4 Digit Sky radio channels - Discussion

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by scoopuk, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Apr 1, 2005 #1 of 271
    scoopuk

scoopuk TiVo from week 1

Mar 7, 2001
    London N7
    Well it needs to be.

The TiVo service is great at supporting recording of radio programmes, almost as important for me as the TV channels.

If the UK software needs a tweak and a minor upgrade so be it. It needs to be done by Tivo and downloaded to our boxes, not everyone is a computer hacker or IT expert, some of us mortals on here are just Tivo customers.

Remember it's TIVO boxes which are supposed to be unavailable here, not our Tivo service which we're still paying monthly for.

2. Apr 2, 2005 #2 of 271
    GarySargent

GarySargent New Member

Oct 27, 2000
    W. Yorks, UK
    I suspect it is unlikely any software upgrade would happen - especially as the workaround would be to not be able to access the radio channels. That might upset some, but is no different from some Freeview boxes where you have to press a button to toggle to the radio channels.

----------------

If you are interested in buying or renting marquees for your garden, wedding, or birthday party in the Derbyshire area, then have a look at: http://www.derbyshiregardenmarqueehire.co.uk

3. Apr 2, 2005 #3 of 271
    OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    It is a lot different.

With Freeview you brought a box that didn't work - and lived with it.

With the new situation - you suddenly find you have lost access to something that has worked for years.

I use radio recordings a lot on TiVo - although usually via a Freeview box.

4. Apr 2, 2005 #4 of 271
    Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    So if Sky do start to use four channel numbers for TV channels as well as radio channels does this mean our Tivo's will no longer be of any use (with Sky Digital)?

BTW, I have three Tivo's hooked up to Sky Digiboxes so don't think I'm plugging for Sky+ which of course will be able to handle such a change with a software update.

Automan.

5. Apr 7, 2005 #5 of 271
    Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    All Channels 4 Digits On Sky HD
    As mentioned in another thread details of Sky HD are out it should be possible to downgrade its output to work with Tivo http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds19616.html

Of course with out a doubt all channels will be four digits.
    If this is the case will updated Tivo software be needed?

Automan.

6. Apr 7, 2005 #6 of 271
    GarySargent

GarySargent New Member

Oct 27, 2000
    W. Yorks, UK
    Why without a doubt?

I am of the opinion that we will never get any more software updates ever.

7. Apr 7, 2005 #7 of 271
    Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    For example http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/shownews.php?id=6870

Not that any of the channels will have anything on worth watching :)

Also if Sky are using the same dish / sat combination for HD the channel line with hd and non HD channels must be close to or exceed the 1000 channel barrier.

Automan.

8. Apr 8, 2005 #8 of 271
    pahunt

pahunt Active Member

Apr 7, 2003
    England
    Is there any time scale on when Sky will start rolling out the update, or has it already started?

9. Apr 8, 2005 #9 of 271
    pahunt

pahunt Active Member

Apr 7, 2003
    England
    Prompted by this thread I've just looked at my list of 100-odd season passes and wishlists and I've found that there are really only 3 things that I would lose by going from Sky to Top-up TV, Most Haunted on LivingTV, 24 on Sky One and new episodes of the Simpsons on Sky One (and those will come to C4 eventually no doubt).

Perhaps it might be a good time to ditch that digibox once and for all.

10. Apr 8, 2005 #10 of 271
    sanderton

sanderton TiVoer since 11/2000

Jan 4, 2002
    You won't be able to attach a Sky HD box to a TiVo. It's only analogue out will be component, and it will not downscale HD to SD resolutions.

All HD boxes will be PVRs anyway.

Four digit channels don't need an update per se; the problem is the leading zero.

11. Apr 18, 2005 #11 of 271
    scoopuk

scoopuk TiVo from week 1

Mar 7, 2001
    London N7
    Absolutely, bearing in mind all the original publicity about Tivo and Sky being the future - which prompted us to buy Tivo in the first place - it surely isn't unreasonable to expect a working service from them when Sky changing their channel numbering system.

If they don't, it will surely raise alarm bells about future continuity of service for would-be American customers, who might ask if they're buying a box which will become redundant in three years or so. So much for it being the future....

Workaround hacks are not enough. We pay for our Tivo service - if they give up on this, how long before they give up all together ?

12. Jun 2, 2005 #12 of 271
    xxxx

xxxx New Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Over the...
    sanderton: That's from the horse's mouth at Sky. Only analogue out is component,

If it's coming from Sky then it's more likely to be out of the horse's ar*e than its mouth.

I for one will eat my proverbial hat if the SkyHD box doesn't have either RF output, composite, RGB, S-Video or (much more likely) some mixture of some/all of them, along with whatever it has in the way of component and DVI/HDMI.

My bet is on RF with TVLink compatibility, composite scart and RGB scart. Just like all existing Sky digiboxes. They would have to be bonkers to alienate the owners of the existing 30+million TVs in the UK, few of which have component or digital inputs. Even those with DVI or component compatible screens in their lounge today probably also have an older CRT screen in the bedroom or kitchen, linked to their digibox in the lounge via coax or a videosender.

13. Jun 2, 2005 #13 of 271
    sanderton

Jan 4, 2002
    I'm seeing them again next week so I'll ask!

Can't think why you'd add all those outputs when to use the box you need an HD Ready set and all HD Ready sets have HDMI.

14. Jun 2, 2005 #14 of 271
    xxxx

xxxx New Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Over the...
    sanderton : Can't think why you'd add all those outputs when to use the box you need an HD Ready set and all HD Ready sets have HDMI.

As I mentioned: for use with other sets/recorders in the house that don't have any HD or component connections.

Unless Sky think that anyone getting an HDbox will also get a regular box, or keep the one they have with some sort of mirror subscription?

I don't know about other people but I would think about getting an HDdigibox even if I didn't have an HDTV, purely because the broadcast quality of many regular sat channels is far below the quality that my regular TV could display if the broadcast quality was better. So using an HDbox with my old TV would still give me a much better picture than I have now. A good reason to get one, I think, and one that might tempt many. Though if it had no analogue output this would be a complete non-starter, hence the daftness of not giving such a box suitable analogue outputs.

15. Jun 2, 2005 #15 of 271
    sanderton

Jan 4, 2002
    I'm sure the assumption is that very few people will pay the exra for an HD box if they have no HD TV.

One thing that Sky were very explit about is that the box will NOT downscale HD to SD resolution - whatever is broadcast, that's what will come out of the anlaogue out. So your SD TV would not work except when it was tuned to an SD channel.

16. Jun 3, 2005 #16 of 271
    GarySargent

GarySargent New Member

Oct 27, 2000
    W. Yorks, UK
    4 Digit Sky Channels is an important topic so can we keep offtopic conversations of HD TV in the chit-chat thread please?

17. Aug 31, 2005 #17 of 271
    bounderboy

bounderboy Not so New Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Newcastle,...
    I know its a bit of a sadistic view but it almost gives an insight on how Tivo views the UK market with regards to additional coding.

And it also gives the Forum something interesting to read again :)

18. Aug 31, 2005 #18 of 271
    GarySargent

GarySargent New Member

Oct 27, 2000
    W. Yorks, UK
    To be fair it is unrealistic to expect TiVo to continually patch their software to cope with changes in software sent to digiboxes. It's a shame the current IR code isn't more configurable, but it isn't.

I've yet to see a definitive new channel list - is there one? I know there was speculation that sky would use 0<number> for radio channels, but I've yet to see this confirmed by Sky anywhere.

19. Aug 31, 2005 #19 of 271
    ALanJay

ALanJay New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    London,...
    This has been confirmed by Sky, what there isn't is a list of new channel numbers. But within the next 3 months the radio channels will switch to begin with "0". Sky have a big EPG channel number reshuffle coming and to perform it they have to move the radio channels.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds20466.html
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds20318.html

Sky have said this all in press briefings and the software is now in all the digiboxes and most of the Sky+ boxes so it can't be long before the autumn roll out of the change.

Garry I do agree that TiVo can't be expected to jump every thime there is an issue but I'm sure they know what is going on and it would be good if they said how they were going to deal with it (doing nothing defines what they will do).

The current software in the Digiboxes is exactly how the software will work with the new EPG the current TV channels will all have 3 digits if you want radio you will have to add a zero (see the speaker icon) and then enter the channel number of the radio station. You can check the behaviour now :)

Earlier in the thread there were comments about second STB one way to do this with the current second STB via RF would be to put the radio channels in a second "Sky Radio" STB on the RF input that required 4 digits with leading zeros (all current options). The only down side would be that you wouldn't get stereo.

20. Aug 31, 2005 #20 of 271
    the_moog

the_moog New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Surrey, UK
    No it isn't... not when we're paying £10/month for an ongoing service!!!