4/15/13 pre-emptions (Boston Marathon bombing coverage)

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by Rob Helmerichs, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis

Advertisements

NBC will be replacing Revolution with a special report.

I'm guessing more will follow.

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    thanks.. I actually heard Brian Williams mention a special report (while listening to the NBC nightly news podcast), but couldn't remember if that affected anything I watch!

3. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    the daily show is a rerun, so i suspect colbert will be too.

4. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Looks like only NBC pre-emptied their prime time line up and it appeared to be primarily a ratings grab since there was no new news in the broadcast and it just kept showing the video over and over again while talking to random survivors. It lowered my opinion of NBC that they appear to be taking advantage of the tragedy.

5. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts

Advertisements

?

We had stuff scheduled to tape on ABC, CBS and FOX Boston affiliates and all were wiped out by coverage, too... so no Castle, Hawaii Five-O, The Following, etc...

6. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    Ignad, yes all of Boston locals were preempted, Morac is referring to the rest of the country where not everything was preempted.

There is no doubt when these tragedies occur there needs to be some coverage obviously, but what exactly is the point of running hours and hours of talking heads rehashing the very little information that is known?

7. NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    you will want to be sure to reschedule the following - thought it was the best episode of the season.

8. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I understand how Boston stations would have non-stop coverage. But as SeanC says, it really serves no purpose to spend this much air time on a story that has NO breaking news. It seems easy enough to break in if something big happens, but to rehash the same videos... :mad:

Seems especially strange that NBC decides to air its monster hit The Voice, then pull Revolution. Or maybe it's not so strange...:rolleyes:

This will screw up the ratings for Revolution. First, they miss an episode. Now DVRs will not record the re-airing. People will get pissed. From a purely ratings POV, strange decision. Did they get more eyeballs with the news special than the normal programming?

I know for us, we used the "extra time" to catch up from Sunday, which has suddenly become crowded again.

9. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    Is there any word when stuff will air again on the Boston affiliates? I also had stuff on ABC, CBS, and FOX that didn't record.

10. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    I changed my SP for Revolution to "All with Duplicates" for the time being until guide data settles back into the routine.

Calculated risk for NBC where if there had been anything new, they would have been on top of it? I doubt it. Seems to me they're just floundering and this was just another decision that may not have been the best. I have no idea if Revolution isn't pulling in ratings so it was 'six of one, half a dozen of another' for NBC, or if they really felt better about airing a one-hour, rehash clip show. I have very little respect left for their news department anyway.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I just scheduled enough stuff at 9:00 that Revolution got bumped. So when it airs, TiVo won't think it's already been recorded.

12. NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    nbc might have noticed that cnn, with around 250k viewers at night, gets about 900k+ viewers during a major news event, and decided to see if they could pull a few over to their news reporting.

13. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    According to one report that I have seen...
    The decision to pull the episode was based on the fact that there is a (nuclear) bomb involved significantly in the plot, and NBC needed to fill the hour with something rather quickly.
    Besides, rehashing old news with interviews of eyewitnesses seemed to be what CNN had been doing all day (and night) anyway.

14. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    That's been CNN's job for the last 5 years or so. ;)

As for the pull reason, we'll see how that plays out. If it's only a one week (or less) delay, I don't see the content having anything to do with it. Besides one thing has very little to do with the other.

Back when the first season of 24 first aired, if i recall correctly it was pushed back several months because of 9/11 as the first scene involved a plane crash.

15. NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    that report makes sense, and imho, was a sound decision

16. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    Yeah, I guess I will do that. I imagine most of the stuff here will get re-aired in late night since this is the only market that got everything bumped, other than Revolution. It's definitely not going to re-air in the normal slots.

17. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    Yeah, I'll do that too.

18. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about it. But I think the flip side of it is the feeling some have that, under the circumstances, it's wrong to just carry on with life as if nothing happened -- to be entertained on the regular schedule. So, they preempt, and they dwell on it, and they rehash, because what else can they decently do? Not exactly my sentiment, but I can understand it.

19. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Out here in the West, it looks like all my network shows recorded w/o interruption. I just had The Following, Mike & Molly, 2 Broke Girls, and Rules of Engagement - all of which seem to have aired. The rest of my shows last night were on cable channels.

I guess the networks were done with the 24/7 coverage by last night in Pacific Time. I did miss The Chew at noon, but I guess that's not surprising.

I don't want to sound insensitive either, but hours and hours and hours and hours (days) of the same coverage, just re-hashing the same exact info, gets tedious. This morning MSNBC is still rehashing the same story to the exclusion of any other news. Looks like CNN is doing the same.

20. dylking

dylking I've never farded

Jul 20, 2003
    St Paul, MN
    According to the nbc website, it looks like the pre-empted episode will be shown next week in the normal slot. Don't know if they just shifted the whole schedule or not..