3TB Drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Soapm, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    What would limit a S3 HD from taking a 3TB Drive? Anyone ever tried it?

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Hardware & software both.
    If this an OLED S3, nobody has gone beyond 1.35TB usable space except dvr_dude and weaKnees. And they haven't gone beyond 2TB.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that an S3 of any kind can use more than a total of 2TB of disk space, internal and external combined.

3. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    I guess I meant TivoHD. Thanks for the input, just considering what drive to get. None of the recommendation charts are updated with 2TB drives and it is equally as hard finding a 2TB drive without advance format (4k) what ever that means???

4. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    Follow the instructions in this thread http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=462179 to upgrade a Tivo HD to 2tb. You can use a Western Digital WD20EARS (or WD20EARX if the EARS isn't available). You have to run a WD utility to reset the idle time, but that takes about 5 minutes (including the time to boot a machine into DOS to run said utility). I just did that and it works just fine.

5. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Any idea what the mis alignment of the partitions because of the 4K sectors means in the real world? You apparently don't notice a difference so I assume not much?

6. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    I have no idea what you are talking about so I'm guessing the answer is "not much". I just followed the instructions in the first posting in that thread and everything worked out fine Do run wdidle if you use a WD drive tho.

7. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Based on experience of people in this forum,including myself(WD10EARS in my THD)), there doesn't seem to be an impact on TiVo performance. There were some tests run on general purpose PCs about a year-and-a-half ago. They showed a severe performance hit in that situation.

You could go with the Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000. Doesn't appear to be advanced format and is about the same price as the WD20EARS. Acoustics appear to be acceptable.

8. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Looks like an ok drive but if the WD's are working well for everyone then I may jump on that wagon. I just need to figure out how to put a 2TB drive in a Tivo HD. I keep reading about a special image that is needed but can't find a link anywhere. Not even google...

9. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    It's worth reading the last 5 pages or so of posts in the Expansion Drive upgrade thread:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=370784
    but here is one post there that I think comes pretty close to answering your basic need:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8340017

10. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    I saw those, what isn't clear to me is if I can upgrade using the image on my existing drive or do I need this special hybrid image that is elusive and scarce.

After that I will have to figure out how to stick it in SApper so I can use it when I hack the drive. All this reading is frustrating since some of it contradicts and sometimes things change over time. It was said there was just a line in the XL code that let it take 2TB vs the THD. Did Tivo ever change that line in the code???

11. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You might want to take a look at this thread.

12. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Hopefully this is why I keep getting linked to that thread...

I think I see the light, I kept reading KenVA success as being able to expand the image the second time. I recall there were limitations where you could only expland the image once.

Reading the thread it links to then going up a few post I now see that KenVa expended a 1TB to a 2TB the second time around. I guess this means I can expand to 2TB on a TivoHD with just using JMFS.

Thanks guys, I think that part of the light just came on.

Now to figure out how to do this using SApper to hack the Tivo. I think I can create a back up image of the drive and stick it in the sapper folder and it should recognize the image and install it. My question is how it has to be named in order to be recognized as an image file.

13. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Ah. Your trepidation is somewhat more understandable now. You never mentioned that you had already expanded once.

14. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    No, more simple than that. I didn't know he expanded a THD to 2TB.

You see, you only have to link me to a thread 6 or 7 times before the light comes on. I know some people are plain hardheaded and won't see the light. Glad I'm not one of them... ;)

I also got my answer about SApper, if no image is included then it will hack the existing image on the drive. Only took me 2 years to figure that out. I'll be landing a man on the moon any day now. I promised President Kennedy I'd work on that... :D

15. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Hey if you want to run in the elite world of TiVo hackers, you gotta pay some dues. :p I'm surprised you aren't able to get this info from that "other" forum, never to be mentioned here. I haven't hacked, but I came close, just lost my nerve.

Actually a lot of the frustrating, seemingly inconsistent aspects are there even for just DIY drive upgrades, without actual TiVo code hacking.

16. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    I don't mind paying dues as long as it's learning... That other place seems dead these days. Not much posting happening there... Also, I use SApper to hack my sets and that can't be mentioned there...

17. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Oh. You skipped right to the Notes section of the first post. Do you read the end of mysteries first too?:D

Keep working on it. Currently, the U.S. can't even get a man into space.:mad: Col. McCauley, we need you!!

18. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    OK, now I'm going to be like you and Google TV. What is SApper? I've never heard of it. :)

And ... why can't it be mentioned on that "other place" ?

19. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    There's a bit of irony here. Why didn't you google it? That's what I did since I'd never heard of it either.

20. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=349477

Sapper is an script that does all the hacking and installs tools like busybox, TWP etc...

Over there scripts like SApper are considered rookie sh@t. They do all their hacks old style which isn't for us rookies who know nothing about Linux and even less about hacking Tivo's.