30-Second Skip

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by kaykay4@sbcgloba, Jul 15, 2015.

1. kaykay4@sbcgloba

kaykay4@sbcgloba New Member

Jul 15, 2015

Advertisements

I've been using TiVo for years. I'm now on a Premiere. I have used this code:
    SPS30S
    to add a 30-second skip function to all my units/remotes with success.

A friend asked me tonight if I would set up the skip code for her new Roamio. She has the 30-second scan feature and doesn't like it.

I did my usual:
    SPS30S
    and I couldn't get it to work on her Roamio.

Checked online and others have had successes and failures. Some posts say to use SPS30S when watching a live show; others say use SPS30S while playing back a recorded show; others still say use an additional Select (SSPS30S) while watching a live show; others, of course say use SSPS30S while playing back a recorded show.

Does anyone really have a definitive code? Or do I just keep trying these 4 over and over until one of them works???

2. mchief

mchief Morey

Sep 10, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    SPS30S while watching a recorded show has always worked for me.

3. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    +1

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It can be done even on Live TV, Try

Select-Select-Play-Select-3-0-Select

5. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

Having been a long time TiVo user back in the early DirecTV days, I swore that the first thing I would do with my Roamio is switch it to 30Skip...

After playing with 30Scan for a while now, I find that I prefer it... I love quickly queueing up 30 second skips and watching the time accumulate, and having the ability to quickly stop the scan if I anticipated too many commercials...

6. Leo_N

Leo_N Lucky 200 member

Nov 12, 2003
    Wisconsin, USA
    Check to make sure the service level is OK. While having recent issues with my Premiere I was locked out of the enabling the 30 sec skip (amongst many other things) until everything got fixed.

7. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    What is "service level"?

8. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Look under System Information screen.

9. regor101

regor101 New Member

May 5, 2012
    NJ (Phila...

Try this; it should work on her Roamio and your Premiere to undo the 30 second skip:

From TiVo Central, select “Settings & Messages”, then “Settings”, then “Remote & Devices”, then ‘Remote Control Setup”, then “Part 4: ADVANCE and REPLAY buttons”, then select “ADVANCE skips to tick”.

This worked on my Roamio Plus, Premiere and Mini 2.

10. kaykay4@sbcgloba

Jul 15, 2015
    An aside ... The long, narrow, standard TiVo remotes never felt good in my small hand. I was always using 2 hands. As soon as I tried using my friend's Roamio remote, I had to have one. Thank you, TiVo!!!

When I tried using the new remote with my Premiere setup, it had the 30-second skip built in. I don't know why. I started trying combinations of SPS30S and SSPS30S when I was playing back recorded shows, when watching live shows, with the Pause button on, with the Pause button off, with the Tut ad showing, without the Tut ad showing. Maybe I tried other combinations, but by that time I was slap happy, and I don't remember

I never found one that consistently gave me the 30-second skip or the 30-second scan. So I kept at it until I was back to the 30-second skip and stopped.

And there you have it!?!?

11. donnoh

donnoh Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Sometimes I have had to do it numerous times to work. Don't know why, but when it doesn't work, try, try and try again and eventually it will.

12. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    That sounds like its the 30-sec scan instead of 30-sec skip. If you press ->| jump button, and you can still watch the video as it scrolls rapidly, that's the 30-sec scan. 30-sec skip just jumps ahead.

13. kaykay4@sbcgloba

Jul 15, 2015
    I was surprised when I was trying all those combo codes and states that some gave me the scan and some the skip. I prefer the 30-second skip, so when I was ready to stop the test, I waited until I got to the skip, and then I stopped playing!

Haven't had the chance to play with my friends Roamio setup, but will try again when I can.

FYI ... When I did it with the Tut ad showing, the first Select brought me right to the ad. DUH!!!

14. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It should be done either during a recorded show playing or Live TV and never in the menu. When the code works, there should be 3 dings.

15. kaykay4@sbcgloba

Jul 15, 2015
    (I'm not being funny or sarcastic ...) Never heard any dings on my setup and heard only two dongs (when I touched the 3 and 0) on the Roamio.