30 second skip turns to 5 seconds?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by newsposter, Feb 12, 2006.

1. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA

Advertisements

Anyone else have this? For the past week sometimes the 30 sec skip turned to about 5 seconds. Quite bizarre. I figured out after I turned it on and off, it worked. Then this AM I woke up to channel not available and was forced to reboot. the 30 second skip then worked ok for a bit then reverted to 5 again. Toggling on and off worked again. But any idea why this is happening?

I doubt it has anything to do with it but I just turned on Tivo suggestions as a space indicator this week. Weird coincidence though

edit: I know we are in the HD group but i just wanted to be clear I only have seen this in HDtivo, not the t60. Posting your model may help also.

2. zyzzx

zyzzx Go Bucks! TCF Club

Jan 22, 2002
    Severna...
    Yep, happens to me every few weeks. When this happens, the FF modes also don't work right. I just reboot and everything returns to normal.

It usually happens if I'm really FFing and 30 second skipping a lot in a short amount of time. It almost seems like the TiVo is getting confused.

3. poopsie

poopsie Member

Dec 27, 2003
    How do you turn on 30 second skip?

4. hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...
  5. hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...

Advertisements

I have never seen this problem with any of my HR10's and I always use the 30 sec skip. Could it be a symptom of a HD going bad?

6. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    I noticed it on some of the NFL "Game of the Week" in HD that I record on ch. 98. Seems like there's all kinds of glitches there. They've got one slated for 2PM EST, Super Bowl no doubt, that when I try to record from the guide, it wants me to "purchase and record".

7. jaypb

jaypb New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    I love this forum! I JUST happened to tool by this afternoon and noticed your post....last week I did a search and couldn't find any info about the same symptoms you described....and I didn't have time to post about it.

I've had my 250 sub'd since right after Thanksgiving and this just started happening last week. My other 250 doesn't show ANY of the 30 second or ffwd'ing issues.

None of my SD Tivos have shown this issue yet either.

8. Mark Lopez

Mark Lopez Just click ignore

Jan 1, 2000
    Hondo TX
    FWIW, I've only had this happen twice and one of them was last week (but only during one recorded show).

9. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    This only happened recently to me (got the unit in oct. i think) and has never happened with my T60 in almost 3 years. It's nice to be able to toggle on/off without a reboot, especially since I dont get the 119 and the fruit loops take forever to get to 100% when I do have to reboot.

I'm going to try to narrow down if perhaps it's OTA vs satellite but not sure if that's it at all. But the more info people post the better we can all feel :)

10. lutton

lutton New Member

Mar 10, 2004
    I've seen this too. It seems to happen in distinct sections of some shows. Almost like to program data is different.

11. NYHeel

NYHeel Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2003
    It happens to me farily often. It usually happens when I've been pressing the button a lot, although that could be coincidental. Often, it just starts working again without me having to so anything. Sometimes I toggle the 20 second skip off then on although that doesn't always work.

By the way it happens to me for both 30 second skip and 8 second rewind. It just jumps one frame or about 1 second.

12. dave3

dave3 2 yr old twins, help

Oct 28, 2003
    Great Neck,...
    Happened a few times over the last few weeks.

david

13. coachO

coachO New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    near...
    Just happened to me recently also.

14. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    Maybe it 'is' a conspiracy :)

15. digitalant

digitalant New Member

Oct 4, 2002
    NYC
    This has happened to me too. I believe it only happened when I was watching an HD program that was longer than 1 hour (recorded Inside Actors Studio with Chappelle last night) and it was doing it then. YMMV

16. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    I've only noticed it in live TV when rewound into the buffer. When you get close to the end of the buffer (close to live) the 30 sec jump seems to get shorter.

17. keitho

keitho New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    sf bay area
    I just noticed this today for the first time. It happened while I was watching an HD basketball game that I had recorded. It also seemed to start when I was quickly hitting the 30-sec and replay. I don't have an OTA connection so it only has occurred from a satellite-received recording. My HR10 is about 5 months old. My SAT-T60 nor my SV-2000 has never done this.

18. dave3

dave3 2 yr old twins, help

Oct 28, 2003
    Great Neck,...
    Last night it happened again and now it is bugging me, since I like to fast forward past all the BS while watching the olympics.

dave

19. jaypb

jaypb New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Figured I'd revive this and bump it up to see if anyone else (other than those on this thread) is having the issue lately.

I'm still experiencing the 30 second skip turning into 2,3,4,5 seconds as well as when I hit the FFWD button twice or 3 times....it's almost like it's "Stuck" on the 1X FFWD mode....where it's moving ahead at the 1x speed....although I've hit the button (and it shows on the green location bar) as 3x. Go figure.

Also, just a few nights ago, after the 2nd FFWD button hit the unit goes RIGHT to "pause"....and I have no clue why. Hitting play "unpauses" it. And then hitting FFWD 2x's again returns the unit to "pause" again.

Odd. :confused:

It's getting VERY darn tedious trying to get through SportsCenter on this unit. I think I'll just start recording movies and such so I can avoid the Fast Forwarding issues.... :mad:

20. greywolf

greywolf New Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Evanston IL
    I've had it happen with some areas of Olympic coverage.