30 minute buffer, still have questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by thewolfe, Jul 26, 2007.

1. thewolfe

thewolfe New Member

Jun 8, 2006

Advertisements

My wife watches T.V. w/ the regular T.V. remote so I don't know what channel will be on last.

I would like to be able to use the 30 minute TiVo buffer whenever I want to so that I could catch up on a program.

Is there anyway to do that.

Normally what happens is I turn on the T.V. with the Tivo remote, hit the "Watch T.V. button and what ever station it starts at is where my buffer starts.

Is there a way for me to land on the channel I want to buffer?

I have a Series 2 DT.

2. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    The TiVo buffers the channel it is currently tuned to. So when you turn it on it would have 2 30 minute buffers from whatever channel the two tuners were left on.

There isn't a way to give the TiVo a preferred channel to switch back to when it is idle.
    (For specific timeslots there is a workaround to set a 5 minute manual recording on that channel just before the timeslot. Some people use this to make sure their preferred broadcast news is on when they turn their TVs on in the morning)

Of course when you change the channel to whatever you want to watch the TiVo start buffering that channel, rather than what it was buffering before...

Often the easiest thing to do is simply to set season passes for all the shows you want to watch and then never deal with the live buffer behavior.

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Hide the TV remote. :)

4. thewolfe

thewolfe New Member

Jun 8, 2006
    Thanks for the posts.

They were both informative.

I watch the Golf Channel when nothing else is on and there's always something on there that I wished I had seen a little more of.

So I'll try to remember to leave it on that channel before I "disengage".

5. dvr4me

dvr4me New Member

Jul 10, 2007

Advertisements

Keep in mind, thewolfe, that your Tivo will remain on the last channel it was tuned to and that includes the last channel that had recorded. So if you leave it on the golf channel and the Tivo records NBC later, it will stay on NBC until you change it back to the golf channel via changing the channel manually, or by recording.

I believe that is why people manually setup a 5 minute recording; so the Tivo will buffer the channel that had been recorded. That way when they turn on the TV, one of the tuners should have that channel tuned in and they can start viewing the buffer.

6. thewolfe

thewolfe New Member

Jun 8, 2006
    A little more clarity, thanks.

7. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    You like to watch the golf channel. Set up a 5 minute manual recording every night at, say, 4AM, for the golf channel. You will have programs in your now playing list to get rid of, but your tuner will be tuned to the golf channel and your buffer will be full of whatever the golf channel is broadcasting.

8. thewolfe

thewolfe New Member

Jun 8, 2006
    Good paln, thanks.