30 days later, my impressions

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by gsusser, Jul 31, 2011.

1. gsusser

gsusser Member

Jul 10, 2011

Advertisements

I've had TiVo a month now and some thoughts. I'm satisfied with the purchase and have no regrets despite the shortcomings I've come across. I'm no expert and am only a "casual" TV watcher, but I'm not new to DVR's - I had a DVR with DISH that I thought was fantastic. Then I moved to a building where satellite is not allowed and got stuck with Comcast and their poor excuse for a DVR. It made me appreciate DISH's DVR that much more.

My initial plan in opting for TiVo was to save money and drop cable altogether and use an antenna. The reason I wanted TiVo was I like to watch stuff when I want.

Unfortunately, the antenna didn't work out because of my location. So, I'm still with Comcast, though I downgraded to the most basic service I could get with a cable card. [As luck would have it, they screwed up so bad with the cable card installation, I got a year of HBO for free.] All in all, I made out okay financially since I have internet service with Comcast. If I dropped TV altogether, the charge for internet would have more than doubled. My total monthly bill with a fast internet speed is about $100 which includes TiVo. It was $140 before TiVo. I don't get as many channels, but that's irrelevant to me.

I think the DVR from DISH is better, though not significantly. One drawback with TiVo is the 30 second fast forward. It seems it has to buffer and there's a delay if you press it a few times, which I do to skip commercials. The season pass seems flaky. Sometimes I get an option to only record new stuff and other times not, causing me to go to another menu to change the option. My memory is a little hazy on this one, but I think with DISH, I was pretty much able to continue viewing whatever I was watching in a small screen in the corner while doing other things. With TiVo, that's not the case all the time.

Netflix - it's a drag not being able to delete individual TV shows; you have to delete the season. I always forget where I left off.

Hulu Plus - I haven't found anything useful. It takes a long time to load and it uses different controls on the remote which I haven't gotten used to. And there's nothing I'm interested in anyway.

Sorry if any of this stuff has been discussed, though I did go through a good many postings. I'm grateful that there is such a board.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I have found a way to keep tabs on what episodes of a season for the Netflix shows, since Netflix marks where you have stopped off, when you are through watching a certain episode, simply REW back until you have at least 5+ minutes away from the ending, press play and then left arrow to leave the video. Now when you look at a season's individual episode, you would see 'Resume Playing', indicating you may be done with that episode and move on to the next, press ch down.

This method may not be accurate since you could have exited the video prior to finishing, but that is the only way I can think of to 'mark' the episodes.

3. Aug 1, 2011 #3 of 19
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Hmm I don't suffer from any delay and routinely queue up to about 3 minutes with the 30 second skip feature.

As far as the season pass, you should always see the option to set new or repeats. If you list some shows as an example, I would be curious to see them. You might just be selecting get a season pass rather than hitting right at get a season pass to select options so you can customize it.

The reason the window doesn't stay up all the time is due to the transition still between the SD and HD UI. When and if TiVo ever finishes it, it should stay up permanently. This wasn't a feature in the SDUI.

4. Aug 1, 2011 #4 of 19
    TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    OP: You refer to the 30-second skip as a "30-second fast forward" - have you enabled the actual SKIP, not just the "super-fast-foward-30-seconds" default behavior? If not, watch a previously recorded show, then hit select-play-select-3-0-select to enable it. It should just "jerk" to 30-seconds-later instead of "fast forwarding."

Apologies if this was just nonspecific language, but my first thought was that the 30-second SKIP for me has had no issues, whereas the 30-second-FF (when I tried it out when my boxes were new) did sometimes have glitches.

5. Aug 1, 2011 #5 of 19
    gsusser

gsusser Member

Jul 10, 2011

Advertisements

I was curious about this and called tech support. The rep said this is the default setting and that TiVo is required per some broadcasting rule to program it to do a fast scan instead of a jump. She went on to say it can be programmed to do a jump but she couldn't tell me how to do it. It was quite funny but I understood. She "suggested" that I google this issue and I would probably find what I was looking for. And I did over here - well, I just found out I can't post links until I have more posts - all these silly rules, haha, weaknees dot com/30/ - or google "tivo 30 second fast forward" - it was the second hit.

I forgot to add that I really love the programmable remote. I'm out of touch - I wonder if most remotes are programmable these days. The TiVo remote is all I use now.

6. Aug 1, 2011 #6 of 19
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    You might prefer to enable the 30 second skip.
    Start playing a previously recorded show, and then press 'Select' 'Play' 'Select' '3' '0' 'Select' on the remote.

7. Aug 1, 2011 #7 of 19
    gsusser

gsusser Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Thank you, the 30 second skip works great now.

8. Aug 1, 2011 #8 of 19
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You apparently don't realize this is illegal. As long as you have a view to a sky, you cannot be forbidden to use a mini dish on the part of the property you rent/control. (That doesn't mean you can screw it into walls/the roof.)

(BTW, I'm a cable user, just passing this on.)

9. Aug 2, 2011 #9 of 19
    gsusser

gsusser Member

Jul 10, 2011

10. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010

11. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    I had the TiVo for 5 days and for the device that "started it all"...or at least with such a well known name... I found the TiVo to be pretty crude. You would think that in this age, the most recognized brand in DVR would have an interface more like the Nintendo Wii with a pointer remote, or at least one with a g-sensor or something. Instead, like all past generic DVR's, you have to press a million arrow keys and buttons scattered across the remote with both hands.

The menu is sluggish as well. Especially if your internet connection is not perfect latency, you will experience lag in many areas. Something like the cable co's menus which don't really change much, should be downloaded in full periodically. Except they fetch menu items on-the-fly. Even the internet videos, etc. menus should be pre-fetched in aniticipation to smooth operations a little bit. They should also have a "text only" option so that ppl with high latency, esp. wireless connections can opt out on images or something.

I'm kind of disapointed in the overall design of the device as i expected more. The only thing this makes me think, is that the media companies and digital rights mumbo jumbo has helped these manufacturer's lock onto the market to inhibit progress and get away with forcing ppl to settle of whatever they can get. I'm surprised the Windows Media (or any PC based DVR) has come along so slow, but it's obviously because they had so many restrictions on cable-cards / psuedo-legal chokeholds that it made it impossible for much innovation in Telivision delivery and user experience. And it's all because they felt a few ppl would hack it and make special software to copy TV shows. While in fact, those ppl who want to copy tv shows find other ways to do it already and this doesn't stop them form getting a hold of in-theater titles even! These entetainment industry execs are so old fashioned and don't know anything about computers. I mean, the software industry is no where near as paranoid as these jokers and they make off fine.

12. P42

P42 Active Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Sounds like you are using the HDUI, try using the SDUI.

13. dsnotgood

dsnotgood Member

Aug 25, 2010
    I had the same issue. Go into your display settings and pick the SD user inferface (SDUI) instead of the high def one.

14. gsusser

gsusser Member

Jul 10, 2011
    It's now 90 days and overall, I'd give it a B or a B+. My expectations when I bought it were pretty high. I thought that buying from the innovator, I would be getting the best. Oh well.

I am not a power user (if there is such a thing) nor am I a big TV watcher. I'm just interested in the basics of watching and recording TV without too much of a hassle. I'd probably give it an A or A- if I didn't have to reset it too often, like every few weeks. I don't know if this is a common issue, but for no apparent reason, the video becomes blurry and I see double. To correct it, I have to power it down and disconnect and reconnect various cables... the coax cable to the TV, the internet and the USB remote. This is a major hassle and takes a total of about 10 minutes or more.

I'm happy with Netflix streaming and that's the only outside service I use. Amazon disappeared from my options but I never used it anyway. And Hulu+ is not only a hassle, but they have nothing I'm interested in.

Another beef is not being able to get 24/7 support, though they do have long hours. And last, I think the guide could have been constructed more efficiently - they should take a lesson from DISH, whose DVR is superior IMO. In any event, I'm generally satisfied and have no buyer's remorse.

15. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    The reboot is slow because of the way TiVo handles the security checks from what I have read, but no what you describe is not normal. Unfortunately it could be any number of things. I would check the temp of the box when it happens. Are the recordings also blurry when you play them back after the reboot? If not it might be a bad cable or video out. I would definitely contact TiVo about it.

The guide is currently 10 years old. Eventually it will be updated and if you want what many of us think are a preview check out some of the videos of the Virgin UK TiVo which has an updated guide. Just picture the guide in blue rather than the Virgin red.

16. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    I HATE HATE HATE how the Wii works!!!! If Tivo EVER goes this route, I'm gone!!

17. avediswolf

avediswolf New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    The Dish VIP722 is an awesome DVR. I had to give up dish because I moved, and couldn't get a line of sight to the satellites, and I'd have to take down 3 huge trees, and the cost of that was not justifiable.

Tried TWC's Whole House DVR, but I really couldn't stand their interface, and the fact that half the channels I don't subscribe to, and they really annoyed me being in the guide, and unable to hide them, I decided to give TiVo a shot.

I too, and satisfied so far, but not quite 30 days in yet, but compared to TWC, I'm sure I'm sicking with it.

18. gsusser

gsusser Member

Jul 10, 2011
    No, the box is not hot. Everything is blurry from live TV to the HD screens to recordings. Yesterday, a different variation happened after switching inputs from my DVD device to TV. I was able to get everything (recordings and menus with no blurriness but no live TV). I'll give TiVo a ring.

19. Dr Strangelove

Dr Strangelove New Member

Sep 19, 2011
    That 30 second skip is quite handy