30 Days - "Animal Rights" (6/17)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Marc, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 26, 1999
    McMurray, PA

Advertisements

This one finally felt true to form for "30 Days" episodes, where someone with a contrary opinion is subjected to the other side's life for the "30 days" and comes out with some sort of transformation, or at least having learned something from the experience.

I wasn't really convinced, though, that he really changed his mind all that much. I guess I was just expecting it too much so that when it happened, I figured it was more of a result of producers coaching him how to react and what answers to give. The second half of the episode seemed too staged and less genuine. Perhaps I'm just being cynical.

With some of the follow-up episodes of Intervention giving a look at how people have changed over a longer term, I'd like to see something like that looking at people who had these "30 Days" experiences and whether any real changes resulted. I fear that there wouldn't be anything positive to report.

I'm looking forward to next week's episode on "Same-Sex Parenting". With the recent action in California, it's rather timely. I'm also very partial to that particular topic. Of course, knowing how this show goes, I already know what the outcome will be, but it'll still be interesting to see someone have the opportunity to learn about something that they wouldn't necessarily have been exposed to otherwise.

2. coolpenguin

coolpenguin New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Glen Burnie, MD
    I haven't seen this one yet, but I"m looking forward to it. Some are hit or miss for me...the former football player in the wheelchair was "eh" for me, but the coal mining one was interesting.

3. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    I don't even think I can watch this episode. I'm very sensitive to animal cruelty and I don't think I can deal with it.

4. robpickles

robpickles Lurking Around

May 19, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    It was very hard to watch for my wife.

I also had a problem watching the dogs being put to sleep section.

Rob :)

5. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly

Advertisements

The dog section was done in a way where you KNEW it was going to happen but they didn't show it.

The cow stuff was sad. Really sad but I also agree I felt the rescue at the end seemed staged.

There are surely scenes that will upset you. The way the handlers moved the baby cows was appalling. The conditions are sad enough but when humans are inhumane it is just upsetting.

Then again I think PETA people are total idiots. The whole Sanders slaughter by a chicken thing just makes them look like total whack jobs. I realize they do it to garner attention but I have to think there is better ways than that demostration or yelling into bullhorns and annoying people.

6. Warren

Warren Wild Hair

Oct 18, 2001
    i watched this while eating chicken. hmm

7. Enrique

Enrique Well-Known Member

May 15, 2006
    I ate a burger :). As long Animals are killed in a sanitary way then I don't care how there treated. and as far as "Animal Rights" go... No I don't think Animals should have rights(excluding the Human Animal), they are there to be eaten or be pets(or both) that is it as for as I'm concerned.

8. Enrique

Enrique Well-Known Member

May 15, 2006
    I don't think the subjects of 30 days are there to change there beliefs but to see the "other side" of things and if they change there minds along the way great, if not then at least they got to see "other side" of things.

9. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 26, 1999
    McMurray, PA
    That's the goal of the show, though. The whole premise of "30 Days" is to put someone into a position where they're already prejudiced and give them an opportunity to remove their ignorance. What this is supposed to show is that prejudice is born out of ignorance, and if we spend time "in the shoes" of the other side, our opinion will naturally change from the new-found understanding.

10. NatasNJ

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    I agree animals don't have rights. But we as humans have the "right" to treat other living beings (even ones we plan to eat) in a humane way. It is fine to want to see animals for food but to think it is ok to beat/torture or abuse them is just uncalled for on so many levels.

11. firerose818

firerose818 Now 65 pounds less! TCF Club

Jul 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Amen. I also couldn't believe the gall of the sanctuary owner to compare slaughtered chickens to the Nazi treatment of Jews in WWII. I think I was yelling at this woman through the TV.

That said, I think that animals (even livestock) deserve to be treated humanely. But rights for animals? No way. I love my dog, but he is after all, a dog!

I also found it odd that the PETA family said that they were against having animals for "entertainment" purposes, but had a house full of dogs. Isn't entertainment the primary reason for having a pet? :confused:

12. NatasNJ

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    I thiink a house pet is more for companionship. And they were against circus animals and such. Some pet entertainment I am sure is great (frisbee dogs, etc...) But they are probably against the ones where the animals are treated like crap. Which is probably common in circus and sideshows, etc...

13. harrinpj

harrinpj Member

Oct 29, 2004
    I also thought it was hypocritical of PETA to say that they want all animals to live a natural life without us manipulating them but when it comes to neutering your pet, they are all for it. I'm not saying I'm against neutering. All 4 of my pets are spayed or neutered. I just thought that was a little hypocritical.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if they think animals should have the same rights as humans, wouldn't you think spaying and neutering would be out of the question? If you did that to certain people that you didn't think should breed, you'd have quite a riot on your hands.

14. flatcurve

flatcurve New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Chicago
    I haven't watched the whole show yet, but I saw maybe the first 30 minutes...

As a vegetarian, I have to say that PETA annoys the hell out of me. I'm not a veg because of the ethics of killing animals. Whatever... animals eat other animals. It happens. It's life, get over it... I'm a vegetarian because of the environmental, health and safety impact of the meat industry. I was a little upset that they didn't at least include that aspect in the debate at all... (if it popped up later in the show, I apologize in advance) The amount of resources consumed just to get a steak to the table is out of control.

And I also have no problem with hunting. Most hunters I know (and I know a few) aren't sadistic blood thirsty savages. They actually respect the animals they kill, and use as much of it as possible. Bag a couple of deer in the season, put it in the deep freeze, and you've got enough meat to last you a while. Plus, the animal lives it's life naturally up until the point that it's killed. It's more analogous to what goes on in nature than the assembly line meat industry we have now.

15. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Dogs don't have natural lives. Dogs evolved alongside human beings and at a very young age, puppies recognize human gestures. Now taking wild animals as pets is not too cool.

PETA ugh. Comparing animals to human beings being slaughtered is just wrong. I believe we should be kind to animals but I also eat meat. Give me a break.

16. nataylor

nataylor Curiously Strong TCF Club

Apr 26, 2000
    Houston, TX
    The PETA thing bugs me, too. At some point, they must consider life "expendable," like the rest of us. Does it start at insects? Will they kill bugs? Will they kill microscopic things? Heck, the very act of existing means they're killing microscopic things all the time. Are they only concerned about vertebrates? I'm just wondering at what point it's OK to kill things for them. They eat vegetables, so they must be OK will killing some living things.

17. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i wont be taking a dog with me anywhere that woman goes if she's gonna save him before me!

So we got the part about the killing of the dog and my wife turned it off...i wont watch that but will watch the rest later. So did they tell us how the PETA people would keep the deer/rabbit etc population down here in PA and other states? Of course by their rationale the fact that deer jump out in front of cars and cause injury death means we should save the deer and not the people in the accidents..but that's beside my point.

And while im no expert on animal reproduction, what do they expect to do with the ever increasing population of every animal?

and WHY not just fight to get more humane treatment rather than just ban cow eating altogether? Seems like it would be easier to get laws and practices changed for the farmers etc rather than get a whole society off meat???

18. Warren

Warren Wild Hair

Oct 18, 2001
    my 6th grade Texas History Teacher was a hunter and he told use that in one county they had reduced the number of deer allowed to be taken in that area. he said that the next year they found lots of dead deer that staved to death. Like it or not hunting will keep them from starving to death. I can see that the rabbit population wouldn't explode the way that deer would cause rabbits are smaller and they can be hunted by large birds, bobcats (or other bobcat sized cats) and dogs. What will kill deer? sure a few cats might get one or two but not enough

19. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    I don't consider this a spoiler, but they really don't show anything. Just the living dog and then the next shot is a (nearly) opaque plastic bag in the corner of the cooler.

20. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    You get rid of the preditors because they are eating your livestock then the rabbits, deer etc. get out of control. Who do ya call, the hunters!!!

I consider myself an environmentalist but some animal protection laws have actually caused nature to get out of balance. Coyotes are in all the lower 48 and Washington DC. Coyotes in Iowa? Really? yep. Part of that is due to human kind providing food for coyotes coast to coast. Now I like coyotes, if they all went away, we would be hip deep in cottontail rabbits and the hare know as the Jack Rabbit. So don't get me wrong about coyotes, but we need them culled. I could not believe it when my cousin in Iowa was talking about coyotes bothering the livestock.

PETA types don't realize that the balance of nature is already changed and for good.

Livestock can be treated humanly. The swine my cousins raise are would almost qualify for organic and the meat tasted like heaven. There are actually good reasons to treat livestock and poultry humanly. It tastes better and the meat is better for you.