30 Day Trial

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Mr. ELITE, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Sep 1, 2011 #1 of 13
    Mr. ELITE

Mr. ELITE New Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Hi Everyone,

I just recently received and hooked up a TIVO PREM to my home theatre for OTA only. After it finished its start up, I realized I was able to record shows immediately. Is this their 30 day free trial ? All I did was connect an ethernet cable to it and show descriptions, recording ability and some internet shows appeared; shows like PANDORA and LIVE365. What I didn't see on the list was NETFLIX. Did they take that away?

Thanks,

john

2. Sep 1, 2011 #2 of 13
    Charles R

Charles R Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    In 7 days it self-destructs. Until then you should be able to access Netflix along with everything else. Don't think you can do transfers however without it being registered to your account. You have thirty-days to cancel your service once registered.

3. Sep 1, 2011 #3 of 13
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    No. Any brand new (or mfr refurbished) Tivo has a free 5 day (? it could be 6 or 7 days, not sure exactly) period. You can find out exactly how long this free period is by going to the "Tivo Central" menu. Select "messages and settings", then select "System Information". I believe on that first page there it tells how many free days remain.

The above pertains whether the Tivo Service is subscribed to or not. (iirc)You will also not be able to use any internet or networking features that the Tivo has, except for communications with the Tivo servers(Guide and time updates, etc).

So it may be best to use this 5(?) day free period first, before the subscription is avtivated, unless you want to use the internet downloads(youtube, etc). Not sure if this 5 day period would be added to the term if you activated the subscription.

4. Sep 1, 2011 #4 of 13
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    If you use the activation code "Antenna", you should receive a lower monthly rate when you subscribe.

5. Sep 1, 2011 #5 of 13
    Charles R

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    It's 7 days as I stated and I can't understand your post regarding what's available during the unregistered period but you can access Internet Apps... I just used Hulu Plus for several days.

6. Sep 1, 2011 #6 of 13
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    In the past network apps were disabled. Obviously MRV didn't work since there was no MAK. And things like Netflix were disabled as well until activated. Perhaps this is something new with the Premiere as I have never used it during the free trial.

7. Sep 1, 2011 #7 of 13
    L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    I don't think it would be added to your subscription. I think the 1-week trial is primarily insurance against instant buyer remorse or "infant mortality" in the hardware. But even if you activate immediately you could still return or exchange the box during the 30-day subscription trial period. After 30 days, you would need to do a messier warranty exchange.

8. Sep 2, 2011 #8 of 13
    Mr. ELITE

Mr. ELITE New Member

Jun 8, 2011
    You are all correct. My TIVO indicated 2 days remaining as of yesterday, 09-01-11. I assume NETFLIX is under the Video on Demand heading which I'm unable to access. Same with Blockbuster and Amazon. I was thinking of going with a Lifetime sub and now TIVO comes out with this 10.00/month OTA only. Don't know what to do. May still go with the Lifetime (may someday go with cable, who knows).

I can't access Picasa. As a subscriber, can you access your computer's audio and video content without any additional charges? That would be a nice plus. Since this is my first exposure to TIVO, I can't compare it to past models. The graphics do look impressive to me though. My only experience with digital broadcasts is with DISH's VIP 722. I had this when I had young'uns still living at home. Since the nest is empty, I decided to drop satellite. Those of you who experienced local HD channels via sat, is the picture quality the same with TIVO receiver as with the sat box ?

BTW, my Pioneer Elite RPTV did not come with a HD tuner. Back then you had to pay an additional $3,000 or so to purchase one. Thus the only 3 options for OTA HD for me is sat/cable, TIVO, or Channelmaster 7000. I decided to go with the TIVO. Hopefully it was a good move and should be reliable for many years if I go with the Lifetime sub.

9. Sep 2, 2011 #9 of 13
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I thought that was correct as to the networking abilities of the Tivo during the initial free period, but not subscribed.

Yes, no extra charges for accessing your networked computer. You can even access your Picassa account photos online, iirc. Same used to be so for Photobucket. Don't know if you still can. Things change, sometimes.

10. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    My flat panel does have a tuner, but I never use it. I went with TiVo Premiere plus lifetime sub. Despite the current software glitches, you should get many years of good service from your TiVo.

11. Charles R

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    I wonder if it varies based on the software version installed? Because I just tried to access them on another brand new TiVo and they aren't in the menu. I know for a fact I viewed hours of Hulu Plus on the another TiVo which was also never registered. It had several versions of the software installed and I don't know which it had when I was viewing Hulu Plus. I give them a test drive once I upgrade the hard drives...

12. Mr. ELITE

Mr. ELITE New Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Actually I can access HULUPLUS. It's AMAZON,BLOCKBUSTER AND NETFLIX that I can't access.

13. Charles R

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    I just went to...

• Settings & messages
    • Settings
    • Channels
    • Video Provider List
    Unselected Hulu Plus, Amazon, Netflix and Blockbuster and then selected each. Went back to the main menu and selected Netflix... shortly it asked me to enter the activation code.

However Amazon Instant Video said it was currently unavailable. I guess you might have to Enable Video Downloads at tivo.com. Same thing for Blockbuster.

So far it appears anything you stream is available and ones you download aren't?