3 Tuner Tivo....Hmmmm

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Resist, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Nov 7, 2007 #1 of 31
    Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003

Advertisements

If a 2 tuner tivo is good, wouldn't a 3 tuner Tivo be even better? Being able to record 3 shows at once......now that would be sweet.

2. Nov 7, 2007 #2 of 31
    mulscully

mulscully Member

May 31, 2003
    Malvern, Pa
    relative man..... then in a year or so we would say 4 tuner Tivo, now that would be sweat..

3. Nov 7, 2007 #3 of 31
    RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    If you have AT&T U-verse in your neighborhood, their DVR will supposedly record FOUR simultaneous shows.

Unfortunately it will only tune one HiDef channel at a time...

4. Nov 7, 2007 #4 of 31
    MikeyB

MikeyB Distracted Member

Jan 7, 2005
    VA
    ^^ That would have been the first GOOD thing I've heard about the U-verse service, but that was negated by the "one HD at-a-time" issue. Yuck. I'd rather spend the money on another TiVo and use MRV.

5. Nov 7, 2007 #5 of 31
    Luke M

Luke M Member

Nov 5, 2002

Advertisements

I believe the multi-stream CableCards can handle six streams, so that's the target to shoot for...

6. Nov 7, 2007 #6 of 31
    MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    I dont recall seeing anything about the series 3, but at one point there was a discussion that the original series 2 architecture was made modular in such a way that they could add more tuners (I think 6 or 8 got bandied about).

That said- I think 2 is probably the sweet spot. Just get another tivo with MRV. And at some point the hard drive is going to get slammed.

At this point you could have 4 simultaneous HD streams being handled. Anyone know what the limit on a sata drive in the real world is?

2 HD recording
    1 HD playback
    1 HD being MRV'd to or from another HD capable device.

the box gets pretty bound up as it is trying to get season passes reordered not sure what adding anothe HD tuner to that mix would do... (well I'm sure it would slow things down even more- just not sure how much...)

7. Nov 7, 2007 #7 of 31
    f0gax

f0gax Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    IMHO, going with more than 2 tuners and you need to look at some kind of "media server" type thing. A box that sits in a closet with a giant disk (or array) and a lot of RAM. But no video outputs. Managed remotely by either a PC or the "dumb" STBs that are its clients.

8. Nov 7, 2007 #8 of 31
    flc

flc New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Huntersville...
    Screw all that, I want a 100 tuner TiVo so I can record everything at once :p

9. Nov 7, 2007 #9 of 31
    TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006

I have always dreamed of a TWELVE (12) Tuner TiVo....

YES I SAID 12! :D

TGC

P.S.

On a more realistic scale.... What I was actually thinking of, is a 12 (TWELVE) tuner TiVo SERVER. This unit would record from 12 different Tuners, Combination of Cable (CC), OTA, & Satalite. (They would be plug n play tuners) & would also have the capability of downloading HD Movies.

This Server would in turn "SERVE" out the recorded shows to TiVo PLAYERS that have ALL of the same features our S3 & HD units have now, except no tuners/cable cards. All recording would be done on the 12 tuner Server.

10. alee

alee Member

Mar 24, 2002
    New York, NY
    Cooperative scheduling is the answer here. They all talk to each other and punt jobs back and forth depending on who's available, and who has enough storage. Find yourself with too many conflicting shows? Go out, get another 2-tuner TiVo, hang it off your cable, and the other TiVos in your home become instantly aware of more recording capacity and conflicts resolve themselves.

11. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    cablecard and copy protection ruin that plan unless you stream to the other boxes and tivo's dont yet stream.

12. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

zactly...

13. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Except it can never work with CableCard technology because of CCI issues. There is no way to know ahead of time whether a show can be copied or not leaving cooperative scheduling worthless.

14. surge

surge New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Atlanta
    I have a lifetimed Tivo series 1 that I use just for the Comcast digital cable box. I don't record anything... just use it for the trick play for the kids. Most of those channels are only on the digital portion. I also use it to watch HBO but with On-demand I don't use it to record.

My main system is a Windows Media Center 2005 and it has 4 tuners.

I have a few nights a week that all 4 tuners are recording at once. I've only had a few times where I had a conflict and had to dump a show. With a 500 gig harddrive (which is only about $100) I've yet to fill the drive. With 4 tuners and this much space I find myself recording things that sometimes I don't even watch, but it is nice to be able to.

I'm still on SD since MCE doesn't yet handle digital tuner cards or Cable Cards. (you can't get Cable Card support for DIY system... stupid CableLabs)

I think a 4 tuner TiVo would work very well..especially with the prices of harddrives coming down.

MCE also has an add-on that allows multiple machines to pool their resources. Hopefully we will see something like that from TiVo.

15. ericr74

ericr74 Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Broomfield,...
    Heck, let's just record the incoming streams (all antennas and cables). Then do the channel decode later when you decide you want to watch a program in the recorded stream. Yeah that sounds nice. :) Not practical though.

16. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Not possible. Cable and OTA, even digital, is modulated onto different frequencies of the radio spectrum. A tuner is required to lock onto each of those frequencies and grab the associated data. There is no way to just record everything and decode it later. There would need to be some sort of tuner involved. Now if someone came up with a tuner capable of tuning and decoding all the frequencies at once then you'd have that option. However you'd run through a 1TB hard drive in a matter of seconds, so storage, as well as internal throughput of all the electronics, would also have to increase for that ever to be a reality. Who knows, maybe in 50 year. :)

Dan

17. ericr74

ericr74 Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Broomfield,...
    Exactly. I guess what I was imagining was oversampling the incoming streams to the point where you could decode any of them later. But as you mention, that would eat up hard drives rather quickly, not to mention the throughput issues. It's just a pipe dream. :)

18. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006

If you had a 12 Tuner TiVo SERVER... with TiVo PLAYERS... then cooperative scheduling would be a MOOT point. :)

I like the idea of TiVo Server with X-Raid & 12 tuners to be great. :)

TGC

19. Luke M

Luke M Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Digitizing the entire cable spectrum is theoretically possible, but not practical or desirable.

Recording 100 SD channels at 3mb/s each is almost practical today. With a 1TB drive you'd have 7 hours of storage. So recording "everything" is not science fiction.

20. chip_r

chip_r Member

Apr 27, 2006
    Southeast PA
    Now ... let me join in the number fun and do some calculations ... Assuming minimum Nyquist sampling of a 1GHz signal @8 bits/sample, we're looking at 2GBytes/sec or 8.33 minutes/1TByte. Yep, possible but not very practical.

A more fundamental question is can you find a single show in all of those bytes worth watching? :)