1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 TiVo Vox and 18 Minis

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Greiner Claude, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Greiner Claude

Greiner Claude New Member

Oct 12, 2018
    So I got a customer who purchased (3) TiVo 6 Tuner Vox units and (18) TiVo minis.

Spent almost $5000 on this setup and purchased lifetime service.

It made sense doing this because he only needed 3 cable cards from Comcast vs paying $20 each for HD/DVR’s in each room.

I suggested hooking up the minis via eithernet, but the guy who did the Tv’s said he would prefer the hard wired eithernet connection direct to the television.

So we decided to hook this up VIA MoCA with coax cable.

First thing I did was identify the cable lines going to the 3 main TiVo boxes.

I installed the POE filter on the main cable line and ran into an 8 way splitter.

On the first 8 way splitter I hooked up the 3 main TiVo’s cable feed, and then 3 jumpers to (3) more 8 way splitters that go to all of the minis.

I enabled eithernet and MoCA on 2 of the boxes. The 3rd TiVo main box is bad and we are returning it.

I got 3 of the minis running.

On the rest of the minis I did the initial download, and I get to the screen where it shows both of the TIVO main DVR’s , but they have a red circle with a line across it as if the TiVo’s and the minis are not on the same account.

Some of the minis are run through (2) 8 way splitters, which is almost a 22 DB loss.

All the cables are quad shield and home ran to the TV’s

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    First thing would be to review the Mini activation process listed in >this post<. Also, an approach some use is to have a temporary setup location for Minis, to facilitate activation, initial updates, etc. prior to moving each box to its permanent location.

Regarding the setup...
    • Most critically, there’s a max of 12 active boxes (DVRs & Minis) allowed per TiVo account, meaning the customer’s TiVo setup would be segregated, with half the boxes unable to connect to the other half registered on a different account.
    • If you somehow end up with more than 12 active boxes registered to a single TiVo account, you may experience odd network disconnects.
    • I believe there’s a limit of 16 nodes per MoCA segment.
    • TiVo Custom Installers Tips & Tricks doc suggests a max of 5 or 6 Minis on MoCA, and going with Ethernet if more. (A network switch at each TV would be an alternative.)
    • Having two DVRs connected via Ethernet and also configured for MoCA should be problematic, as it creates a dual bridge between the Ethernet and MoCA segments.
    • For best performance the “PoE” MoCA filter should be installed directly on the input of the top-most splitter.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I expect it’s more than that.

Per specs for the Holland GHS-8PRO-M, Insertion Loss at MoCA frequencies is 17 dB. And the MoCA path between a Mini and DVR per your description would pass up through a secondary 8-way, up through the top 8-way, reflect off the “PoE” MoCA filter on the top 8-way’s input, and then back down through the top 8-way. So (3x)17dB + ~2dB ~= 53dB ... pretty much near the max allowed loss between MoCA nodes.

You can check the MoCA connection status via the Network Status screen from any MoCA-connected TiVo box. (# of nodes, channel, plus TX/RX PHY rates and power estimates are of interest)

4. Greiner Claude

Greiner Claude New Member

Oct 12, 2018
    So a little bit more info.

All the TiVo boxes are activated on the same account. Do I need to split the accounts so each account has less than 12 active devices?

The 8 way splitters is using are for Directv. They are rated 5-2150 MHz. I think this should be ok?

As far as the TIVO bridge, can I use a Directv Decca adaptor?

I’m thinking of either putting everything on eithernet with a separate gigabyte router, or splitting the MoCA network into 3 separate networks. Each with 1 TiVo and 6 minis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    12 max means 12 or less. It used to be 10 max.

It’s DECA, and definitely not ... both because DECA operates within the same frequency range as cable signals (a conflict) and because, though it’s still MoCA, DECA operates in a different frequency band than TiVo’s MoCA.

Not really. Later DirecTV splitters are optimized for DirecTV and its flavor of MoCA. You’d want to be using the MoCA-optimized Holland splitters I linked (or others in the same series).

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I’m not sure why a separate router would be needed. If anything, you may want to look into a network switch with VLAN support, in order to isolate the TiVo boxes by account to keep inaccessible boxes (i.e. boxes from the other account) from showing-up in My Shows, host DVR setup, etc. You’d ideally want a managed switch where the isolation can be implemented by MAC/HW address to avoid collateral VLAN segmentation of other Ethernet-connected devices at the TV locations that might occur with port-based VLAN configuration.

e.g. What is a MAC-based VLAN and how does it work with my managed switch? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018 at 1:39 PM
  7. lafos

lafos Active Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Can you put 6 minis on a 6-tuner TiVo? I thought you had a limit there, too.

8. snerd

snerd Active Member

Jun 6, 2008
    You can attach them all to the same network, but you won't be able to watch live TV on all of them at the same time. The TiVo always reserves one tuner for itself.

9. lafos

lafos Active Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Thanks, that's good to know. I'm considering adding a few minis myself