3 OLD Philips S1 Tivos Lifetime Subs... what's next?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by creativepart, May 7, 2007.

1. creativepart

creativepart New Member

May 7, 2007

Advertisements

We jumped on the Tivo bandwagen quickly when they came out. We bought 3 Philips 13 hour Tivos and paid for LIFETIME Subscriptions for each.

We have two in constant use since 1998. They're still working great. One was used in a condo we no longer own. All three broke during the first year and were repaired under warranty. The Condo unit in fact, broke and when we sent it in to be repaired it took a long time to get it back and we sold the condo during that time. So, it's never even been plugged in since it returned from repair.

It's amazing that they're still working with the stock HDs, but they are.

My wife sees the new ads for downloading movies to your Tivo from Amazon and I tell her not ours.

What should we do. Use these until they die and then replace them with new units? Upgrade them with new bigger HDs and add network capacity to them? If we add network capability to them can we get rid of the phone line and update them via the web? Could we download movies from Amazon?

We are under the assumption that we can't upgrade and keep our Lifetime subs. Is that true??

2. rambler

rambler Member

Dec 3, 2005
    I believe you can transfer the lifetime over to a new Series 3 if you pay $199. Or sell them - they are quite valuable.

3. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    I would sell off two of them and use that money to purchase newer boxes (Lifetime boxes fetch a good price on ebay). You need to keep one Lifetime boxes in order to get multi-service discount (saves a good amount of money).

Unless you upgrade to a Series 2 then you won't be able to use Unbox. Just adding a network card won't get you the ability to use Unbox from what I understand.

You won't be able to upgrade to newer systems and keep your lifetime unless Tivo has a special offer like they did for the Series 3 when they first came out ($199 transfer fee).

Or hold the phone.... you said 1998.... I think you can transfer these to a new unit as long as the lifetime was purchased before 2000 (I'm not sure of the exact date). You should call Tivo and find out what you can do.

4. osoc2

osoc2 New Member

Jul 25, 2003
    I think that the date for free transfer of lifetime subscription was January 20, 2000. As I understand it, Tivo didn't clearly advertise what exactly "lifetime" meant back then and any lifetime subscriptions purchased before that date can be transferred to any new unit (Series 2 or 3). If you purchased before then, call Tivo to verify at 877-367-8486. Choose technical support, not the service activation option.

I had a Series 1 since 2000, but didn't get the lifetime until 2001. I did however add the network card so that I could get rid of my land line, which was only used for Tivo anyhow. I also upgraded the hard drives several times over the years. If you keep the Series 1, you'll be happy with either or both upgrades.

Just a few weeks ago I called Tivo and they still let me transfer the lifetime subscription to a Series 3 for $199. I didn't really have the money right now, but absolutely do not regret it. I've been a proud Tivo convert for years...I'd rather not watch TV if I can't watch Tivo, but even a big Tivo-aholic like myself was impressed with the Series 3. I knew it was a big step up from the series 1, but I didn't realize how big.

Turns out I get better digital signals for network stations with an old set of rabbit ears I had in my garage than I do with analog cable. Recording two things at once, online scheduling, downloadable content (that I actually want to watch); all things that Series 2 owners have been enjoying for years! Features that I didn't expect to ever use that I like a lot are Yahoo Weather, Fandango movie showtimes, and internet radio. The Amazon Unbox is pretty nice too. Can't compete with Netflix if you rent a lot of DVDs per month, but if you don't rent many movies or don't have a problem with $4 to rent from Amazon, you'll be impressed with the quality. Not 100% DVD quality all the time, but it looks good on a 36" HDTV and is much easier than going to Blockbuster. The only drawback is that it is automatically deleted after 30 days or within 24 hours of pressing play and that's not a problem most of the time.

Wow, this ended up being much longer than intended. Basically, I have fallen in love with Tivo all over again since upgrading to the Series 3. I bought mine from Amazon for $650 with 2nd day shipping. Series 3 units with lifetime service were selling for $1200 to $1400 the last time I searched the completed auctions. If you can get the free lifetime transfer, you could sell one on eBay and totally cover the cost of a second one to keep. And you'd still have the third to do whatever with.

Hope this was of some use and not just babble!

5. osoc2

osoc2 New Member

Jul 25, 2003

Advertisements

If you do transfer service, hold on to the old units. You should be able to use them to manually record, even without service. You won't have program guide data and will get "you need to activate service" reminders daily, but will be able to program it like a VCR. Like record channel 5 M-F from 7pm to 8pm. The same as manual recording now, but it just shows the channel number, not the number and network. Tivo stopped you from being able to do this on later models, but I have two Phillips Series 1 units that I can use like this. And you can still upgrade the hard drive when using it like this to increase recording capacity.

6. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Bingo.

Any lifetime subscription purchased by creativepart before 1/20/00 can be transfered to any S2 or S3 for free.

7. creativepart

creativepart New Member

May 7, 2007
    Hi thanks.

This is great info. I kept my receipts for the lifetime subs until about a year ago. I wish I still had them. I just don't remember exactly when I bought them. It may have been after Jan 2000. I bought one unit, then got a lifetime sub and then bought two more and got lifetime subs for them too. I searched my emails and is found an email from Tivo saying there were 2 days left before lifetime subs went from $199 to $249 and it was dated 4/28/2001. I do know I paid $199 for each of the three Tivo subs.

8. osoc2

osoc2 New Member

Jul 25, 2003
    Tivo will have the dates you purchased the lifetime subscriptions.

Tivo Homepage --> Manage My Account --> Log In --> View Billing History

If you haven't created an account, I think all they need is your address info, and Tivo service numbers found in the setup screen. I have a feeling that you probably got them all after Jan 2000. I got mine the day before it went up from $199 and am pretty sure it was $149 when I originally purchased the Tivo in mid-2000. Worth checking into though.