3 old DirecTiVos - how to add a HD DirecTV box?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by MrLatte, Aug 15, 2007.

1. MrLatte

MrLatte Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Silverdale, WA
    I currently have 3 DirecTivos (2 Series 1 DSR6000 and 1 newer R10) running through a 2x8 multiswitch that gets fed from one 18" round dish.

If I want to add a DirecTV HD box (DVR or otherwise) into this setup what do I need?

I assume I call DirecTV and say I want to upgrade to the HD package which will require a 5 LNB dish? Is this correct? How does this wire into my current setup? Does anyone have a link to a wiring diagram? Thanks!

2. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Yes...they'll upgrade your dish to a 5-LNB model...and will also provide you with a new multiswitch if needed...just make sure you tell them that you need an upgraded multiswitch or the installer just might show up empty handed...

3. MrLatte

MrLatte Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Silverdale, WA
    So I'd need their fancy multiswitch to tie in all the lines from the 5 LNBs? Does that reside at the dish or is that inside the house like my current one? Then I can just take my 6 outputs (2 x 3 DirecTivos) plus whatever the new box needs?

4. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I have 2 DirecTiVos and an HD-DVR...

I have a multiswitch that resides inside my house... It is a 4x8... (my previous one was a 4x4...I had an eliptical dish previously)

The 5LNB dish still only has 4 cables coming out from it into the house... and then I am using 6 of the multiswitch outputs (2 tuners x 3 DVRs)...

So you'll need to move from your 2x8 to a 4x8...

5. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Call Directv. you will need to upgrade to the 5LNB Dish, and you will also get a New Multiswitch. the Current standard Multiswitch is the Zinwell WB68 4 x 8.

The Multiswitch can reside inside your Home like your current one.

It should take the installer about an Hour to replace your Dish and Multiswitch. It is not a hard job to do.

1 Thing, since you already have 3 Directv/Tivo units and want to ad a HD Unit, you may need to look at a different Multiswitch. You already use 6 Outputs, the new unit will use 1 (H20) or 2 (HR20) so this will max out the multiswitch. You could also look at the Bigger Brother to the WB68 that is a 4 x 16 Multiswitch the WB616.

6. MrLatte

MrLatte Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Silverdale, WA
    For the old DSR6000 Series 1 models, so I need to go into the setup and change which type of dish I have? The software probably doesn't know what a 5LNB dish is! I'm currently using one 18" dish with a dual LNB pointing to the 101 sat.

7. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The DTiVos can be told it's a 3-sat dish or even a 1-sat if that's the only option.

There are four leads coming out of the 5-sat dish, not five. All four feed the multiswitch you'll get and there are 8, 12 or 16 outputs, depending on model. (Or you may get two "6x8" switches and cascade them to get 12 outputs.) The other two inputs on the switch are not used in most cases.