3 bad hdmi cables or bad premiere?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by newsposter, Oct 17, 2011.

1. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    on my new unit i had a problem not seeing netflix nor hulu videos and sound but i could see the CC, so the picture was rolling per the status bar, neither tivo nor hulu ever heard of such a thing when i contacted them..no help there... on a whim i decided to try composite instead of hdmi..worked perfectly...put another hdmi cable on the unit, worked perfectly

today i tried hulu again and nothing...just could tell it was rolling..unplugged the hdmi and plugged it back in..no dice..tried new HDMI, didnt work...tried component, worked fine, tried a third hdmi, it worked.. then stopped working

i know people say component should equal hdmi for PQ but unsure that's true because i think my input on my tv needs calibrated but i dont have 400 bucks for that lol

so the end result is that in the end i can probably do without hulu because i just ran thru my list of shows and there are only 4 that are allowed to stream to tivo..and netflix i can get on my wii (netflix has the same issue as the hulu service which leads me to believe its something with the premieres hdmi)

ever heard of something so bizarre? all other functions on the tivo work perfectly in every other aspect so thats what i really care about. :D

2. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    now i'm worried, just turned the tv on and there was snow...it was just regular tv not the internet stuff. unplugging and plugging in the hdmi brought the pic back.

my hr20 and hr10250 have used the single hdmi on my tv for years without issue...is there any way to know if it's the new tivo or not?

3. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I think you will need to play with the output settings on the Premiere and/or compare to yet another HDMI device. Some TV's do not play well with HDMI regarding HDCP and other stuff... especially true if you have ANY device between the TiVo and the TV (like a switcher). Other TV's are picky about resolution/signal switching (hence the "you should play with output settings" comment, above).

4. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i know when i had hulu issues i had set all rez turned on..except 1080p..maybe i should uncheck them all and just do 1080?

i have no other hdmi devices to compare except to say i never had any issues with the hr10250 nor the hr20 thru my tv's only hdmi input.

funny you mention a switcher..until i disconnect directv, i do have the HR20 running thru component on input 2 on the tv so switch back and forth to the hdmi (premiere) frequently..maybe thats the issue? but it always shows a good pic when i do switch, it's hours later that it's the issue of 'snow'

5. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Yes, play around with those settings

Well, the TiVo is not the same as the hr units :)

No, I was referring to an HDMI switcher- anything that is inbetween the TiVo and the TV for HDMI. Having multiple devices connected to your TV isn't the same thing.

6. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    just found out the 1080 is the only setting i have checked..

tivo is always connected direct to tv...hope my issues are over :)