3.0 Spontaneously Turns TiVo Off

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by DaveLessnau, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Jun 7, 2002 #1 of 142
    DaveLessnau

DaveLessnau Love My TiVo!

Nov 10, 2000
    USA
    This has happened twice in the several months I've had version 3.0. Sometime in the middle of the night, TiVo will turn itself off. The first time, a week or two ago, I'd assumed my son (who was the last to use the TiVo the night before) had accidently hit the Standby button when shutting off the AV system. But, it happened again last night. And I was the person who shut everything down.

When I plopped down this morning to check on what had recorded last night, I noticed that no lights were lit on the TiVo and nothing was hitting the TV screen (via the S-Video/RW AV jacks). The last time this happened, I neglected to check the Standby button. So, I did so this time. Nothing. Tried changing channels, Instant Replay, Advance to End, etc.. Nothing. Pulled the plug and re-plugged (as I did last time), and everything came up fine. The last time it happened, the recording light promptly came on. There were two partial recordings in Now Playing. So, TiVo was recording (I guess like it thought it was in Standby). But, it was recording the wrong channel. I checked Now Playing this time, and several shows had recorded overnight. Prior to, and including, a 2:20am Suggestion recording of Tremors (which ran to about 4:30am) on TBS, everything recorded correctly. But, the 5:00am showing of a show that was supposed to be on the History Channel didn't change channels at all. It didn't even look like it made an attempt to change channels (I'm not sure about that -- I didn't conciously look for the cable box banner change). So, this time, it looks like the TiVo turned "off" between 4:30am and 5:00am. Last time, I believe it was sometime around midnight. Also, the last time it happened, several shows recorded while the TiVo was "off." None of them attempted channel changes either.

I never use Standby, so any problems that might be associated with it shouldn't apply here. The TiVo was operating normally (and recording) when I went to sleep last night. There's nothing in Recording History. This has only happened on the Sony SVR-2000. Both TiVos are on UPSs.

2. Jun 7, 2002 #2 of 142
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Weird. Although I seriously doubt it's related to 3.0, since I have had 3.0 running on all four of my TiVos for several months and I've never seen this issue. Do you have your TiVo connected to a UPS? If not then it could be a power hicup causing the TiVo to glitch.

Dan

3. Jun 7, 2002 #3 of 142
    DaveLessnau

Nov 10, 2000
    USA
    Both TiVos are on UPSs. Even if it had been a power glitch, I can't see any way that a TiVo could end up in a quasi-Standby mode. It would either stay totally powered down (which it wasn't) or come back up normally (which it didn't).

4. Jun 7, 2002 #4 of 142
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I was thinking more along the lines of a brown out, those can cause electronics to do all sorts of weird things. Although since you have a UPS that can't be it.

Do you have any kind of IR transmitting equipment, like a wireless transmitter, video distribution system, etc...? It could be picking up interference and putting out IR that is confusing the TiVo.

Dan

5. Jun 7, 2002 #5 of 142
    DaveLessnau

Nov 10, 2000
    USA
    Nope. No IR stuff at all. The only remote that's out is the TiVo remote. And it was sitting on the table where I left it with nothing capable of pushing the buttons.

No real need to reply on this. It's only happened twice in the last couple of months. I was just reporting it in case anyone else sees it.

6. Aug 30, 2002 #6 of 142
    DaveLessnau

Nov 10, 2000
    USA
    An update to this. On 08/30/02 at 6:45 pm (today, about 15 minutes ago), I noticed my Philips TiVo had no lights on. The cable box was on, and some kind of (normal) whirring sound was coming from the TiVo (either the fan or the drive (or both)). Nothing on the remote did anything (specifically, not the TiVo button, the Advance to End button, or the Instant Reply button). I unplugged the TiVo and plugged it back in. It came up fine. In Now Playing, the last scheduled recording had been from 4:30 - 5:00 pm. It was fine. The last recording was a Suggestion from 5:00 - 6:00 pm. It, too, was fine. Unfortunately, I don't know when the LED went out. Because of one of the similar instances below, I checked the phone call. The last call status was "Failed. Unknown error" and was from 3:23 this morning (which agrees with a symptom noted in one of those threads). Garbage collection and Indexing both last ran prior to that failed phone call. As before, everything is on an UPS, I'm running 3.0, and I'm connected to my digital cable box via S-Video plus L/R RCA jacks (ditto to the TV). But, this time, I'm using a TurboNET card connection instead of a phone line.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65273

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67909

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73647

7. Aug 31, 2002 #7 of 142
    MJGunn

MJGunn New Member

May 10, 2002
  8. Aug 31, 2002 #8 of 142
    MJGunn

MJGunn New Member

May 10, 2002
    I've been reading a bunch of those other threads you linked to Dave, and I've seen more than a few people mentioning the power supply. I don't have my tivo hooked up to a UPS, but I do have it on a power strip. This This morning (was about 20 hours ago now), my power did on/off at least once. I don't know if that might have anything to do with this.

BTW, I don't know if 3.0 has anything to do with this, but, as others have said, I haven't had a single problem with my tivo before it, and in addition to this new (and pretty disturbing one), I've noticed my tivo, amongst other things, to be quite sluggish at times now. Like I'll hit FF, nothing will happen, I'll wait a few seconds, hit it again, and then again, and then, out of nowhere, like 10 seconds after I hit it the first time, it will suddenly do all 3 commands at once. Not all the time, but often enough to make me wish I was still running 2.5

9. Aug 31, 2002 #9 of 142
    DaveLessnau

Nov 10, 2000
    USA
    For the sluggishness, it could be that TiVo is processing a download, doing garbage collection, or indexing at that time. The next time it happens, check Messages & Setup -> System Information for when those things last happened. While you're there, check the temperature.

Regarding the main problem, were you watching the TiVo in the wee-small hours when it happened (your original post was for 0222 hrs)? It looks like most of these things have happened overnight following a "Failed. Unknown error" call (though not all).

In my case, we had no power glitches here (that I noticed). Also, someone in those other threads mentioned problems with the swap file and that we should check the logs. But, I forgot. At this point, there's too much stuff in the logs for me to see if there was a problem (glancing through them, I didn't see anything).

10. Aug 31, 2002 #10 of 142
    MJGunn

MJGunn New Member

May 10, 2002
    Yes, I was watching a show when it happened, the tivo stopped responding to all remote commands, and the lights went out. When the show ended, the options came up for if I wanted to keep the show, or delete it. The tivo was still unresponsive, and after a few minutes automatically chose to keep the program, and went back to the now playing screen. At that point, I pulled the plug, and it booted back up just fine.

I went to the system status screen, and did make a point of checking the temperature, cause it was a bit warm in my room at that point (it was running at 40c). I noticed then that it had made a failed call, within the hour of the tivo flipping out (I can't remember right now exactly when the tivo made the failed call, or when the problem happened.....it was late). I went to the phone options screen, and told it to make a call, watched to make sure it downloaded the data ok, and then, when it started processing it, went to sleep. Woke up this morning to find that it was able to successfully complete the call, and everything seems to be normal.

11. Sep 7, 2002 #11 of 142
    disco

disco Father of Sam.

Mar 27, 2000
    Lake...
    Okay...this seems to be a real problem (I didn't just make it up!;)), is TiVo aware of it and working on a fix?

12. Sep 13, 2002 #12 of 142
    kclements

kclements New Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Lincoln, NE
    I've just read this thread and the others referenced. I've experienced a similar problem twice since the upgrade to version 3; once last night. Symptoms and environment are:

(1) No LEDs lit on the front (no green, no red,... none)

(2) Black screen, no audio. Remote still works. I can still change channels, see the description text at the top of the screen, in the blue capsule. Can still access Now Playing and watch previously recorded programs. But Live TV shows a black screen and has no audio.

(3) Not in standby accidentally.

(4) Failed call attempt reported.

(5) Rebooting restores normal functionality.

(6) No extraneous IR sources.

(7) Cable signal still present (TV's tuner still works when I switch over).

I use direct coax input (no cable box); RCA video and audio output.

Last night, it happened right before my very eyes, late at night; right around the time the Tivo normally makes its call. I was changing channels on Live TV when the screen suddently went black. At first, I assumed there was a problem with that channel. But as I continued, I realized that all of the channels were black. Rebooting restored function. The first time it happened (a couple of weeks ago), I just assumed there was some minor glitch. Now it's happened again and I'm pretty disappointed. Seems like it may continue to happen until the next forced upgrade. I certainly hope the good Tivo folks are aware of this problem and are burning the midnight oil to fix it. I'm off to their site right now to e-mail a report.

--Kevin

13. Sep 19, 2002 #13 of 142
    bedelman

bedelman Call me Bob

Feb 26, 2001
    Crystal...
    I wonder if this is what I've been seeing lately.

I have a SONY stand alone, completely unmodified. I noticed that it recently has begun to record shows on time but the signal to change the channel on the digital cable box is coming late (once as late as 20 minutes)

I did some checking on the forums and found this "late" behavior can be due to spurious IR signals (the TiVo waits until it's "quiet" on the IR traffic before it issues a change channel command). Since I do have my TiVo distributing its signal to seven televisions and their are IR repeaters involved, I thought this could be the problem. I rearranged some of the IR repeaters near the TiVo (it's in a closed cabinet, but with ventilation) and that does seem to be better for the last day or so.

However, the other night I was watching the TiVo go to change a channel on its own. As soon as the channel changed, the screen went black! I couldn't get it to respond to any commands from the remote.

I *think* I still had lights showing on the front panel of the TiVo though.

Software version 3.0.01-1-010 with backdoors enabled

14. Sep 20, 2002 #14 of 142
    JPriller

JPriller just some guy

Nov 21, 2001
    Lansing, MI
    Same thing happened to my Series 1 a few days ago - came home from work, both LEDs out, remote buttons did nothing, power cycle fixed it. I was so relieved not to have a dead TiVo I didn't look at any system information, and for the last few days it's behaved itself. Mine's on a UPS too, so it wasn't a power problem.

15. Sep 20, 2002 #15 of 142
    robertj49

robertj49 New Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Los...
    I've had problems since version 3 with failure to complete download. Sometimes restarting corrects it for a week, then it happens again. I hope TIVO comes out with version 4 soon. Version 3 seems to be a real Turkey.
    Can they give me back version 2.5?

16. Oct 26, 2002 #16 of 142
    snoop

snoop Member

Oct 9, 2002
    Did any of these tivos recur the problem and if so was there any permanent fix to it? Mine just did the same thing last night.

312 with two recently installed (four months ago) hard drives, tivonet (8 months ago), in a cool room (running about 27c), and on an apc ups.

Exactly same symptoms: black screen, both green and red lights out, unresponsive until power cycle, failed daily call (unknown), continued to record but without channel changes.

The ONLY thing I can correlate with the failure is that I had changed the tv over to the dvd player and watched a dvd that morning. I watch dvd's about once in a blue moon so its an unusual event. Perhaps something the dvd remote sent annoyed the tivo.

Maybe it was just jealous.

17. Oct 28, 2002 #17 of 142
    JPriller

JPriller just some guy

Nov 21, 2001
    Lansing, MI
    Mine hasn't done it again so far. Still no idea what caused it in the first place.

18. Oct 28, 2002 #18 of 142
    snoop

snoop Member

Oct 9, 2002
    Troubling. I was hoping it was something simple like a failed power supply since I have spares of those. Occurred to me that the power supply spits out 4-5 different voltages and the front panel lights, the IR receiver/transmitter/serial control might be one of those voltages.

19. Oct 29, 2002 #19 of 142
    DaveLessnau

Nov 10, 2000
    USA
    Snoop: are you getting repeats of the problem? From my own experience, and from what I can see from others', it looks like it's a fairly rare problem. I've only had the three occurences I've documented here (1 probable and 1 definite on the Sony and 1 definite on the Philips). It doesn't cause too much trouble. But, then, I HAVE modified my behavior to always check that the green LED is lit on both machines first thing in the morning.

20. Nov 7, 2002 #20 of 142
    Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    Lots of threads on this, so I just randomly chose one to revive. Just wanted to report another instance of this. My TiVo reports "Failed. Unknown Error." at 11:20 last night. It was taping a show on Channel 5 at 11:00, and it taped the whole thing just fine. But every scheduled recording afterwards was on Ch. 5, too -- It did not change channels after the severe error occurred. When I got home from work today both lights on the TiVo were out, and I could only see the black screen. I unplugged it and it seems to work fine now.

This happened at least once before, about six weeks ago. (There are some posts of mine kicking around related to it, as well as some other problems I was having; I put a pretty complete description in the survey thread, if you're interested.)

Does anyone have any new updates/information about this problem?