2Wire Modem without addtional Ethernet Connection

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Jack.Edelbrock, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Jack.Edelbrock

Jack.Edelbrock New Member

Oct 27, 2007

Advertisements

I have a 2Wire 703 DSL modem. It has a single ethernet connection. I have numerous computers happily accesing the internet wirelessly via this modem, in addition to the computer connected by wire. I just bought a cute litte TiVo Wireles G adapter, and it wil not go to the internet (although, it does detect the modem and reports excellent signal strength). I really have no need (or desire) to have a network in my home. Is there anyway to cajole the TiVo adapter to connect to the internet?

2. bizzy

bizzy New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    San...
    Have you called Tivo support? If other computers at your home are working on your wireless network, then there's no reason the Tivo wouldn't be able to.

Most likely, you are incorrectly entering the WEP or WPA password.

3. singletb

singletb New Member

May 12, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I use a 2Wire DSL modem with the two Tivo wireless adapters, and have had absolutely no issues.

4. Jack.Edelbrock

Oct 27, 2007
    To the kind people who have previously replied and to anyone else who has any ideas:

We have talked to TIVO support. Boy have we, about 10 times now.

1st support guy said that you need to have a wireless router in addition to the 2 wire modem. He was the one suggested that we post a question to the forum, because he said the 2 Wire was not supported but someone else might know how to do it.

2nd support person said "balderdash! If a computer can connect throught the modem wirelessly, so cand the TiVo adapter. The adapter must be bad. Go and exchange it." Surprise: new adapter, same problem.

3rd support person: The adapter only supports 802.11g connections, not 802.11b connections. I bought this, hung up and read the box which says both protocols are supported by the adapter.

4th thought n-th TiVo support person: Try this, try that. Restart Tivo box. Restart modem. Switch USB ports. Use a different cable. There are reports that the USB ports don't work on the HD boxes. (Since both adapters have conssitently reported a strong signal so how can that be?) We dutifully did all of the foregoing, and no luck.

n+1st support person: we are going to swap boxes. (Forecast: major pain when Comcast comes back out and botches the install on the cable card again).

Does anyone want a TiVo HD with lifetime service? The Comcast DVR is looking pretty good. No serious offer refused.

5. KraziJoe

KraziJoe What? Me Worry?

Nov 30, 2007
    Maine

Advertisements

What type of wireless security do you have on your Router?

6. 100Tbps

100Tbps New Member

May 12, 2006
    If I read this right, you have a DSL router connected directly to a computer. You have other computers in the house using "wireless" to connect to the internet. You didn't mention whether or not you have a wireless access point.

It sounds like you're using ad-hoc wireless connections from the other computers to connect to the computer directly connected to the DSL modem, which in turn is using an Internet passthrough feature to permit the traffic to pass through. The easiest way to test this is turn off the directly connected computer and it's likely the other computers will no longer have internet access.

I doubt the Tivo can do ad-hoc connections and needs a traditional access-point to associate to.

If this turns out the be the case, and you managed to get internet passthrough configured on the directly connected computer, do it again on one of the wirelessly connected computers that has an open ethernet port (or get a USB ethernet dongle). You can use a crossover ethernet cable (instead of a straight-thru) to connect one of the wireless computers to the Tivo. In any case, you can make or buy a cable, or go buy a linksys wireless access point.

If it helps any, 802.11g is backwards compatible to 802.11b.

7. bizzy

bizzy New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    San...
    The '2Wire' boxes are combo DSL CPE, NAT routers and access points. I think that AT&T hands them out with their DSL service. I really doubt that the OP managed to accidentally configure a working ad-hoc network- much more likely is that he's forgotten what his WEP or WPA key/passphrase is.

8. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Dude, it's too late. ;)

9. bizzy

bizzy New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    San...
    I was gonna let that one slide. :)

10. Jack.Edelbrock

Oct 27, 2007
    Here is what I have: (1) a computer with a connection via cat 5 cable from an ethernet card directly to a device from 2 Wire, the thing I have colloquially referred to as the 2 Wire modem. There is absolutlely no other physical device designed to interconnect computers either physically or wirelessly. (2) Various other computers, desktop and laptops, all of which seamlessly connect to the internet via the 2 Wire modem. (3) By the way, my ATT DSL connection is superb, allowing me to stream video. It has an average latency of 55ms to the ISP website. (4) Thanks everyone for asking, but no, I have not forgotten my password. In any case,it is printed on the bottom of the 2Wire modem and I periodically use it to connect new computers. Did I mention that lots of other computers connect without any problem? (5) I am of the opinion that TiVo customer service is completely incompetent

11. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    That is colloquially referred to as a home network. :)

If you could log into your modem web's interface using that password you could see if you have wireless security (eithe WEP or WPA) enabled and what the security key is set to.

Found this in the documentation. Maybe it will get you to the web interface on your modem.
    http://gateway.2wire.net/

12. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    http://www.2wire.com/index.php?p=266

I stand corrected, your WEP password is printed on your modem. I wonder if it has been changed from the default value though.

13. bizzy

bizzy New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    San...
    In that case it sounds like a problem with the Tivo. I apologize for my assumption. I've had similar problems getting my Wii onto the wireless network here, which uses WPA2. Luckily I have a Linksys WET54GS5 in my entertainment system anyway. I love these boxes and wish I had bought 3 or 4 more while they were in stores.

I have had nothing but bad experiences with anyone I've had to deal with at Tivo. In fact, on the whole, I've had a more satisfying experience with Comcast than with Tivo, and that's just pathetic.

14. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    I got a laptop in the house that refuses to work with WPA2. Dropped to WPA (not WEP :thumbsdown:) and it connects. Go figure.

15. Jack.Edelbrock

Oct 27, 2007
    Well call it what you like, but what I have configured provides no aility for the computers connectedd to the interenet through the modem to communciate with each other, or to share peripheral devises (unless you count the ability to send email to myself and retreive it on another computer). The ability to share files nad peripherals is what I have always understood a network to be. So let's adopt the convention of calling my set up a cluster$#@%

16. bizzy

bizzy New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    San...
    I am sort of hoping that the problem goes away when I replace my two WRT54G APs running OpenWRT with a shiny new Apple Time Capsule :)

17. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Have you tried? Make sure each computer's WORKGROUP name is the same and you should be able to do those things.

Right-Click My Computer->Properties->Computer Name tab->Click Change button to change WORKGROUP name. Make all computers the same.

:D

18. rehr0001

rehr0001 New Member

Sep 17, 2006
    John,

Are you just trying to get guide data through the internet or are you trying to use HME options?

You say the tivo is connected with excellent signal strength ... is that from the Tivo menus that you see it is connected?

Have you gone into the settings pages on your router at all at this point? Is there a limit to the number of wireless connections allowed?