2TB Hard Drive Recommendation for Premiere XL 748000

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Sparky1234, Feb 19, 2016.

2TB Hard Drive Recommendation for Premiere XL 748000?

1. WD Blue WD20EZRZ 2TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. WD AV-GP WD20EURX 2TB IntelliPower Hard Disk Drive

77.8%
  3. WD Purple WD20PURX 2TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive

22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006

Advertisements

Which one would you choose and why? Have you used any of these? If so, any issues?

WD Blue WD20EZRZ 2TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive

WD AV-GP WD20EURX 2TB IntelliPower Hard Disk Drive

WD Purple WD20PURX 2TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    A TCF member here who's looked into the matter fairly extensively, and had considerable hard drive knowledge going in, has indicated that he feels the Purple is not an optimal choice for TiVos and a WD Red would be better, though I don't think he'd recommend it over the Blue or the Green.

Based on my experience with the previous model, the WD20EURS, and one WD20EURX purchased in 2014, as well as the experiences of others with the WD Green A/V models, I would have pushed for the EURX above all others.

But, as I learned the hard way, WD has either started shipping the EURX with Power Up In Standby enabled, or made a bunch of them that way for a particular manufacturer that wanted that for something they were building, and WD allowed a bunch of them to get into the regular "retail" supply chain.

(I put retail in quotes because you don't go into a store and buy a WD A/V Green in a retail box, with instructions and maybe screws and a data cable, you get just the drive in an anti-static bag inside a brown cardboard box, sort of like Original Equipment Manufacturers, i.e., OEMs, would, and usually have to order it online)

By the time another TCF'er here found out about this and posted about it, I'd already wasted a bunch of time and wound up returning a couple of these to newegg, because the TiVos couldn't see the drives.

It turns out that you can use special utility programs to disable PUIS, so that when power is applied to the drive it goes ahead and spins up right then, and I feel confident I could have done so if I'd known to do so, but since I didn't actually go through that, I can't do what I would otherwise have done--enthusiastically recommend the EURX.

Use this site's Search function and look for PUIS and see if you think you could make yourself a bootable UBCD cd-r and run HDAT-2 and disable PUIS, and if so, then maybe you'll be comfortable with the EURX.

As for the Blue, WD seems to be mixing or combining the Blue and the regular Green lines, so also familiarize yourself with their Intellipark feature used on some of their Green drives, and the

wdidle3.exe

utility necessary to disable it to make a regular Green usable in a TiVo, and consider the possibility that you may wind up needing to do the same on a Blue, especially if it's a 5400RPM and not a 7200RPM drive.

(7200 is faster than a TiVo needs, so while usable, a 5400 drive will be just as fast as far as a TiVo is concerned, and probably run cooler)

3. Sparky1234

May 8, 2006
    unitron -

As always a wealth of knowledge and thanks for the detailed response. I'm familiar with the PUIS issue and widdle3.exe process, neither are show stoppers at this point for me.

I know it's subjective but how quiet is the EURX as compared to the others? Specs are 23 dBa idle and 24 dBa seek (average), I have a 1TB WD blue in my computer and during seek it sounds like a truck - operates fine though.

Sparky1234

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  4. TiVoTJung

TiVoTJung New Member

Jan 29, 2014
    ive got a 4tb purple. no issues

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Advertisements

The WD A/V Greens I've used so far haven't been any louder than the stock TiVo drives they replaced and there's almost always something else in the room that's louder and covers up any noise they might make, at least for me.

6. Sparky1234

May 8, 2006
    4TB in a Premiere XL... Thought limit was 2TB or has something changed? How did you expand to 4TB and does the TiVo recognize the entire 4TB?

7. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    My WD40EFRX is the quietest drive I have ever used. The green drive in my other Tivo isn't quite so silent.

8. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    With the DVRBars program found in the upgrade forum, I think you can upgrade to a 4TB drive. Also you can buy them ready to install from Weaknees, or from DVR_DUDE on Ebay.

9. TiVoTJung

TiVoTJung New Member

Jan 29, 2014

Yea my premiere sees 4TB love the added space

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Until 20.3.8 came out Premieres would boot loop on any drive over 2TB, but since then expansion has been possible.

MFS Tools 3.2 is probably the best tool for that right now. It can copy and expand your existing drive up to 4TB and keeps the standard two media partitions.

There is also a modified version of jmfs and some scripts that can do it.
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=10122059#post10122059

6TB is possible, but tricky.
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=530517

Note: DvrBARS is just for backup/restore. It doesn't do expansion and can't handle drives over 2TB.

11. Sparky1234

May 8, 2006
    Thanks for the guick response and clarification. Just purchased a WD20EURX 2tb hard drive for one Premiere XL. 2nd XL may be getting a 4tb upgrade. Any suggestions on a 4tb drive?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  12. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    WD40EFRX. Quieter, uses less power then even a green drive.

13. Captain_WD

Captain_WD New Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Hey Sparky1234,

Here's some info from my side on our HDD drives and their purposes:

WD Blue is your regular everyday drive that is most commonly used for regular computing, light gaming and workloads and combined with SSD. It is fully capable to run most games as well as many programs for editing or programming.
    WD Green is your energy-efficient drive that works cool, quiet and saves a lot of power. It is designed for backups and secondary storage. Its features allow it to be a great choice for quiet backup builds or for archiving. It is mostly chosen for massive media storage (up to 6TB) in builds that have another drive for the OS and active programs and games.
    WD Green is getting integrated in the WD Blue family as the following: All WD Blue drives above 1TB will be exactly like the WD Green with a fixed rpm at 5,400 and all the other features. The 1TB WD Blue has two versions - one 7,200 rpm (the regular WD Blue that you know) and the 5,400 rpm (the equivalent of the 1TB WD Green). :)
    Here's info on both drives:
    WD Blue: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=asAHch
    WD Green: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=oCS9fS

WD AV-GP is an older model with the most current version being the WD AV. WD AV is a drive that is designed specifically for 24/7 streaming and PVR, DVR and IPTV environments. It is an earlier version of the WD Purple and is still used for constant streaming in TVs, media players, etc. http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=ZidjCk

WD Purple is your surveillance-class drive, designed specifically for surveillance storage, video recording and streaming. It has optimized noise reduction (being the most quiet drive in the consumer line with only 22dBA nooise level during seeking time), significantly reduced frame loss nad optimized firmware. This drive is also used often for desktop computers due to its low noise levels. It has optimized sequential read/write speeds but the random read/write speeds are lower than normal and some people experience problems with it in regular desktops. This is the drive I'd recommend for a normal DVR system. http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=lNuL9e

Have in mind that any drive would work but for the best and most secure performance I'd go with a WD Purple :)

Captain_WD.

14. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Mustn't forget the WD Red drives.

15. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Can you comment on the following regarding using the Purple line in TiVo's (quote from another post by nooneuknow)

Scott

16. Sparky1234

May 8, 2006
    PUIS issues, widdle3.exe process and TLER/ERC function makes selecting correct Green, Red, or Purple 4TB drive difficult. Only TiVoTJung's posting above references experience with a Purple 4TB drive but don't know if it was a do it yourself upgrade or a Weaknees like product. I'm an experienced "do it yourselfer" so the challenges to get to a 4TB or larger solution cheaply are not a problem for me.

17. TiVoTJung

TiVoTJung New Member

Jan 29, 2014
    i am not trying to sound rude but what does it matter if it was purchased upgrade? Or if i did it myself? It works thats what you wanted to know correct?

18. Sparky1234

May 8, 2006
    Sorry if I offended you, that was not my intention. From my posts I was trying to ascertain the best "fitting" 2TB drive and you offered a 4TB solution I was unaware of. I was seeking clarification on your solution. Again sorry.

19. TiVoTJung

TiVoTJung New Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Dude no worries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I'm just throwing this out there - others will certainly disagree, and that's cool.

I wouldn't put any SMR drive in a TiVo, including the Purple line from WD and the new "archive" drives from Seagate. The fact that they publish a rated workload/year rating that's about equal to what a 4-tuner DVR would record just buffering live TV for one year scares me.

There are lots of drives up to 6TB that are known to work reliably for years in a TiVo. Why risk it for $20?