2tb dvrdude drive backup?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by wlepard, Mar 31, 2011.

1. wlepard

wlepard New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    I bought a 2TB drive from the dvr dude to upgrade my S3. Before I install it is there a way to backup the drive so if it fails I don't have to send it back to dude for warranty?

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    :confused: How does having a backup save you from having to send it back on warranty if it fails? (Failure is a hardware problem, not remediable by having a backup.)

3. wlepard

wlepard New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    I can send the drive back to wd for warranty even if dvrdude is nowere to be found.
    with no backup a new drive is just a drive.

4. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Better Check on size limits for S3 . . .

Hey, just a comment here - I am NOT sure about this now, but in the past there was a problem with the S3 accessing more than about 1.5TB on a a single drive. The S3 could access 2TB by using two drives, and the THD box had no problems with a single 2TB drive, but the S3 did have a problem with a single 2TB drive.

This may have changed - it is not something I have needed to research for a while - but I just wanted you to be sure before trying to put that new drive in. Of course, if DVRDude is selling a 2TB drive specifically imaged for an S3, that does imply it will work.

As for a backup - you can image the drive with WD's free Acronis Drive Image tool, but that might require another 2TB drive. That tool also has backup capabilities, but I do not know if it works with a Linux formatted drive - worth a try though.

5. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    V7Goose: As far as I know the Series 3 HD is still limited to 1.25 TB but maybe I missed something too. However many people refer to a TiVo HD or a TiVo HD XL as a Series 3 also so I am guessing that the unit is a TiVo HD or TiVo HD XL. .

wlepard: Do you have your original hard drive? If so you should keep that for a backup. If not you can buy images if DVR Dude is gone. I know there are ways to make a backup image but I can not help you with that take a look at the Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ thread that is a sticky at the top of this page answer should be there.

Good Luck,

6. retiredqwest

retiredqwest Member

Sep 7, 2010
    dvr_dude also has an online site and does sell 2TB upgrades for S3 648 series Tivos.

http://dvrstore.com/showcatalog.php?cat_id=3000

It still doesn't explain what he bought.

And he has a "The defective or return item(s) must be returned with in 30 days." policy.

I wonder what they would do after 30 days.....

7. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Guess that means someone figured out how to use a 2TB drive in a Series 3 HD. But the $200 price for a 2 TB drive seems crazy at least for the Premiere or a TiVo HD given that you can buy a 2 TB drive for $80. Using comer's method pretty much anyone who can change out the drive can do the upgrade from the original drive.

I have not seen a method to upgrade the original Series 3 HD to 2 TB so maybe that is worth the price.

Thanks,

8. wlepard

wlepard New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    I tried using WD's free Acronis Drive Image tool but the program shows no data on drive and so will not back it up.

9. GBL

GBL covert opiniative

Apr 20, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    try winMFS and report the results (and a partition list) back here.

Edited to add: with later versions of Acronis True Image you can optionally create a bit image of a drive (includes un-used sectors).

10. wlepard

wlepard New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    tried winmfs gives error 1 for drive to drive copy and backup didn't work when restored.

11. retiredqwest

retiredqwest Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Mfsinfo
    This tool shows a great deal of information regarding your TiVo drive so save this information to a file with "save to file" option is View->Mfsinfo.

Run WINMFS against the drive and paste the info here.

And for the last time..... did you buy a drive for the S3 or THD.....

12. wlepard

wlepard New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    bought for S3 2tb drive from dvrdude on ebay will post info today

13. wlepard

wlepard New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    heres the info file

Attached Files:

14. ddoyle

ddoyle New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    DVRDude is creating multiple "MFS Media" partitions without creating corresponding "MFS App" partitions. I believe WinMFS requires that partitions be added in pairs, one Media partition and one App partition. Since DVRDude is adding partitions in a different way, this effectively breaks compatibility with WinMFS. At least, this is what I think is happening.

15. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Buy an empty 2TB drive.

Use the MFS Live CD v1.4

run dd_rescue -v /dev/(insert proper nomenclature to identify drive to be copied from here) /dev/(insert proper nomenclature to identify drive to be copied to here)

Does a bit for bit copy, never takes notice of what operating system or partition scheme is on the drive being copied.

It will take a while. If you do it on IDE ports using SATA to IDE adapters, try to put one drive on the primary and one on the secondary to avoid even more slowdown if both are on the same cable, and make sure DMA is enabled.