2nd tuner gone bad, options?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ricosuave, Sep 3, 2007.

1. ricosuave

ricosuave New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    The 2nd tuner on my SD-DVR40 lost signal on about half the channels a few days ago. It can still tune in some like the NFL Network or CNN but I get the searching for signal message on other channels. I swapped the input cables but the 2nd tuner still had the same problem. I also tried unplugging the S-video cable as suggested in other posts but it did not work. Any suggestions as to how I can fix this problem?

If not, what would be the easiest way to keep all my recordings and SP's and transfer them to a spare Directivo I have sitting in the closet?

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Check the signal strengths for all transponders to see if you can see a pattern.

Since the unit can still playback the recordings, the easiest is to just keep it connected as a single input unit to watch the shows.

3. rmassey

rmassey Damn, these are fun!

Sep 5, 2002
    Colorado
  4. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    Unless you already have the unit hacked, you can't transfer the programs. They are encoded to that particular unit. The only way to transfer them is to copy to DVD or VHS.

Now, if you had hacked the unit - you could use MRV to transfer any/all of the programs to another Directivo connected to your home network.

5. ricosuave

ricosuave New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Thanks for the advice guys. I don't know why I hadn't thought about MRV'ing the shows to another Tivo.

6. ricosuave

ricosuave New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    I got the following error message when doing the guided setup to disable the 2nd tuner on the Directivo:

Sat B: right side not detected

Anyone know what that means?

7. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I believe that means that the Sat In 2 tuner can't detect the even TPs.