2nd Tivo and upgrade Tivo questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Teledatageek, Dec 31, 2005.

  1. Teledatageek

    Teledatageek Member

    Jun 26, 2004
    Need some advice. I have searched and searched and can't find the answers I need.

    1. I bought my dad a Series 2 Tivo with one year pre-paid service - Rebate is applied automatically. Dad likes Tivo so much he wants a 2nd one! Good thing for Tivo, but what I can't figure out is can we get a 2nd one with a rebate since the monthly will be $6.95? Looks like Best Buy has them for $199.00 and there's a $150.00 rebate so the net would be $49.00.

    2. I purchased two refurb Series 2 rebates @18 months ago with rebates. I've been holding out for the cable card units for an upgrade but since I'm paying $12.95 and $6.95 per month for my boxes, could I upgrade an get the current rebates (and in the process upgrade my boxes?). Or maybe I upgrade and get the one for my dad. I'm also thinking maybe I should upgrade to get new boxes now since a cable card version may be several months down the road.... Also thinking that cable card models won't have rebates for a while.

    I'm confused at how to handle this.... Thanks in advance for your help.
  2. Slicker

    Slicker New Member

    Aug 26, 2002
    1. assuming you bought and filed the rebate in your name, there's no reason dad couldn't do another purchase and quailfy. he'll get more than a year's service, due to the discount. you still pay the 12.95x12 to get the instant rebate, but it lasts longer

    2. not clear what you mean in #2
  3. Teledatageek

    Teledatageek Member

    Jun 26, 2004
    So does that mean that you pay for 12 months of service x $12.95 but you end up getting @22 months worth of service because the billing rate is $6.95 per month? I did order it for him and pre-paid the service so sounds like he's eligible.

    What I was trying to say in my 2nd point is that maybe I should upgrade my Tivo's and take advantage of the current rebates. I end up getting fresh unit(s) for a relatively low price. I'm paying full monthly now anyway..... Or do I not qualify for some reason. Does that make sense?
  4. ZeoTiVo

    ZeoTiVo I can't explain

    Jan 2, 2004
    for a second TiVo on an acoount (see them in the same login to manage my account) they will take 6.95 a month out of the year prepaid.

    Note - you can go lifetime at time of activation and use a credit card to pay the difference. Something to consider if your Dad will use these or me than 2 years.

    the TiVos will last a long time. The only usual problem is a hard drive goes bad - but you can rerplace that yourself, have TiVo do it or use a 3rd party and it will not affect your subscription at all.

    short answer - there is no need to refresh the TiVos. If you lack hard drive space then put in a larger drive adn keep the box chugging along. If this is what you want then reply here and many will post on how to upgrade the drive. IF it was me I would wait for the Cable Card TiVo and see what kind of price they are selling at before deciding, even if it will be 10 months before we see it.

    actually that is what I am doing and my money is on the first half of 2006 for the cable card TiVo. if nothing else next week is the CES show when TiVo will clue us in on what they can publicly say about plans for the year.
  5. Teledatageek

    Teledatageek Member

    Jun 26, 2004
    Fast forward two months... Looks like we're in a for a bit of a wait for the Series 3...

    1. I would like to upgrade my capacity for one of my Tivo's. I know I can buy the Weaknees kit but thinking maybe it makes more sense to get an 80 hour Tivo, pay for the 12 months of service (I'm paying full price now anyway) and get a new box.

    Does this make sense? Seems like it to me given that it effectively costs me the same or a little less to get 80 hours but also gets me a Series Two that is two years newer.

    Or is there some reason I'm not "allowed" to do something like this from Tivo.

    2. I of course will jump on getting at least one Series 3 when they finally come out. Does anyone think that my participating in a rebate on a Series 2 will effect the price I get on a Series 3? I don't think so because there will no need to discount Series 3 boxes initially, maybe a year from now....

    Thanks for the help!!

Share This Page