2400 vs 5400

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mtims, Mar 22, 2011.

1. mtims

mtims New Member

Mar 14, 2011

Advertisements

Are there any performance differences picture quality etc between the 2400 series and the 5400?

2. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    I believe the 240 series is faster

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you're trying to make a purchase decision on a used unit, go on Craigslist and find yourself a TCD649080 or TCD648180 dual tuner unit for $20 or $30.

When you discover how useful it is to have the equivalent of 2 Tivos in one box for the price of 1, you'll thank me.

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    A 648 is an original Series 3. While it's a better unit than any Series 2, they generally aren't appropriate for the same situations. But probably that was a typo?

I can't fully agree with the recommendation of a 649. Its dual-tuning only works if you still have at least some analog cable channels; otherwise, it's effectively a single-tuner Series 2. Also, unlike all other TiVos (except for the rare 542), it doesn't handle antenna channels, at all. Even in the digital era, other Series 2 units can control external CECBs, but the 649 won't -- the result of TiVo's lame attempt to bypass the tuner mandate. However, if you don't need OTA, then even as a single-tuner unit, the 649 is probably the best of the Series 2's.

5. mtims

mtims New Member

Mar 14, 2011

Advertisements

I knew there was one with no RF connector, wondered why didn't occur to me was to get around no selling anything unless it could digital too if it had analog.

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    All Tivos have an RF connector, which has nothing to do with what the tuners are capable of receiving.

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The 240 and 540 are externally identical, in that they have all the same inputs and outputs, and the work the same way.

Both use the KifirII encoder and associated components.

The 240 uses a separate CPU, video decoder, and USB chip, while the 540 has those chips and the TiVo ASIC embedded on one chip. My understanding is the 240 is slightly better for video, and much better for USB. Also, if you wish to hack, the 540 and newer units need a PROM hack. 240 and previous can use just an HDD level hack.

All Standalone TiVos to date have had one sort of RF input or another. Series 1/2 models have analog tuners, and except for DVD combos, RF modulator outputs (DVD combos had RF passthrough). Series 3/4 have antenna and cable RF inputs.

You might be thinking of the 542 and 649 TiVos, whose tuners only support analog cable, and as said, as a lame way to get around the digital tuner requirement.

8. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    On the other hand a 649 can be connected simultaneously to an analog cable TV feed and a Cable STB or a free Cable DTA through an external tuner such as an old VCR. With this setup the TiVo can dual tune channels on the cable and get a third source from the STB. It can record from any two of the three sources at the same time.

I currently have two 649s working like that.

In my case I'm too fringe at present to get OTA so not being able to tune digital OTA on those is no loss.

9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The 540 units suck! They are extremely slow. So slow there is a noticeable lag when simply navigating the UI. I've owned pretty much every TiVo ever made and the only one worse then 540 unit was the Toshiba DVD unit, which is actually based on the same hardware as the 540 unit, but slower.

If you have to chose between the two get the 240 unit.

Dan

10. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Yeah, it was a typo, I was referring to the version of the S2 DT with the 160GB hard drive, the TCD649180.

When you say antenna channels, do you mean the analog VHF and UHF signals that used to be broadcast, or the current "digital" over the air offerings?

During guided setup the 649080 (we have two) asks if I've got cable or satellite or both and asks if I use a cable box, so I assumed that as long as you could get the right IR codes to change channels you could use anything that plugs into the line inputs.

For reasons too bizarre to recount here, our coupons went elsewhere, so I haven't gotten to play with any coupon boxes yet.

I'm surprised to find that older single tuner S2s would be superior to the DT in some way.

11. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Both. It's not a physical limitation; it's merely a policy, imposed in software. When they added support for CECBs, TiVo decided that their no-OTA policy for the 649 and 542 should extend to not supporting CECBs on those units, either. I disagree with their reasoning, but, they didn't ask me.