24 - Day 7: 1:00-2:00 pm OAD 1/26/09 (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DevdogAZ, Jan 27, 2009.

1. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona

Advertisements

Good episode. As soon as it was over, my wife said, "I'm kind of liking this season." I agree with her. It's been pretty good so far. I was glad to see Tony and Jack pull one over on the bad guys, and hopefully Agent Walker now believes them.

I did think it was a little unrealistic that the mostly paralyzed 60-year old First Dude was able to fight with a 25 year old Secret Service agent but that's pretty minor.

2. Eptiger

Eptiger TiVo N00b

Jan 16, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    There's only one other thing that bothered me: the rate at which these government agencies are able to produce "reports" for the president. Why don't they just pick up the phone and call her? Is she doing something more important?

Anyway, yeah, I'm also enjoying the season. I was sad to see Tony's "brother" die like that, but I guess there wouldn't have been any easy way to keep him alive. Anyone else watch the preview for next week?

I wonder where they'll go with the season if they catch Dubaku in next week's episode? I guess he'll just get away?

Elton

3. s2kdave

s2kdave New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    Yeah, and just because he could barely make a fist doesn't mean the drugs wore off enough where he had full use of his arms.

Yeah it's a pretty good season so far although there are a bunch of little things that bother me. Like when dubacu isn't hacked into the network, doesn't the normal flight communications resume? Why don't they warn them about the situation and set up a secondary protocol for the next week or so? Or is dubacu carrying the full work load of hundreds of employees in addition to his terrorist actions? Also, if the white house knew about the other aspects like the electrical and water supply, couldn't they just phone them and at least give them a heads up that someone is phishing or misrepresenting the white house orders?

4. jwreiner

jwreiner New Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Connecticut

For me, 24 is never just boring like other shows. Instead, I have some combination of liking it/hating it at the same time. This season, I have more of the liking it, but still a small fraction of the hating it.

Most of the hating it at the moment is related to the fact that all of the deaths so far are a result of the ex-CTU plan of exposing "corruption". Something like 300 people have died so far. Several thousand more have been put at risk. The show hasn't really set up why the "good guys" thought that all these loses were justifiable? To achieve or prevent what, exactly? Also, the whole firewall thing might be the craziest concept 24 has ever invented, which is saying quite alot.

5. vikingguy

vikingguy New Member

Aug 11, 2005

Advertisements

Another enjoyable epsiode. Any time jack and tony get into a fire fight it is all good. That knife into the back of the hot chick was pretty brutal. I am liking this season much more than the last.

6. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Actually, the second knife wound in the front, was more brutal....

7. jeepair

jeepair Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Reports: LOL, I was thinking the same exact thing. No way you can get all that data and format it properly and logically etc...

Jack covering Tony. I would have chosen a semi-auto instead of a bolt action for a fast 2nd shot. I don't see how he could have aquired the 2nd bad guy that fast... And... a scope at 30-50 yards? Even if the scope was out as far as it could go, there would be a limited field of view. Would have been better for something like an eotech or aimpoint or iron than a scope. Anyway, that bugged me a bit.

8. TIVOSciolist

TIVOSciolist Bye to High Society

Oct 13, 2003
    Oakland,...
    A good season. So far, I like Agent Walker even more than Naked Mandy.

9. nrrhgreg

nrrhgreg Member

Aug 30, 2003
    I don't get how, after 5 hours of planes being grounded, there are still 1300 planes in the air.

10. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I don't get how most of the Cabinet would think that doing whatever terrorists tell you to do because otherwise they might hurt you is even remotely sound policy...

Seems to me that Dubaku should know enough recent history to realize that the moment those two planes collided, he had committed suicide for himself and his country.

11. dba62

dba62 New Member

Sep 2, 2005
    How long did it take to ground all air traffic on 9/11 from the time the decision was made until the time the final plane landed?

12. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Blasphemy!

13. bubba1972

bubba1972 Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Just because you point two planes toward each other doesn't mean they are going to collide. There is a lot of empty space up in the sky...

14. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Not in the "24" universe...:D

15. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    They must also use blind pilots. The skies were clear. Visibility was likely unlimited and they still didn't see the other plane.

In Die Hard 2 when they took over ATC, they took over voice communications as well. Have they done that here too so that the real ATC can't talk with the planes?

Why does it take so long to land these planes? As it is an emergency, they should be able to land anywhere. Runway, highway, country road, etc.

16. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    You forgot that the time warp that is Jack Bauer is in DC. Time & space don't work the same way when he's around.

Greg

17. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    I like the show I just have to learn to ignore stupid plot points. Nothing ATC could do would make planes hit each other. They all have active alerting systems (TCAS) that force response to near miss conditions which are completely independent of ATC. Of course the same was true in Die Hard 2 as well where the bad guys moved the ILS using a computer.....

Still moving at a nice pace.

18. IJustLikeTivo

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    About 3 hours. Mostly due to the trans oceanic stuff. Also, they had to wait for VFR traffic to land since they had no way to ground them directly.

19. IJustLikeTivo

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    They've only done it twice, but they always land them at airports. At some point they have to be able to take off. And, you can't land an airliner just anywhere, they weight up to 1 million lbs.

20. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Another great episode! Agreed that the "Popular" girl's death by knife was quite brutal.

So...the whole silent clock for Agent Walker last week was because she technically was "dead" (her heart stopped and needed a adrenaline injection). In this very same episode they explain that Tony's heart was slowed down to a crawl, but since it never stopped... he didn't get a silent clock in the episode that he "died." Clever! ;)