21 New HD Channels live today (9/26)

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by bonscott87, Sep 26, 2007.

1. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    See here for details: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=97211
    or here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=914047

21 new HD channels are live making 31 total not including any HD locals or RSNs you might get in your area.

About 40 more are expected according to press releases by the end of October including many RSNs.

And before you ask, to receive the new channels you need:
    * MPEG4 receiver (H20/21 or HR20)
    * 5 LNB dish
    * BBand converters (or an SWM)
    * Zinwell multiswitch if you require one

Have fun!

2. hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...
    Yeah good... but I wonder how much actual HD content is really there yet?

3. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    A lot, from my sampling this morning. Even the Weather Channel, which I would not have expected to gain much from being in HD, looks a lot better.

4. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    Uhhhhh, most of it? :confused: Even CNN is in full HD except when doing broadcasts from the Atlanta studios.

These are the same HD channels that Dish and cable have been adding or will add. Nothing new there. The channels themselves determine what is actually in HD on the channel (remember when ESPN HD was just a couple games a week in HD and SD the rest of the time?) So if the content you want isn't in HD then don't bother with it. Personally it will be nice to convert a dozen or so SD season passes like Dirty Jobs and Mythbusters to HD. :D

5. hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...
    Reading through the dbstalk threads on individual channels (dbstalk forum here), a lot of reports of upconverted AND stretched content. Are you saying that all content on CNN-HD is true HD?

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Until all news channels have HD cameras in the field, there can't be true HD all of the time. They may have 16:9 standard def cameras which can look pretty good.

7. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    From what I read on AVS, any studio shows that come from New York on in HD but any from Atlanta will not be because it's not converted to HD yet. Obviously anything in the field would only be HD if they had HD camera's to cover the story.

Just like say NBC nightly news. Studio is in HD but not all the stories or in the field reports are in HD.
    Or even ESPN still. Studio is in HD but not all programming is in HD.

Just like with SciFi channel goes HD next month. I highly doubt it will be HD 24x7. But you can bet all their "big shows" that most people watch will be in HD (like BSG and Stargate).

TNT-HD is SD upconverted when not showing HD.

There is nothing different about any of these channels over all the other HD channels that are out there over the past 6 years.

8. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003

Only not everyone has the equipment already to view them, so the relative value vs upgrade could be an issue for some. For others it's a way to say "I don't even want what I can't get!"

9. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    I've been watching the smithsonian channel and history channel. Both are showing HD content.

10. gio1269

gio1269 "HR20 Army"

Jul 27, 2006
    And that's the nail in the coffin for the HR10-250! ;)

It was nice while it lasted!

Man, the new stuff does look good. CNN-HD looks great now. much better PQ even when it's not HD!

11. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver New Member

Oct 25, 2003
    Fort Worth, TX
    Yes, see y'all later! :D

The PQ on the new channels is stunning!

12. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    According to Satguys the PQ seems actually as good as FIOS. That is certainly amazing if true. I'm sure the boys at AVS will have some numbers soon in the coming days. I can't wait to get home and see for myself.

13. xtc

xtc New Member

Jan 22, 2005
    All the Starz HD channels are not working even though they are part of the rollout of new HD channels today. I called up DirecTV and they said they should be up by the end of this month.

14. Mavrick22

Mavrick22 New Member

Feb 7, 2006
  15. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Because one just isn't enough for something so major?

16. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    Probably because not everyone visits the other forums on this board.

17. coachO

coachO New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    near...
    I got my HR20 out of the box to try the new channels. I didn't think they looked much better but it may have been the content. Also, none of these channels override my dislike for the HR20. It went back in the box.

I will try again when they get the scifi channel out and hopefully USA.

ps. I only had to get the HR20 out of the box because the one in my son's room has already died after 5 weeks. Technician coming out in 3 days - maybe it knows I dont like it..........

18. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Well, not quite yet and not for everybody. I was prepared for a pang of jealousy, being disenfranchised from the new content (by my own choice), but I can't remember the last time I could be bothered to watch anything on any single one of the new channels, so I don't think I'd be missing anything at all, even if more than about 15% of the content (heck, even if 100% of the content) were actually in HD.

I guess that pang will have to wait a month, but I'm not even sure it will happen then. I can easily count on the fingers of one hand the programs I watch on DTV that I don't already get in HD, and it doesn't seem that any of those would be HD for some time, regardless of whether they launch HD channels for them on DTV.

19. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    I think you might be giving it waaaay too much credit. It's obviously not that smart.

Do you expect much HD content on USA and SCIFI? I might have continued with "The 4400" if it had been in HD.

Naaah, probably not. :)

20. jrock

jrock Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Connecticut
    I still love my HR10-250. I have 3 DVR's on my main 55" Living Room TV. I have the HR10-250 that I use to record all the SD Stuff and NBC HD since its the only local I can get waivered for. I have an S3 with Comcast that I use to record ABC HD, CBS HD, Fox HD, and CW HD programs. Then I have an HR20-700 that I am using for all the new HD channels and what doesn't fit on the first 2 boxes. Some nights I have all 6 tuners running at 8pm - 10pm.

-Joe