2020 Rose Parade

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by HarleyRandom, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Jan 1, 2020 #1 of 16
    HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015
    TiVo makes the experience much better. Even if I "watch live", I have to watch two networks at once, so I have to back up during commercial breaks. NBC has superior coverage in terms of showing more of the entries, but neither NBC nor ABC shows everything.

ABC spends a lot of time on behind the scenes and has a man who interviews people, plus commentary on the football games. If you watch only ABC, you miss so much. On the other hand, I would have missed some entries by just watching NBC. The parade is presented by Honda, but didn't they mean Hoda?

I don't think some of the entries are live because I saw them on NBC long after they were on ABC. Still, there is usually an NBC logo with the word "Live".

Lots of really nice floats! Lots of great bands!

The Oregon cheerleaders showed their tummies but the Wisconsin cheerleaders wore short skirts. I prefer the skirts.

A "recording sensation" is defined as someone who makes noise rather than performing music. Now the performance from "Frozen" was music. I was able to skip over whatever that was at the beginning. The number of Grammys earned by those responsible for that does not impress me.

No Mexicans on horses this year. I wonder how long it has been since they weren't on. But we did have a woman who walked while spinning her lasso around.

ABC has a tendency to avoid horses but they did show the Clydesdales and the therapy horses.

2. Jan 1, 2020 #2 of 16
    DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    The parade was also broadcast on Hallmark Channel.

3. Jan 1, 2020 #3 of 16
    Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Littleton,...
    Hallmark had the KTLA feed and IMO was better then ABC or NBC. For many years HGTV had a commercial free broadcast but I noticed they did carry it this year.

In 2002 my daughter marched in the parade and many more networks carried it. Back then I had 5 VCR's recording the parade on different TV's and a computer with video card. I still have the tapes.

4. Jan 1, 2020 #4 of 16
    HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    Well, as much as I would like to watch their Christmas movies, it's too expensive to have anything other than the broadcast channels, the cable news channel, home shopping, public access and WGN America. And when people try to argue they should get what they pay for, it has been explained the cost would end up being the same and some cable channels would go off the air.

I am working on getting a antenna but my location might mean that doesn't work. Even the cheap package is no longer cheap.

5. Jan 1, 2020 #5 of 16
    unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    Are you watching last years parade? We are in 2020 last I checked ;)

jsmeeker, jay_man2 and Mikeguy like this.
  6. Jan 1, 2020 #6 of 16
    Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    I found the best coverage on the simulcast RFD-TV and the Cowboy Channel.

7. Jan 1, 2020 #7 of 16
    alpacaboy

alpacaboy Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2004
    KTLA feed is on Facebook. It looks like it's still up. The idea in this feed was that the announcers wouldn't talk over the bands.

I think tivocommunity parsed my link. not sure if it made it through.
    Just in case, in pieces:
    www.facebook.com/ktla5
    /videos
    /598931790942226/
    (all one line)
    (On facebook, I just searched for "ktla rose parage" and it found it, even with my typo..)

Edit to add: not the primary ktla feed, but a secondary camera. Still a great view, but no closeups and host banter.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  8. Jan 1, 2020 #8 of 16
    robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    KTLA (CW) in the LA market (where I am) is the best in my opinion. They also put it up on Youtube.

alpacaboy likes this.
  9. Jan 1, 2020 #9 of 16
    Michael S

Michael S Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Did Amazon carry the parade again this year?

10. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    It is 2020 now, thanks to a request to fix the thread title. Whether or not it was the last one of the old decade or first one of the new decade is still up for discussion. :p

11. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    As someone living in So Cal for the past 40 years, We always watch n KTLA. they have always had the best coverage. This year My GF and I went to watch it on Colorado Blvd live. She was a bit cold, but we enjoyed it.

12. pj1983

pj1983 Active Member

Dec 26, 2016
    BFE NoVa
    Out here on the East Coast, of the major networks only ABC carried it. Didn't think to check Hallmark (we only get one of the two Hallmark channels, and it was probably on the one we don't get anyway), and were surprised that HGTV blew it off altogether. I guess The Property Brothers have bigger fish to fry these days.

Agree that the local SoCal stations do the best job, it certainly was that way when we lived there (and marched in it) years ago.

13. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I wonder why you didn't get the NBC coverage. Is there not an affiliate in your market?

14. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    And I'll be forgetting for several weeks.

15. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    There are some places with local New Year's Day parades that preempt network coverage.

The Mummers Parade in Philadelphia used to air on the NBC affiliate there, for example. (And it's a long enough parade that -- back in the days when NBC had the rights to some New Year's Day bowl games -- it would even preempt the bowl games, which would air on an independent station instead.)

16. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I always liked the KTLA feed when I lived in Southern California. It's still on my list to go to the Tournament of Roses parade (and Macy's Thanksgiving) at some point. I have two kids in marching band, perhaps that will be my in at some point.

Didn't really like the Frozen performance and the precedent it set. There are already plenty of lip-synced Broadway bits in the Macy's parade.