2020 Fall TV Season thread

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Steveknj, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey

Advertisements

It's a weird fall season for TV. I haven't even looked at any new content the OTA networks or some of the cable stations have put out.

What are you all looking forward to?

The only shows that have come up on my radar are:

1) Fargo
    2) The Amazing Race

I have NO idea of any new shows or content. Interested in what people here have found.

2. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    I don't care about new shows, just new seasons of my tried and true ones (how good can a new show in this environment be anyway). I'll try I Can See Your Voice, mainly because although new it's really a spin-off of The Masked Singer.

In chronological order the most interesting stuff to me is Archer season 11 Wed. Sept 16 FXX, Fargo season 4 Sun. Sept 27 FX, Baroness Von Sketch Show 5th and final season Wed. Oct 14 IFC (same night as Amazing Race) and Deutschland 89 (season 3) Thurs. Oct 29 Sundance.

Notice no mention of anything from The Walking Dead universe.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  3. lambertman

lambertman I am not Bertman

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    As an old, I await more CBS premiere dates :)
    But I plan to watch (and probably be disappointed by) FOX's "Next". And ABC's "Supermarket Sweep", of course.

4. The Spud

The Spud Rather be cruising TCF Club

Aug 27, 2002
    Kent, WA
    NBC is airing a medical drama called Transplant. It's a Canadian series that premiered in Canada this past February. 2 episodes so far (3rd episode tonight). I'm a medical drama junkie so I'm inclined to like just about anything, so it's no surprise that I like this one.

LlamaLarry and TIVO_GUY_HERE like this.
  5. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006

Advertisements

Yeah, I like Transplant too. I hope we have a few old shows returning soon?????

TIVO_GUY_HERE likes this.
  6. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Didn't much care for the first episode. Maybe I'l give the second a try...

7. rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Coroner, on The CW, is another show from Canada.

I like that we're getting exposure to content produced elsewhere.

8. KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    TVLine posted an article with some of their recommendations (both for "watch" and "skip").

Fall TV Best and Worst New Shows: ‘Haunting of Bly Manor,’ ‘Departure’ | TVLine

"Soulmates" (AMC) appeals to me, and it is a short first season.
    "Utopia" (Amazon Prime) is something I will probably add to my Wishlist and then forget to watch until much later.
    I'm going to try the first ep of "NEXT" just to see how bad it might be.

9. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Thanks! Added a few to my notes to check out

Might have to rewatch
    The Haunting of Hill House again - One of the best seasons/mini-series of a show ever!

10. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    here's my list of early premiers set in tivo:
    • excited about fargo
    • transplant is ok, i'm keep the 1p for now
    • van der valk on pbs premiered last night, and it was ok - the chemistry between the two leads is great, the rest of the cast is meh - i think it's 3 eps
    • flesh and blood premiers on pbs soon, russel tovey is one of three siblings, so i'll give it a try
    • a wilderness of error premiers soon on fx (already in my tdl), a 3 part documentary i'm giving a chance
    • filthy rich is also in my tdl, kim cattrall, gerald mcraney, steve harris
    • next with jon slattery on fox
    • looking forward to departure on peacock with kalinda archi panjabi christopher plummer
    2020 Fall TV Premiere Calendar

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  11. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    I'm decidedly not a medical drama person and had the same experience with Transplant as I did last year with another NBC freshman medical drama whose name escapes me. I really enjoyed the Transplant pilot - they had a unique hook to it that made it more broadly appealing to non-medical drama people like myself. But in the 2nd episode they immediately went into the standard medical drama formula and I couldn't take it more than 20 minutes. It became clear the mysterious guy from the pilot is about to become this show's McDreamy and when the patient life and death melodrama hit time slowed to a near standstill for me and I had to bail.

12. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I was never a fan of hers and couldn't really understand the storylines of multiple people being attracted to her... I magically saw the first episode of Departure and was so-so about it. Perhaps I'll give it another shot now that it'l be accessible without a lot of effort...

13. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    This is probably the first time that I can recall that I haven't gone over the new fall lineup and set up all of my new shows to record. I usually start looking over the show descriptions on The Futon Critic and other sites to decide what shows I want to check out and which ones to avoid. I think this time around I'll just wait and see what kind of responses the new shows get and then decide which ones I want to check out.

I did see one short series on Showtime about the Reagans starting Nov. 15th. It's a 4-part series about the Reagans in the White House but it explores the level of power that Nancy Reagan had behind the scenes.

14. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    We liked it enough to keep it around.

We are also looking forward Emily in Paris on Netflix (coming Oct 2).
    TV Roundup: Netflix Announces 'Emily in Paris' Premiere Date (Watch) - Variety

15. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I'm looking forward to Fargo and The Madalorian

Steveknj likes this.
  16. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I watched the first ep because it wouldn't transfer off the TiVo properly (couldn't play the recording on computer.. happens for some TLS recordings), and was really big..

Interesting, though it's weird to have a show set in Amsterdam in English? They had British accents, and I definitely saw some things ('police' banners on SWAT type cops) in the original language.

The waitress was kind of hot though.