2019 V70 Thread - Edge of a new decade? Still last decade's problems.

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by lajohn27, Jan 5, 2019.

Has TIVO support gotten dramatically worse? Or is it about the same?

1. - DRAMATICALLY WORSE, like Richard Burton & Liz Taylor drunken fight worse

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. - About the same. When was it ever good? other than when E. Stephen Mack was there?

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Jan 5, 2019 #1 of 42
    lajohn27

lajohn27 Fanboi.. So what?

Dec 29, 2003
    Canada
    I got a TIVO mini A92 to pair with TIVO Roamio PRO earlier this week. (Wed) I waited the 24 hours and still V70 during guided setup on the MINI.

Tried it with just MOCA, just Ethernet, in the same room side by side.. upside down, holding my nose with two fingers and my toes crossed.

So yesterday, I called TIVO support. Why don't they just called that "TIVO slit your wrist and let us blame it on you" phone line? They had me do all the same things I had done in the three days prior and then declared my mini was 'defective' and that was that.

HUH??? Can someone help me? I still love this product but the people behind it are woefully lacking these days..

2. Jan 5, 2019 #2 of 42
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Did you force a TiVo connection on the Host after activating the Mini?

It won't work 'til you do...

-KP

3. Jan 5, 2019 #3 of 42
    kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I suppose after 3 days the Host would've connected by now.

Are both devices capable of connecting to the internet?

They both have IP Address' appropriate for your Local Network?

Can you 'ping' both IP Address' from a 3rd device successfully?

-KP

4. Jan 5, 2019 #4 of 42
    lajohn27

Dec 29, 2003
    Canada
    Internet connection on both units? YES
    IP addresses appropriate to local network : YES
    Ping both IP addresses : YES

Did I force a TIVO connection on the main box : 18 times

Cycled power on whole shebang and brought up each element 1 x 1:
    Cable Modem = Wait 3 minutes
    Router = wait 3 minutes
    TIVO = wait 3 minutes then force connection
    MINI = wait 3 minutes then attempt guided setup

TIVO tells me the software update on the MINI is failing.. But.. something stinks in the state of denmark, lots of other users have ROAMIO boxes with A92 minis and no issues. Or am I wrong on that point?

5. Jan 5, 2019 #5 of 42
    kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Both MoCA and Ethernet work for getting a valid IP Address?

Is there a Network Switch involved, external from the switch in the Router?

Are there Netgear Devices involved?

They seem to be the worst for IGMP Snooping...

-KP

6. Jan 5, 2019 #6 of 42
    lajohn27

Dec 29, 2003
    Canada
    Ethernet or MOCA both replicate the same behavior.. everything is tickety-boo til guided setup on the mini fails AFTER connection to TIVO servers with "Cannot find TIVO DVR"

No network switch, both devices are connected to a Touch P5 from TP LINK with the IPTV stuff turned off on that router. Tried turning it on but zero difference.

No Netgear anything.

7. Jan 5, 2019 #7 of 42
    kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas

Can you be more specific?

-KP

2. 22. IPTV If your ISP provides IPTV service and has provided some detailed IPTV parameters, you can configure your Touch P5 to permit IPTV connection. Configure IPTV setup to enable Internet /IPTV /Phone service provided by my Internet Service Provider (ISP). 1. Visit TP-Link, and then log in with the username and password you set for your Touch P5. 2. Go to Advanced > Network > IPTV. 3. If your ISP provides the networking service based on IGMP technology, e.g., British Telecom (BT) and TalkTalk in UK: 1 ) Select the IGMP Proxy checkbox and select the IGMP Version, either V2 or V3, according to information provided by your ISP. 2 ) Click Save. 3 ) After configuring IGMP proxy, IPTV can work behind your Touch P5 now. You can connect your set-top box to any of your Touch P5’s LAN port. If IGMP is not the technology your ISP applies to provide IPTV service: 1 ) Select the Enable IPTV check box. 2 ) Select the appropriate Mode according to your ISP. Select Bridge if your ISP is not listed and no other parameters are required, and then skip to Step 4. Select Custom if your ISP is not listed but provides necessary parameters. I want to: How can I do that? Chapter 2 Configure Touch P5 as a Router 48 3 ) After you have selected a mode, the necessary parameters are predetermined. You can perform other configuration, e.g. entering the IPTV Multicast VLAN ID and selecting the IPTV Multicast VLAN Priority in Russia mode according to your ISP. 4 ) For Russia, Singapore-ExStream, Malaysia-Unifi and MalaysiaMaxis mode, connect the set-top box to the predetermined LAN port. For Bridge and Custom mode, select the LAN type and connect the set-top box to the corresponding port. 5 ) Click Save. Your IPTV setup is done now! You may need to configure your set-top box before enjoying your TV.

8. Jan 5, 2019 #8 of 42
    lajohn27

Dec 29, 2003
    Canada
    I can try ... there is a menu for the items as noted above.. I have tried it with those items "ON" or with them "OFF" and no difference.

9. Jan 5, 2019 #9 of 42
    kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    What Firmware version is on your TP-Link?

-KP

10. lajohn27

Dec 29, 2003
    Canada
    Here is how those IGMP/IPTV settings are configured in the router currently.

Attached Files:

11. lajohn27

Dec 29, 2003
    Canada
    1.0.2 Build 20160125 Rel. 39062

12. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Do you have a different router you could test with?

-KP

TP: PK6VSEPICC

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  13. lajohn27

Dec 29, 2003
    Canada
    I can do ya one better than that.. How about NO router?

I have a DLINK -- tried that same result.

So, decided to hook from cable modem output direct into MAIN TIVO ROAMIO - which did get an assigned IP from cableco. Connected to TIVO servers fine; made it a bridge for MOCA and powered up the TIVO Mini.

Which then promptly failed at the same point in guided setup unable to see the same DVR it was connecting via MOCA to get to the TIVO servers.

That's some bad engineering right there.. but almost so bad they should win an award for it. Seriously, stop and think about it, the very box assigning the mini an IP address and the mini can't see it.

That's mad skillz!

14. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I don't believe the TiVo will act as a DHCP Server.

Try manually assigning (internal) IP Address' to the MoCA devices.

Also, verify what IP Address' the TiVo's get.

Edit: Also clarify what a DLINK is? A Network Switch? Or a Router?

-KP

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  15. lajohn27

Dec 29, 2003
    Canada
    but it's the TiVo wasn't correctly assigning an IP address than the mini should not and could not connect successfully to the TiVo servers which by the way it can.

further when I check under Network troubleshooting Network status I see the TiVo and the other TiVo minimini thr the MoCA setup.

having said all that, I'm not here to argue but learn, so I'm going to do exactly as you said and see what happens.

D-Link again is a router . I've got switches I haven't got any of that fancy crap lol

16. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Network Diagnostics ought to be able to display the current IP Address. If it starts with 169., it's not being assigned a valid address.

If it was, it would (most likely) start with 192. .

But, there's no DHCP functon built in to TiVo. It merely Bridges MoCA and Ethernet to pass it along to the Router and/or DHCP Server.

-KP

17. lajohn27

Dec 29, 2003
    Canada
    IT was assigned at the router level via MOCA it would appear.

There is no Ethernet currently plugged to mini so that's only explanation

Attached Files:

18. lajohn27

Dec 29, 2003
    Canada
    Total side note ; I can stream just fine from the TiVo Roamio to my phone using the app for example.

19. lajohn27

Dec 29, 2003
    Canada
    Sooooo still want me to manually assign or? I don't mind just asking

20. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    That router has IGMP, too...great! (not...)

The IP's in that photo were provided by the DHCP Server in the D-Link Router.

I was talking about manually assigning (in TiVo Network Setup) when the TiVo was connected directly to the Cable Modem, since there wouldn't be a DHCP Server available at that point.

It's still worth a try.

Before that, see if there are settings to disable all the IGMP stuff in the D-Link. IGMP is thoroughly documented to cause this issue. I suppose there's a valid argument either way as to which hardware is 'at fault'.

-KP