1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 Emmy nominations

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, Jul 12, 2018 at 1:02 PM.

1. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    tim1724 and Mikeguy like this.
  2. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    That drama category is stacked.

3. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm glad to see The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel getting some much deserved love. Also glad to see Darren Criss get nominated for The Assassination of Gianni Versace. It was really hard to watch, but his performance was stellar. There really were so many great performances and quality shows in the last year.

4. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    For once I've actually seen at least 50% of those shows.

5. PJO1966

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd say we're closer to 80%, maybe higher.

6. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    If they restricted it to OTA/Broadcast there would be no Emmys. :)

7. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    NBC had 78 nominations. (3rd behind Netflix & HBO)

8. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Pretty much just for half hour Comedy and SNL.

9. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Actually, The Voice, This Is Us, and Jesus Christ Superstar each got more than all of the half-hour sitcoms put together.

Here's NBC's count by show:
    SNL - 22 (if you include "Creating SNL")
    Jesus Christ Superstar - 13
    The Voice - 10
    This Is Us - 8
    Will & Grace - 5
    Super Bowl Halftime Show - 4
    American Ninja Warrior - 3
    Golden Globes - 2
    The Good Place - 2
    America's Got Talent, The Blacklist, Blindspot, Ellen's Game of Games, Hollywood Game Night, Jay Leno's Garage, Late Night with Seth Meyers, Law & Order True Crime: The Menendez Brothers, The Tonight Show: Cover Room - one each

Am I the only one who remembers when it was the other way around - so few cable networks got Emmy nominations that there was a cable-only awards show (the CableACE Awards)?

Mikeguy likes this.
  10. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    I still don't understand how Survivor doesn't get nominated for best reality series.

11. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I was happy The Americans got nominations in the major categories.

I was shocked Will & Grace did not get nominated for Best Comedy and that Sean Hayes was not nominated - he was great in the new season.

I was annoyed that Ellen Degeneres and Jane Lynch were nominated for Best Reality Competition Host.
    Game of Games and Hollywood Game Night are GAME shows for crying out loud.

How the Assassination of Gianni Versace got nominated for anything is beyond me. That was a real clunker.

I didn't think of it when I first read the nominations - but the other stand out snub for me is Mandy Moore - she was amazing this past season in This Is Us.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 3:32 PM
  12. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I was just thinking the same thing--so little scripted content there, sadly. :( Have to go to the classics TV stations to get what once was so common. Sigh.

13. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    No

It wasn't really THAT long ago when cable channels had little original programming and even less time for the original content for streaming only services

14. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Technically, shows like Survivor and The Voice are also "game shows." It just depends on the game.

Also, the Reality Host category is open to all reality shows - not just competition shows. Either that, or somebody needs to explain to me the competition format of United Shades of America.

15. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    That was my thought. Broadcast has become more and more reality shows which are scripted but cheap to produce. If I had an OTA Roamio I dont know what I would do with it other than a streamer.

16. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    I'm disappointed that The Good Place wasn't nominated in the Best Comedy category... Such a funny show!

With the glut of great TV we have these days, they really should expand the number of nominees in at least some of the categories. If the voting is currently done by simple one vote per voter, I'd change that to allow voters to vote for multiple nominees, and whomever gets the most votes wins. Can't decide between Westworld and The Americans? Vote for both!

tim1724 and Redoctobyr like this.
  17. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    To be honest, I think it's "trendy" to pick stuff from the cable and/or streaming channels. I think we are that point where they really short change OTA/Broadcast TV. There's plenty of quality there (and they've really had to up their game), but they aren't the type of edgy shows that this generation of critics seem to love. I'm not saying that this year the cable/streaming shows don't deserve to be there. I'm saying that they do shortchange braoadcast TV, especially in comedies, where I still think there are quite a few really good, family oriented comedies that should be recognized over some mediocre stuff like Barry, (which I watch, but it's NOT all that great) or GLOW, which is more drama than comedy. There's no love for shows that just make me laugh (the goal of a comedy in my opinion), like The Goldbergs, or The Middle (which has never gotten any love from The Emmys despite very well written and acted). Much like the Oscars, the Emmys have gotten snobby and trendy.

18. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Modern Family has fallen off a cliff. It won Outstanding Comedy five straight years from 2010-2014, was nominated in 2015-2017, and not even nominated this year. Was S9 any good? I'm on like episode 4. I feel like it's still one of the best produced shows on TV, but it's rarely funny.

I have a hard time thinking "comedy" when I think of Atlanta. That show is off in it's own orbit.

19. PJO1966

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    We consistently laugh out loud at Modern Family

20. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Perhaps my memory fails me, but don't show awards typically start trailing off the older a show gets? Despite the excellence of the show, we can get habituated to that. (We all can like new, shiny things.)