2017 Vintage TiVo mini never worked well

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Paul L, May 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Paul L

Paul L New Member

May 30, 2020
    I purchased a Roamio OTA 1TB and a Mini in Jan of 2017 at the local Best Buy. The Roamio has worked well in all modes - OTA, DVR, apps, although I've had to replace the fan. The Mini works well for live TV or recorded shows, but not so well for apps. Here's my config

Spectrum Coax
    ||
    Spectrum Cable Modem
    ||
    Linksys Wifi Router
    | | | |------------- Sony Smart TV----\
    | | | |
    | | |------------------ Sony BluRay------|
    | | |
    | |-----------------------TiVo Roamio OTA-/
    |
    |
    Gbit switch
    | | ------ Win 10 computer
    |
    |-------------TiVo Min----TV

Today I was watching a YouTube video that is about 1hr30mins. About 1hr into it, the image froze, and when it resumed after a minute or so, the playback was very jerky to the point of being unwatchable. It never got better. Went back to live TV, and everything is fine. No app problems with the Roamio at the same time, and speed test to the computer show 100MB download.

I've seen this before with the Mini locking up about 1hr into a YouTube. As a long-retired IT geek, it has all the appearance of a memory leak bug.

I saw in some other threads that TiVo replaced a Mini for $30 for someone when they complained of similar problems. Also threads saying the TiVo may be abandoning the Mini.

I have another TV I'd like to hook to a second Mini, but it looks like a waste of money right now. Any advice?

Thanks

2. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    You don't use apps on Minis. Get sticks.

3. Paul L

Paul L New Member

May 30, 2020
    That's probably great advice. Only thing the sticks can't do is play recorded content from the Roamio. Don't think that's worth $100+ for the Mini

4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    It all depends on one's intended use. Typically, that's the major use for a Mini.

Paul L likes this.
  5. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Yep, that's exactly what it's worth.

6. Paul L

Paul L New Member

May 30, 2020
    Another recurring problem raised its head today -- all of a sudden, none of my wired devices could connect to the local network. Restart the router. Nope. Power down/restart the cable modem then the router. Nope. Power down/restart the wired devices... nope

Pull the TiVo Mini cable out of the Gbit switch -- yep, that fixed it.

I submitted yet another case to TiVo, asking if they would replace the Mini. Not holding my breath.

7. Paul L

Paul L New Member

May 30, 2020
    Well, TiVo agreed to send me a Mini Vox for $40 - I should get it in a couple of days. Now my next challenge is selecting an HDMI to component interface, as the TV I'm hooking it to is a nearly 20 year old Sony Grand Wega which has only component inputs. This is still a great 61" HDTV, and the primary reason for getting the first Mini was so I could continue to use it (it doesn't have a digital tuner either). Any recommendations for the HDMI/component converter? Thanks

8. Paul L

Paul L New Member

May 30, 2020
    Installed the Mini Vox today with an HDMI-to-component converter. Works well, although I can't get the remote to pair in RF mode. One thing I notice is that the network interface is 1GB rather than the 100MB of the Mini 2.