2017 TV

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Thom, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Thom

Thom The Fatman's got his eye on you, kid

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.

Advertisements

Post here about 2017 TV shows...

From LA Times, Sunday January 15...

TV Shows that will debut or return, through March...

January 15

Victoria, PBS, British royal drama.

January 18
    Six, History, Military drama about Seal Team Six.

January 21
    Beaches, Lifetime, TV remake of the Bette Midler weeper.

January 23
    Beware of the Slenderman, HBO, True crime documentary.

January 24
    The New Edition Story, BET, Miniseries chronicling the Boston boy band.
    Frontline: Trump's Road to the White House, PBS, Documentary.

January 27
    Z: The Beginning of Everything, PBS, Documentary.

January 31
    The Quad, BET, College drama.

February 2
    Training Day, CBS, TV continuation of 2001 feature film cop drama of same title.

February 3
    Santa Clarita Diet, Netflix, Tim Olyphant, Drew Barrymore zombie comedy.

February 6
    APB, Fox, Police prodedural.

February 7
    Detroiters, Comedy Central, Comedy set in the world of advertising.

February 8
    Legion, FX, Marvel Comics adaptation.

February 15
    Doubt, CBS, Katherine Heigl legal procedural.

February 18
    Planet Earth II, BBS America, Nature miniseries back for second season.

February 19
    Big Little Lies, HBO, Bestseller adaptation with Nicole Kidman.
    The Good Fight, CBS All Access, Spinoff of The Good Wife.
    Crashing, HBO, Judd Apatow-produced comedy about a stand-up comedian.

February 21
    American Masters: Maya Angelou: And Still I Rise, PBS, Profile of the late poet-author.

February 27
    Taken, NBC, Prequel to Liam Neeson film trilogy.

March 1
    National Treasure, Hulu, British drama about aging comedian arrested for serial rape.

March 17
    Marvel's Iron Fist, Netflix, Superhero drama.

March 29
    Harlots, Hulu, 18th century British drama.

2. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    The last trailer I saw (~6 months ago) didn't do much for me, but 24:Legacy starts up after the Super Bowl.

On the other hand, the last trailer for the Prison Break event series (early April) looks awesome.

3. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    Just curious, why Happy Hour for this and not the general TV forum?

That out of the way, I will say that the promos for APB have me interested, but I suspect I'll bore of it fast.

I might check out 24, but don't know that I'll let myself get that involved with it.

Most of the rest of the list seems like nothing I'd care all that much about.

4. Thom

Thom The Fatman's got his eye on you, kid

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    It didn't occur to me. I'd just posted the 2017 Movies thread in Happy Hour, and I didn't think about putting the 2017 TV thread in the TV forum.

5. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx

Advertisements

Whenever I see that a show will air on one of the Big Networks, I just tune out.

6. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    They (the big nets) put out some quality programming at times, but I would certainly acknowledge that HBO, Netflix and now Amazon have it over them in spades when it comes to producing compelling content. Starz, AMC, and others aren't doing too badly either.

7. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    That's a shame. They've pretty much earned that but you are missing some good tv.

8. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    For me, the Big Networks just sanitize everything. The writing seems overly edited and cautious. At least the Cable Networks (AMC, A&E, FX, etc.) have more freedom. Take a look at Bates Motel, Fargo and of course TWD. I don't think these shows would be the same on ABC, CBS, NBC.

9. KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    Emerald City premiered on NBC last week, on Jan.6th so the L.A.Times list missed it. Limited-run series of only 10 hours, but I've enjoyed the first 3 hours so far.

10. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    That is what is called a self-fulfilling prophecy. You will feel that way even if not true. Nor does it mean the programming isn't as good. Or as bad.

As I said, it's a shame. Outside factors are affecting your potential enjoyment of a program.

11. alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Sunny SoCal
    i actually have really enjoyed some of the recent shows-
    Victoria (pbs), Sneaky Pete(amazon), Unfortunate Events (Netflix), taboo (fx), Emerald City (NBC) to name a few

12. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Looks like Iron Fist and probably Legion for me even though I have no idea what it's about. It's Marvel so I'll give it a shot.

13. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    It's an X-men show.

14. jr461

jr461 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Northern NJ
    Recorded the first Victoria and looking forward to watching that.

Started Sneaky Pete (1st episode) and will stay with it. I like the cast and the story seems to be developing at a good pace.

Not really interested in the other shows in the OP.

And while I'll agree that cable channels and streaming services have grabbed me more than the big networks, they do still have some entertaining programming. Yes, they have time constraints and do need to be sanitized which would preclude them from airing shows on other mediums as they are, but that doesn't take away from those shows that are quality, such as This Is Us, or just entertaining (to me, anyway) like Timeless and Designated Survivor.

Cable and streaming services (and the UK for that matter) all have much shorter seasons, latitude to go where the FCC prohibits the networks, and often with longer individual episodes, all leading to improved story and character development.

15. alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Sunny SoCal
    I do a blog post on upcoming for the week. It's focused on Sci-Fi/pop culture shows but i do highlight all the new shows. For example this week i featured Six, the history chanel's dramatic rendition of Seal team 6's 2014 mission. I also featured Victoria on PBS and Netflix's The Frontier with Jason Momoa, it focuses on trappers in the fight for control over the fur trade in the 18th century. Week in TV: 1/15 Queen Victoria, Voltron, War & Fur
    I post every sunday at noon et.

astrohip and TIVO_GUY_HERE like this.
  16. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
  17. alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Sunny SoCal
    January continues to impress with a couple of new entries this week, the anticipated Riverdale on The CW and the reality show Hunted on CBS. Riverdale has an air of a mature teen crime drama done right and is getting positive early reviews. Hunted (based on UK series of the same name) is a reality-based competition where the contestants are fugitives who attempt to evade capture for a cash prize. It feels like a cross of The Amazing Race and the SWAT Team, it could be interesting if you have ever thought about bugging out.

The premieres last week were a mixed bag, we strongly encourage you give PBS’s Victoria a try. The other historical drama, The Frontier sneaks up on the watcher & demands full attention when Jason Momoa takes center stage. If learning history and strong characters are of interest- watch this show. Six is almost good, certainly good enough for another episode or two. Timeless’s winter premiere was a great start and the stories keep getting better.

The “Hero Channel” aka The CW is bring back their full heroic series team this week including Arrow, Supergirl, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, and Supernatural. On the SyFy channel this week be on the look out for The Magicians, back for Season 2, and Face Off, back for Season 11. If you have not seen The Magicians yet you can catch up on Season 1 currently available on Netflix. The Shondaland lineup of Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, and How to Get Away With Murder along with Quantico return this week and will be the highlight for ABC.
    Week in TV: 1/22 Magicians, Face Off & The CW Returns in a Big way