2011 Emmy Nominations

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by That Don Guy, Jul 14, 2011.

1. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Lots of love for Modern Family this year, especially in the acting categories - and, from the looks of it, mostly at the expense of Glee, which got only two non-guest nominations (Chris Colfer and Jane Lynch - and even in guest, Mike O'Malley was conspicuously absent).

Speaking of acting, as usual, House is "Hugh Laurie and a bunch of people in the background" as far as Emmys are concerned. However, "not as usual," not only did So You Think You Can Dance? get nominated for Reality-Competition Program, but Cat Deeley got nominated for Reality Host.

And speaking of Glee snubs, they go out of their way to include original songs, and none of them get nominated, while Saturday Night Live gets three (it didn't hurt that two of them were co-written by Justin Timberlake). Also, Family Guy got a "music & lyrics" (original song) nod for a song from "Road to the North Pole", but not the one people expected (which leads me to believe that "All I Really Want For Christmas This Year" probably wasn't eligible as a slightly different version was released on CD about 10 years ago).

2. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Yay Cat Deelery finally being recognized for the awesome job she does hosting So You Think You Can Dance. She looks after those contestants and makes terrible moments tolerable for them.
    About time she got a nod.

3. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm happy because my favorite shows all made the cut: Friday Night Lights, Mad Men, Parks and Rec and the Good Wife in particular.

But I can't believe the entire cast of Modern Family gets nominated in the supporting actor in a comedy category, but there is no room for Nick Offerman. Boo.

4. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    It sucks that Khandi Alexander's great performance on Treme wasn't nominated in the supporting actress category.

5. Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Community is snubbed yet again, Modern Family is overpraised. Johnny Galecki, why? The Killing, seriously? No Offerman, lack of FX comedies, etc.

At least Peter Dinklage and Parks and Rec got a nod.

6. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    I am pulling for Coach and Tami Taylor to win this year!

7. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I was most excited by the Friday Night Lights nominations and also Timothy Olyphant for Justified.

(and I am always rooting for Michael C Hall - but his nomination was expected.)

I was bummed that Katey Segal got dissed again.

I really don't understand why Mariska Hargitay keeps getting nominated.
    SVU usually does one episode for her for Emmy purposes and the rest of the time she's barely a lead character anymore. I don't get it.

8. fmowry

fmowry Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    4 misses in Lead Comedy Actor nominations.

9. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    Worst snub of the day, by far!

10. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    This. I would actually shed a tear if Coach and Mrs. Coach somehow improbably swept the drama acting awards. And if FNL were to win for best drama? I would actually cry. :)

11. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    Ron Effing Swanson not getting a nom is the worst snub. Not even close. How you nominate P&R and Poehler, but not Offerman, is beyond me. Those two *make* that show.

I'm also bummed that Community didn't get a nom, but that's a little more understandable.

12. Snappa77

Snappa77 RUDEBWOY

Feb 14, 2004
    BOSTON
    Justified has 3/4 noms for acting but a snub on best drama. wow.

13. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    I think I figured out the reason for Offerman's snub:

Too many TV actors are into salads and sharing.

14. balboa dave

balboa dave well rounded

Jan 19, 2004
    Newport...
    Here's something to make you feel a little better. :D

On the barely covered safe edge of NSFW.
    [​IMG]

15. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    I'll be the dissenting voice. Community is terribly overrated. It completely lost me this year about half way through. And I watch almost every sitcom on TV.

Modern Family is a ground breaking show. It deserves everything it gets.

It's good to see Parks and Rec get a nod for this season. They've gone from a hum-drum, so-so show to fabulous this season. I hope they take it.

And yes, "Ron Swanson" probably deserved a nod. He's fantastic.

I will add, sentimentally, I would have liked to see Betty White with a Best Supporting nod. That's a great show, but she takes it over the top to fantastic.

16. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Not when Glee did get one. Not because Glee isn't a comedy (although it often isn't), but because it was not one of the five best shows in the comedy category this year. I know of no one that thought it was a strong season overall for Glee.

17. Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Agreed. I might have sounded a little off on Modern Family, but really, the most overrated in that bunch is Glee...and Big Bang Theory.

As to Ron Swanson, I think Amy can best some up our feelings.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-a...and-recreations-outstanding-comedy-nomination

18. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Is anyone shocked that Matt Leblanc was nominated? I went from HATING his show to LOVING it. However, it would be a much better show if he wasn't on it. Everything about it is great except for him. He kinda brings it all down.

Also, for anyone wondering why the greatest show on television wasn't nominated (Breaking Bad). It's because it didn't air during whatever period these nominations are for. I am certain Bryan Cranston will be getting his 4th consecutive award next year.

19. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I would also argue that Community is much more ground-breaking than Modern Family. They are both very good but Modern Family is much more standard faire then Community which essentially takes the same characters and puts them in completely different scenarios/backstories every week.

I will say this if Parks and Rec does not win for Best Comedy this year it will be upsetting. Their past season was flawless. That almost never happens for a sitcom. Every episode rang true and the entire season was magnificent from end to end. I do not think any other comedy was in the same league as them this year.

The problem is they award the emmy based on a single episode which seems dumb to me.

20. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...