2007 Death Pool

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Vito the TiVo, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Vito the TiVo

Vito the TiVo Rockin' the Suburbs

Oct 27, 2003
    Valencia,...

Advertisements

Pick your list of five shows to be killed by the end of the 2007 season with an extra slot for your first cancelled. Winner gets bragging rights. Extra points to whoever gets their list killed first. Include your reasoning in parentheses if you like...

MY DEATH POOL - TO DIE BEFORE THE END OF THE SEASON

1. Bionic Woman (overhyped and overboring and overexpensive)
    2. Pushing Daisies (too good and expensive to survive)
    3. Viva Laughlin (it's a musical - 'nuff said)
    4. Big Shots (Sex in the City for men - no way)
    5. Cavemen (pilot's not as bad as one would think, but this lasts the season tops)

***1st to Die: Bionic Woman (see above)

2. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Yes it is.

1. Cavemen
    2. Aliens in America
    3. Kid Nation (will go to the web about four eps in, I think)
    4. Viva Laughlin
    5. Carpoolers

3. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Sorry, can't narrow it down to five, even if I try to ignore reality garbage.

Big Shots
    Cavemen
    Nashville
    K-Ville
    Cane
    Carpoolers
    Gossip Girl
    Viva Laughlin

Trifecta: Nashville, then Big Shots, then Cavemen... because that's the order they premiere. Though I'm almost willing to put money on Cavemen disappearing before the first episode airs... or maybe it'll become the first network show yanked and canceled during its first airing. :)

4. anom

anom Enlightened

Apr 18, 2005
    I think Kid Nation is going to be huge. I also think everyone is dead on about Viva Laughlin. I'm sort of looking forward to it, but it has quick death written all over it.

5. Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy

Advertisements

Sarah Conner Chronicles. Summer Glau isn't reason enough to keep it going.

Cavemen: Likely destined to be as memorable as the The California Raisins

6. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    Knowing the way decisions are made and the general viewing public, Cavemen will run 10 seasons. :rolleyes:

7. headroll

headroll Let em' Roll

Jan 20, 2003
    Long...
    And will spin off two shows "CaveKids" and "Desperate CaveWives"

-Roll

8. johnspalm

johnspalm New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    KidNation will be too controversial to survive. It's on the death list.

9. barbeedoll

barbeedoll New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    Funny thought you have about a show being cancelled while airing. It conjured up visions of watching a show and then after the first commercial it just never comes back. The last 15 20 minutes would just be back to back commercials. Soon the networks would greenlight shows that only taped 15 minutes as a great way to get around current restrictions about how many commercials can usually air.

I'd add Moonlight to the early cancellation lists.

Barbeedoll

10. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    I know exactly what shows will get cancelled. All the ones I'm looking forward to.

Which is why I'm not posting my list ;)

11. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    cavemen can't possibly last the whole season. It gets my vote.

I'm looking forward to K'ville. I like everything Anthony Anderson does. I'm pretty sure the FOX Grim Reaper is sharpening his scythe, though.

12. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Active Member

Dec 26, 2000
    kids trying, learning growing, experiencing > mostly media manufactured story.

13. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    I thought Reaper was on the CW. :D

It would be a delicious piece of irony if Reaper was on FOX and got the traditional two episode ax. Well, ironic in an Alanis Morrisette way.

14. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Big Shots
    Cavemen
    Viva Laughlin

. . . seem like sure bets for cancellation. I have yet to hear one good thing about Big Shots (and tons of "it's horrible"), despite the appealing cast (Michael Vartan, yum).

I'm reserving judgment on Bionic Woman and Pushing Daisies. BW is going to get a lot of curiosity at first, so it may do okay, and everybody who has seen PD is raving about it. Which of course means it's doomed, but you never know what will catch on.

15. Marco

Marco Loyal Little TCF Club

Sep 19, 2000
    Capital of...
    FYP ;)

16. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Aliens in America, Kid Nation, Cavemen, and Viva Laughlin are on my list (not necessarily in that order).

Some might have considered the pilot for Bionic Woman boring, but at least it wasn't BAD like some of these are. Pushing Daisies will get axed, but it won't be right away. It'll probably end up like Wonderfalls, making it to 13 episodes but it won't get the Back Nine.

As for Big Shots - I have a feeling ABC is going to be stubborn on this one: they're going to slide this thing around 10 times then put it on hiatus at least 2 times before finally giving in.

17. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    1. Cavemen (somebody is going to realize it's a one-joke bit that got taken too far; sort of if Fox tried to make a half-hour Itchy & Scratchy Show series)
    2. New Amsterdam (it may even join the Fox Hall of Unaired Shame, along with Rewind, Septuplets, and The Ortegas)
    3. Carpoolers
    4. Moonlight
    5. Viva Laughlin
    First off: Cavemen

New series hit of the year: Back to You (face it, Kelsey Grammer can do no wrong, especially when he's typecast)
    Filthy Rich award for the summer hit that gets cancelled: The Singing Bee
    Most-asked question: "Where have I seen that girl playing (Patricia Heaton's, on Back to You) daughter before?" (Answer: that's Laura from the early episodes of Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?)
    (Speaking of which, the "new class" debuts October 4, according to TV Guide.)

-- Don

18. edc

edc Active Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Houston
    That apparently happened in Australia, and in parts of the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_shows_canceled_after_one_episode

Australia's Naughtiest Home Videos
    1992 comedy series spun off from Australia's Funniest Home Video Show, hosted by Doug Mulray. This show was actually cancelled during its first episode when then-Nine Network owner Kerry Packer reportedly called the station and personally ordered them to "Get that s**t off the air."[citation needed] After the plug was pulled, they went to a commercial break, and two re-runs of Cheers or Married With Children (depending on the source) were aired instead. It is understood that Packer was alerted to the program by several of his personal friends at a dinner.

[...]

Turn-On
    1969 poorly-received derivative of Laugh-In which aired on ABC. Although not the first series to be immediately cancelled, Turn-On is generally considered the best-known example. It's considered one of the most notorious flops in television history. Some local markets cancelled the show midway through the broadcast, but the story that it was yanked midway through its first episode nationwide is untrue. After the first show, the sponsor (Bristol-Myers) cancelled. The show was viewed by many as being an example of straightforward poor taste.[citation needed]

19. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    I think "Kid Nation" will be entirely predictable. The "kids" will simply repackage and spout adult ideals and pretty much say and do whatever they think the producers want them to do. Just a guess, but I have a bad feeling this is going to be about as interesting as... well... watching other people's kids... Nuff said. It's a goner for sure. IMO of course. :p

20. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    In no particular order

Cavemen
    Nashville (has a very bad time slot)
    Reaper
    Viva Laughlin
    Life is Wild
    Carpoolers
    Women's Murder Club/Cashmere Mafia/Lipstick Jungle (I see only one of these shows surviving, the only thing that gives them all a chance is that they are airing months apart from each other)

Possibles

Kid Nation
    K-Ville
    Life
    Moonlight
    Aliens in America

Edited to Add: All of these shows are being recorded on my tivo's, but I seriously doubt that I watch any of them until I'm sure they don't get the axe and see how the reviews of these shows turn out.