2006 MTV Movie Awards

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MickeS, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Jun 9, 2006 #1 of 15
    MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002

Advertisements

No thread? I thought it was pretty dull this year, I guess everyone else thought so too... :)

Jessica Alba was horrible in the skits. Man, she is not a good actress... but she sure is pretty.

The presenters were game, but nothing "out there". Didn't feel that different from the Oscars!

The winners were too serious when accepting the awards. Steve Carell was good though, as usual.

Will Ferrell and whoever that other guy was were not funny. Painfully unfunny actually. Not good advertising for this Ricky Bobby movie.

No outlandish dresses or dance numbers this year. Like I said... pretty dull.

2. Jun 9, 2006 #2 of 15
    DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    I'm sorry I watched it. Thankfully, the TiVo helped me get through it quickly.

3. Jun 9, 2006 #3 of 15
    flyers088

flyers088 tcf junior member

Apr 18, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Dear MTV

Can I get back the night of Thursday June 8. My life was the worse for having to watch that crap. Thanks for wasting valuable time in my life.

Burn in hell MTV!!

4. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I've recorded it but haven't watched it yet. I used to love the MTVMA, but the last couple years, it's mostly been just stars plugging their upcoming projects and the kids in the audience showing viewing America that "WOOOOOOOOO!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" is the 21st century way of applause.

5. hanumang

hanumang Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA

Advertisements

The parodies went on way too long.

It's a shame though, this used to be the awards show to watch.

6. mtnagel

mtnagel Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Loved Steve Carell's speech. That was hilarious.

I thought the music was good too.

7. tubsone

tubsone What?!?!??!

Apr 15, 2006
    L.A.
    Yeah it was pretty bad! Jessica Alba and X-Tina where the only highlights of the night!

8. mtnagel

Nov 15, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I liked AFI except for the freaky lead singer. But the song is catchy as hell.

9. Meathead

Meathead LSU Tiger!

Feb 19, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I long since abandoned the whole MTV franchise. But once a year, I tune in for the movie awards. Well, this year blew hard. I think a big part of it was because they taped it on a Sunday, edited it, and then ran it on Thursday. If there was anything that was going to be truly shocking, it would have likely hit the cutting room floor.

I understand the desire to keep the FCC off your back, and MTV is a target rich environment, but in the end, it is pay cable. There is not really a lot that the FCC could do to them. They should go back to doing the show live or with a 5 second delay. The talent would be a lot more willing to do something shocking (Tatu's uber lesbo music performance) or stupid (George Bush hates black people) if they thought it would go out to the nation instantly.

10. hanumang

hanumang Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The Movie Awards have never aired live.

11. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Yeah, it's always been the same, taped on Sunday, aired on Thursday. I think it's a good idea, doesn't bloat the broadcast so much. Of course, this one could've been done in about 15 minutes. :)

12. darthrsg

darthrsg New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    post 911...
    MTV=waste of electricity.

13. tubsone

tubsone What?!?!??!

Apr 15, 2006
    L.A.

Hey watch it there buddy...Don't be talking about my MTV that way! How else am I suppose to re-live my High School days :D !

14. mtnagel

Nov 15, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Then how do they not know when it will end? It was set for 2 hours and it went over 2:15. Luckily I had set it go longer, but I think it cut off a bit.

15. quarkman97

quarkman97 All mobbed up!

Nov 17, 2002
    Brewcity, WI
    Yeah I think I am finally phasing out of MTV completely at age 27.

The movie awards themselves were pretty funny. I agree the sketches went on too long. Especially the MI:3 one. The Da Vinci Code one was funny though.

I wholeheartedly disagree with the OP that Will Ferrell wasn't funny. I didn't even know about their new movie and thought they just showed up in NASCAR suits for the heck of it. Either way, to see Will Ferrell in one of those jumpsuits was worth it.

Plus the intro for the award for Jim Carrey was good.

Dunno, I'm all in on Will Ferrell, so I'm pretty biased.

Other than that, not much else to write home about.