20.7.4.RC2 Squanders my Buffer?!

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by kpeters59, Oct 26, 2017.

1. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    One of the things that has ALWAYS been a major feature of TiVo is the way it was always considerate of my Live TV buffer.

In the past, you could watch behind live TV and if a recording started, the buffer would just continue to play out.

This was EXACTLY how it should behave and how NO OTHER DVR ever behaved. (Maybe MCE?) It was a MAJOR FEATURE.

Now, that's gone.

I'm STUNNED.

Now, if I'm behind live, which I ALWAYS am, I need to be aware that a recording is about to begin and pretty much record the show I'm just watching. Which wastes my recording space, my time and my patience.

Why the heck would TiVo do that? It's way worse than the FF jump ahead bug.

I'm very sad.

Anybody else?

-Kyle

philco782, PCurry57 and apsarkis like this.
  2. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
  3. samccfl99

samccfl99 I Am Sometimes Vocal

Sep 7, 2013
    coconut...
    Because they are idiot hacks??? Yes, they have done this before a long while back and fixed it and now screwed it up again. Hopefully they will fix this before they give up on Gen3. Hey, it only took them 2 months to fix 20.7.2 regarding the QM bug...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

apsarkis and kpeters59 like this.
  4. blacknoi

blacknoi Member

Jan 23, 2006
    I thought I was doing something different. I noticed this same behavior and its NOT welcome at all :(

I record all the local news casts and say if I start watching the 5pm newscast at 545 from the beginning, pulling directly from the live tuner recording. Previously once 6pm came along, I'd see the info bar pop up at the bottom briefly and then disappear. But my watched 5-6pm newscast would continue to play undisturbed. Then once I hit 6pm, my Tivo would continue playing directly into the 6pm hour from the beginning.

Now once 6pm hits, if I started from the live buffer, I lose where I'm at and am immediately ejected into live tv, watching the 6pm newscast.

I acknowledge if I started my 5pm newscast from "my shows" it would play the full recording and end. But I liked the fact that if I did it the old way from live tv, it'd continue to play live tv, just going into the next program when the next timeslot hit.

I hope they restore this feature (haven't tried Hydra yet so I have no idea how it behaves in this scenario).

apsarkis, kpeters59 and NorthAlabama like this.
  5. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    I'm in agreement with this as a major issue... I do exactly the same, watch the local news and record the network evening news till. Losing the rest of the local news as Network news starts to record is a bad bug. Please fix this immediately.

apsarkis likes this.
  6. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    It's actually worse than that, because the issue compounds all night long.

Now, where I used to watch the entire evening up to 59 minutes behind live without interruption, every show scheduled is rudely and abruptly cut off.

It's horrible. Have the engineers NEVER used a TiVo?

-KP

sea7kenp, CopRock and apsarkis like this.
  7. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    My guess is they use a TiVo all the time in a lab environment. I truly hope this is a bug and is fixed ASAP.

CopRock and apsarkis like this.
  8. TonyBlunt

TonyBlunt Member

Jan 27, 2014
    This does not seem to be the "normal" way to use a Tivo. I record programs, including the news, and if I want to watch the program while it is still recording I start watching the recording. No problem. It seems wrong to be using the tuner buffer, although I suppose it should work. I do not see why Tivo should ever need to dump the buffer to start a new one, which is what I believe you are claiming happens.

9. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks for the input?

Besides, they fixed it in RC18.

-KP