1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

20.6.3.RC7 system update: mini disconnects only on liveTV

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by el-such-n-such, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Dec 3, 2016 #1 of 25
    el-such-n-such

el-such-n-such New Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Chicago Area
    Problem: Mini -> Roamio OTA, error V87 disconnects *only* on liveTV
    Error occurs with an intermittent frequency between approx 2-20 minutes

Recorded shows work.
    Streaming apps work.
    Happens when no shows are being recorded, or not.
    Work fine until less than 2 weeks ago, setup was installed almost 20 months ago without changes.

Looks like Roamio DVR was updated on 11/19/2016 with 20.6.3.RC7, not sure when the Mini was updated.

No network related issues, and I have verified that replacing the current network devices has *no* effect. I originally thought something with my antenna signal was degraded, but I have ruled that out. I have verify that signal strength with Roamio DVR is not dropping out. If this was the issue, I'd get a "loss of signal type error".

Looking at the network captures (using wireshark) between these devices, it looks like the *mini* is sending a TCP FIN/ACK packet to the Roamio to close the stream? But I confess, that I haven't looked at these network streams before today, so I may not be looking at the data correctly.
    I see good ICMP echo/echo-reply messages between these devices throughout the liveTV session.

I have verified that both devices pass connection tests, and *all* Tivo and *all* network equipment has been restarted multiple times. I have powered down everything connected to my network to rule-out a misbehaving device that could be causing issues for this, but recorded content is NOT affected.

My Roamio was a warranty exchange in early 3/2015, and I have experienced issues with Netflix only, when the DVR is almost out of disk space, and Tivo Suggestions were enabled. Clearing disk space + disabling suggestions (and/or system update in 2015) appeared to resolve that issue.

I see others on the Mini forums talking about tuner reservations. Perhaps my issue is related to tuners, but the opposite? The DVR is not reserving a tuner for the Mini exclusively?

Pointers/suggestions are welcomed.

Corran Horn likes this.
  2. Dec 3, 2016 #2 of 25
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Some ideas. First, the host does not reserve a tuner for the Mini. It does reserve a tuner for the host. There are two things to observe. Hit Info, then down. You now see three tuners. If a Mini is using one it will be so noted. The order is meaningless. Next is Settings & Messages, Account & System Info, TiVo box Diagnostics. You have screens that show all four tuners. The channel number is displayed. If you were on cable I know that "Time since Tune Start" is how long that tuner has been on that channel. I hope OTA has something like that. The value is in seconds.

Perhaps armed with more information you can narrow down the problem. I have never heard of this problem aside from network issues. If you hit the TiVo button on a Mini's remote, it releases the tuner. Or you can wait four hours. :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  3. Dec 3, 2016 #3 of 25
    el-such-n-such

el-such-n-such New Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Chicago Area
    Thank you for the reply, and the clarification on reserving tuners.

On the Roamio, I do see a tuner taken by the Mini, when using "Info | V".

On the "Tivo box Diagnostics", looking at the tuners, I don't see anything that looks out of place, either.

I'm watching multicast traffic now to see if there is anything obvious going on there.
    I saw these other posts that sound like they are the opposite of what I'm experiencing:
    - recordings do NOT work
    - liveTV does work

So I'm on the lookout for IGMP related issues...
    This appears to be the most likely issue. I'm looking for "smart switch" config utilities that will enable/disable IGMP snooping...

4. Dec 5, 2016 #4 of 25
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I just tested four Mini boxes that received the 20.6.3 update. Observation:
    Guide needs to be set to remove left column, unless you like it.
    One Mini is v1, others are v2
    One v2 is connected to TV that supports DD. This one has a pop noise when leaving live video (switching in/out of DD). I also lost audio once when I brought it out of Standby. It needed a restart to get the audio back
    The other Mini boxes are connected to TV sets without DD ability and have no audio problems.

5. Dec 6, 2016 #5 of 25
    dbodner

dbodner New Member

Apr 17, 2011
    FWIW I'm having the exact same problems. Live TV will stream to my mini's fine for about 30 seconds, then give a V70 error. Apps stream fine. Browser streams fine. Recorded shows stream fine. Absolutely nothing has changed in my network setup and these Roamio -> mini setup has never experienced anything like this in the last 2 years, then started happening immediately after 20.6.3.

6. Dec 8, 2016 #6 of 25
    thompsr2

thompsr2 New Member

Oct 21, 2015
    I am also experiencing a similar problem. Twice since the update rolled out, I have been watching live TV on my Mini when I get an error message stating that the connection to the host DVR was lost. Both instances occurred after watching TV on the mini for probably at least an hour I'd say. However, in both instances, I was immediately able to select 'Watch live TV' and the problem did not come back for the remaining duration of my TV watching.

7. Dec 8, 2016 #7 of 25
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm not putting blame on this change: 20.6.3 but it is something to watch. A Mini has always had a hard time adjusting to a change in the IP address of the host. On occasion I have pulled the plug on my Roamio's bridge, causing it to move to wireless. A Mini fails to work if the host is wireless. After reconnection of the bridge, and the move back to the original IP address, the Mini still refuses to work on the host even though it appears in the list of hosts. I have two Roamio boxes, and can use the other Roamio or just power cycle the Mini. I'm not saying this is your problem, but something to file for future reference.

8. Darkwing10

Darkwing10 New Member

Jun 4, 2016
    I just connected my Tivo with Cox cable today. I am experiencing the same issue. I am unable to watch live tv on the mini fir more than 30 seconds. I am using a Bolt. It states error 87

9. CybrFyre

CybrFyre Member

Mar 25, 2008
    suddenly seeing something similar. Live live seems fine. Recordings fine. Within 30 min pause bfr, V87 cnnct lost within about 1 min of hitting play. FF or 30 sec skip also triggers V87. 20.6.3RC7 on Mini.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

10. mntvjunkie

mntvjunkie Member

May 12, 2009
    I have been having the same problem for a few weeks now, which is disappointing because it means I can no longer watch Comcast On Demand from the Mini either. If I watch a live show, it disconnects within minutes, but if I start recording that live show and give it even 10 seconds, the recording plays fine.

I have a static IP assigned to both the Tivo and the Mini, and I also have a very high end router. (In addition, both the Mini and the Tivo are hard wired).

11. CybrFyre

CybrFyre Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Found the logs & the Mini is complaining about not being able to send 64 bytes in 15 seconds. Hmm.

12. ferreter

ferreter Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Reston, VA
    My sister has the same issue. She connected her Mini to her Roamio Pro via Moca and when she tries to watch live TV it works for about 30 seconds and she gets an error that says something like "Your network has a problem". She can watch recorded shows on her Mini just fine. Is there any solution to this?

13. DerekSF

DerekSF New Member

May 16, 2013
    I'm having similar problems. I have 2 Tivo Mini's connected to a Premier XL4, using gigabit ethernet, high end Asus router. Been working fine for 3 years, no changes on my end. Last few days been getting random disconnects, and C421 and C422 errors, when I can't access my shows live streaming usually still works.

I noticed the XL4 in my living room has restarted on its own in the morning the last 2 days, and Amazon App looked quite different and sure enough RC7. I'm pretty sure RC7 is the issue. RC stands for Release Candidate, usually your final beta builds for testing and not something released to a general audience. I did sign up for an earlier release years ago, anyone know how to get off that list? At this point I'd rather have stability then the latest features.

14. CybrFyre

CybrFyre Member

Mar 25, 2008
    the RC thing makes no sense as I have never signed up for beta or early release sw. All of my units have RC7.

15. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    All TiVo boxes for the last two years have RC in their software versions. Didn't you know it stands for Really Cool? :cool:

CybrFyre likes this.
  16. pbakers

pbakers Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Richmond, Tx
    How do you access logs on a mini or roamio plus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. CybrFyre

CybrFyre Member

Mar 25, 2008
    system info screen. clear-clear-enter-enter-0 .

18. ferreter

ferreter Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Reston, VA
    So my sister's issue got resolved. She was connecting her Roamio Pro to her router via Wifi. I switched her to Moca (Verizon FIOS) and followed these steps from another forum:

"To start you would unplug the mini from power. Leave it disconnected for now. On the Roamio go from TiVo Central>Apps and Games. We're looking for the allow/disable home network applications option. It should be allowed so if it says "allow home network applications" go ahead and do so, if it says "disable home network applications" go ahead and disallow then reallow the network applications. Once that is done force a connection to TiVo service by going from TiVo Central>Settings and Messages>Settings>Network>Connect to TiVo Service Now. Restart the mini after that and we'll check for this issue again."

All is well now.

krkaufman likes this.
  19. alexb

alexb Active Member TCF Club

Jan 4, 2003
    Kirkland, WA
    Tested both my minis with live, working perfectly.

20. Jay2tak

Jay2tak Member

Jun 10, 2009
    I have a Roamio Pro and a Premiere XL4, Have no problem using XL4 as host, however using the pro it freezes on live TV.