20.5.6.rc21

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Jay2tak, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Jay2tak

Jay2tak Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Does anyone know what was changed in 20.5.6.RC21 update from 20.5.6.RC14 that was pushed to my XL4 last night?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I hope that Margret posts a list of changes soon.

3. jim1971

jim1971 Member

Oct 11, 2015
    'RC' generally means 'release candidate'. This is one step past beta but not yet ready for prime time.

If 'RC' means release candidate, in my my mind, you just got bug fixes over the release candidate previously installed.

Tivo is waiting for someone to complain about something, assuming RC means 'release candidate'. If nobody gripes about anything, the RC will be removed from the next release.

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm starting to believe TiVo is getting kickbacks from RC Cola. :D

Everybody using anything series 4 or higher is using an "RC". Maybe it means Really Cool? :D

5. jim1971

jim1971 Member

Oct 11, 2015
    4 tuner premiere 20.5.2a-01-2-750

Really want the guide logos but not enough to be a bug tester.

Also, some programmers from my past were lazy and their 'test' library (AS/400) became production. The new test library was named something else, like test2. You were just supposed to know that if you came in for temp or consulting work. Today, 'change management software' and quality control management are supposed to replace the cowboy approach. FYI.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  6. watstein

watstein New Member

Feb 17, 2005
    I called TiVo today since my premiere for 20.5.6rc21 and my premiere xl4 is still on 20.5.2 and wanted to know why I cannot get the update. They had issues with 20.5.6 on the premieres so they stopped updating they said and in February the will release a new version and update everything I was told.

7. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    An attempt for some bug fixes, HDMI and Netflix I think that a few have experienced.

8. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    only premieres? there's the biggest understatement of 2016 to date, check the forums, the pain from this update was spread across all platforms.

9. cblguy76

cblguy76 New Member

Jul 10, 2012
    How do I get these updates? I am in the Tivo Field trials but not getting any of the updates.

10. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i would try a pm to tivosupport_sarah.

11. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    If you are in the field trials, why are you not using that website and forum? That would be the best place to ask.

12. cblguy76

cblguy76 New Member

Jul 10, 2012
    When I go to the support trials website it just tells me that I am not enrolled in any projects and there is no access to anything.

13. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    You should probably email Michaela Logan (or whoever is doing it now) and see what the deal is. When you are put into the field trials your Tivo is connected to a completely different server than us regular people, and usually you get weekly software updates. None of us on this website would have any info as to why its showing that you are not enrolled. When you enrolled in the field trials they wouldve given you all that contact information.

14. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    If you haven't already, make sure whichever Tivo(s) you would like to volunteer for fieldtrials is added into the list of platforms. After that it's a waiting game, not instant. If they need testers you'll get an invitation.

Fieldtrials are a minor commitment, not just early access to software. You'll be expected to perform tasks on a schedule, report bugs in detail, and provide general feedback.

15. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Recently got this update and long as it doesn't break the basic ability to record, transfer and/or stream recorded material, I'm happy.

16. marinrain

marinrain New Member

Oct 30, 2001
    Corte...
    Seems to me this release LOST some things...when I am looking at My Shows it reverted to my old Series 2 and no longer see/hear what I am watching!##$@ why????
    and when looking at what is on the different tuners (I have 4) I have to cycle through - thought I used to be able to go directly to a given channel (like I can on my Roamio)??

HD menus fixed it - thanks

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  17. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Go to settings and change back to HD menus.

18. MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...

Thank You...it worked for me. Not sure why they would change it!

19. stresstool

stresstool New Member

Jan 17, 2008
    San Jose, Ca
    This release broke a couple of more notable things on my machine (XL4):

The TV guide now is fuzzy. I can barely read it. Yesterday all the text was crisp and clear. The main TiVo menu has crisp text, just the guide and the video in the box isn't sharp anymore either. Yes, I have HD menus enabled. The TV is a 1920x1080 55" Panasonic.

When I switch from watching video to bring up any menu or to switch from viewing any menu back to either live TV or to a recording, the TV goes black for about 5 seconds and reports "No input" then the picture comes back. It didn't do this before this update.

As an aside, or in case it makes any difference, for the last 4 years I have the TV hooked up to the TiVo via component cables. The HDMI interface just sucks and is totally and unbelievably unreliable. I can't tell the difference in picture quality between HDMI and component and, until today, component video has been very dependable.

Any tips? Can I revert to the previous working version of software? If so, how do I do that? Can I disable automatic updates?

20. joewom

joewom Member

Dec 10, 2013
    restart the TIVO. Mine did this and after my wife rubbing her eyes thinking it was her I came in and restarted it and the menus and guide are clear.

I have not had issues with HDMI.