20.4.6 Release Notes

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by TiVoMargret, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Jan 28, 2015 #1 of 1154
    TiVoMargret

TiVoMargret VP Product Dev & Chief Design Officer, TiVo

Feb 2, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    We have just authorized the first 2,000 TiVo Roamio and TiVo Mini customers from the priority list (http://tivo.com/priority) to receive the 20.4.6 software update. Additional groups of customers (including TiVo Premiere signups) will be updated AFTER the Superbowl. (So, if you don’t get it today, you will get it next week.)

The big news this release is that OnePass replaces Season Pass, and puts links to streaming videos into My Shows so you can watch every episode -- recorded or not. I previously posted detailed information about OnePass functionality here:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=10363391#post10363391

I know some people are worried about the change that prohibits getting more than one OnePass for a show. Continuing to allow this added a lot of complication as we made the changes to support streaming video options. OnePass will let you record on “all channels” or one specific channel. If you were using two Season Passes so that you could have different recording options on different channels, here are some things you might consider:

1. Get the OnePass for All Channels, and either mark the important episodes “Keep Until I Delete” after they record, or delete the ones you don’t care about.

2. Get the OnePass for the channel you really care about. Turn Suggestions On, and give the show 3 thumbs up. Any episodes that record on other channels (as Suggestions) will show up in your OnePass folder. You can watch the episodes, mark them “keep longer”, or let them come and go as disk space is needed.

Here are some other changes in the release:

- Ability to add a link to a streaming movie and have it appear in the “Streaming Movies” folder in My Shows

- Updated Amazon Instant Video app (with Amazon Prime) will be available on TiVo Premiere boxes

- If you are running the 3.5 version of the TiVo app for iOS, you will be able to “move” shows that were recorded on your DVR from copy-protected channels. (Once the download has been completed, the original recording will be deleted from your DVR. Downloads must be initiated while on your home network.)

- New “Power Saving” options for TiVo Roamio boxes (Settings > Devices). There are multiple options available. For the biggest power savings the box will wake up for user-scheduled recordings, and will only record suggestions during the “awake” period. For somewhat less power savings the box will wake up to record suggestions.

- Three additional screens are now available in “HD Menus” style: “Set Up a Manual Recording”, “Find by Time”, and “Find by Channel”. They are located under TiVo Central > Manage Recordings & OnePass.

- Amazon Instant Video now appears alongside other apps in My Shows

- Fixed the issue where some Mini customers would see a V87 error when they tried to watch an episode that was still recording on the DVR

- Fixed an issue where some customers would see a blue spinning circle when trying to create or update a Season Pass (now OnePass)

- Fixed an issue where duplicate recordings were happening when a user deleted a single episode from a Season Pass (now OnePass) and created a manual recording instead

- Fixed a problem where modifying a Season Pass in SD menus would set it to record on “all channels"

For those not on the priority list, I expect the full rollout to be complete by the end of February.

Up Next: Our 2015 Spring release will make VUDU available on Premiere boxes.

--Margret

2. Jan 28, 2015 #2 of 1154
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Power Savings! I could kiss you.

3. Jan 28, 2015 #3 of 1154
    dalabera

dalabera Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Hold that thought! She is taken!! jajaja Anyway Keep the good work!!!

4. Jan 28, 2015 #4 of 1154
    kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Pending Restart......YEAH!
    (working from home is great on Tivo release days!!)

Thanks for the detailed info Margret!!

-Kevin

5. Jan 28, 2015 #5 of 1154
    obeythelaw2004

obeythelaw2004 Member

Oct 27, 2013
    This is awesome. Thanks so much for the updates!

6. Jan 28, 2015 #6 of 1154
    tatergator1

tatergator1 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well, this should leave only Settings screens in SD. Nice to see the manual recording pages finally updated to HD.

Some other good fixes and adds besides the headline OnePass upgrade.

7. Jan 28, 2015 #7 of 1154
    kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Both boxes updated quickly. Nice job on OnePass and the iOS app!

-Kevin

8. Jan 28, 2015 #8 of 1154
    Joe Siegler

Joe Siegler Member

May 10, 2000
    Garland, TX
    OK, I got updated about an hour ago (welcome msg here). I'm playing around with OnePass, and it will take some getting used to. I've had a TiVo now for 15 years, and the concept of being able to see more than what I have recorded in "My Shows" will take some rearranging of the brain process.

First off, for those concerned it will change existing Season Passes, it won't. Everything I had there is still as it was. OnePass is a name change only, to reflect the fact that it can bundle in streaming options in addition to what you've recorded. All existing functionality (as far as I can tell) is still there.

I have found a few oddities though.

1) You can scroll through shows in Explore, and add entire series or specific seasons to "My Shows". This then "groups" the show, and even if you just a single episode recorded, it continues to "group". There appears to be no way to "undo" this "add to my shows" thing that I can find. If anyone can find out how, let me know. Pic of it here: https://twitter.com/DFishDesign/status/560540113101287424

[​IMG]

UPDATE #1: I found a way around that. If you tell it to just use recordings, and then delete your only recorded episode, go to deleted folder and recover it... It will then "undo" the "add to my shows grouping" thing from OnePass. That's a really strange way to undo that feature though.

2) When you are looking at the combination of recorded shows and streaming shows, it doesn't appear to pick up shows in your deleted folder anymore. Whether this is by design or a bug/problem, I don't know. See the linked picture. S4E3 (Major Star) is indeed in my deleted folder, but doesn't show here, nor does there appear to be any indication that I can recover it as you've been able to in the past. https://twitter.com/DFishDesign/status/560540457080340480

[​IMG]

Overall, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about having shows in there that I haven't explicitly recorded.

[​IMG]

9. Jan 28, 2015 #9 of 1154
    HenryFarpolo

HenryFarpolo Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Andover Ma
    Thanks for the release notes and the early view of the update. My boxes all updated without issue.

10. Jan 28, 2015 #10 of 1154
    Joe Siegler

Joe Siegler Member

May 10, 2000
    Garland, TX
    Yay for HD version of manual recording/by channel/time area. :)

Now onto settings!

[​IMG]

11. Jan 28, 2015 #11 of 1154
    Joe Siegler

Joe Siegler Member

May 10, 2000
    Garland, TX
    Default settings for a OnePass.

[​IMG]

12. Jan 28, 2015 #12 of 1154
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It says "Power Savings when you put the Roamio into Standby". Is that true since I never use Standby. I guess I should have figured that out.

13. Jan 28, 2015 #13 of 1154
    tatergator1

tatergator1 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Why not just hit the "C" button in folder view and filter to only your recordings in that view? It would presumably save the filter, at least I would think so.

14. Jan 28, 2015 #14 of 1154
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The Manual Recordings section was updated to HD like two years ago. (around the time the Mini was released) Not sure why it's listed as being new. The other two are new though and will complete the transition to HD for all but the settings screens, which I assume people don't really frequent often.

15. Jan 28, 2015 #15 of 1154
    joewom

joewom Member

Dec 10, 2013
    Well I was hoping my XL4 was in the first batch as I would love Amazon on it. But that connected quick and nothing. My plus took about 5 min to download a d showing pending restart. Nice. Weird since I signed all 9 tivos up at same time. Mini taking a bit to download to so might have a few minis updated too.

Update: so far two minis and my roamio plus have it.

16. Jan 28, 2015 #16 of 1154
    TiVoMargret

Feb 2, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Premiere boxes won't start updating until next week. (There is more coordination/timing needed with the transition to the new Amazon app.)

17. Jan 28, 2015 #17 of 1154
    joewom

joewom Member

Dec 10, 2013
    Oh ok that answered why all but that one got the update. Thank you for the reply!!!

18. Jan 28, 2015 #18 of 1154
    kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Couple of things I've noticed:

- If you select the option for Rent or Buy to not include.....it won't list the shows that don't have a free option.....but for shows that do have the free option, it will also list paid sources when you go into the show.

- The new progress meter seems to only work on shows in a group.

- Once you have both the Tivo and iOS app updated, the iOS app will finally let you change the channel for the pass from All Channels to a particular channel or the other way.

-Kevin

19. Jan 28, 2015 #19 of 1154
    RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    It's a pity that was beyond the skill set of your programmers. Adding the capacity of jamming static URLs into a list already being generated by a thoroughly debugged scheduling algorithm must indeed be extremely difficult.

20. Jan 28, 2015 #20 of 1154
    TiVoMargret

Feb 2, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    We also consider the level of complication it adds to the user's experience, and how many people use the feature.