20.4.2 UI hard to read - need the old Font back!

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Tony Chick, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Jul 9, 2014 #1 of 36
    Tony Chick

Tony Chick Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Sherman...
    The new skinny font with letters jammed close together makes much of the UI unreadable to me from the couch across the room, I've never had a problem with it before but now I can barely read show info etc.

I'm sure this all seemed great to the twenty-somethings with perfect eyesight that do the graphic design, but for those of us getting a little older there needs to be an option to select the old font and colors (blue on blue for NEW indicators?).

2. Jul 9, 2014 #2 of 36
    Xminus1

Xminus1 New Member

Jul 9, 2014
    I agree with you totally. The new thin fonts hard to read and got to go. Bring back the old font!:mad:

3. Jul 9, 2014 #3 of 36
    chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Give yourself some time to adjust. As a 60-something with poor eyesight, I don't have any problem with the new font. And the overall appearance is much crisper than before. Besides, unless you're willing to swap your Premiere for an older model, there's no going back. And I believe most people like the change.

4. Jul 9, 2014 #4 of 36
    Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    I would rather not have the background so dark, other then that I like it.

5. Jul 9, 2014 #5 of 36
    Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    The funny thing is my new Roamio which has the old software. Looks to have the same shade put doesn't bother like on the Premiere w/24.2

6. Jul 9, 2014 #6 of 36
    lancelot

lancelot New Member

Jul 8, 2006
    Looks great on my tvs. Looked very good when update installed . Nevertheless, I reran the THX Video on my Elite. Made the adjustments suggested. I had the black levels set a bit too high. Now everything looks perfect!

7. Jul 9, 2014 #7 of 36
    JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
    I think the whole issue with the font is the quality of the television, size of the screen, whether they are using HDMI or Component (there is a difference between the two since one is digital and the other analog), and how well the television picture settings are setup. Too much sharpness or not enough sharpness or too much brightness or not enough brightness or too much contrast or not enough contrast can make anything look bad.

8. Jul 9, 2014 #8 of 36
    muzzymate

muzzymate Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Cleveland
    As someone with an eyesight condition, I think the new font is much more readable and pleased with the choice.

I do agree that a blue icon on blue for the new indicator isn't the best choice.

9. Jul 9, 2014 #9 of 36
    PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I love the new fresh look of 20.4.2, I'm almost 57 nearsighted. I appreciate the darker background as it doesn't wash out the text, It's crisp clean and easier on the eyes, it should alleviate eye strain, thank you. I'm in love with my TiVo Premiere's all over again.

10. Tony Chick

Tony Chick Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Sherman...
    I have it on 2 Tivos now, both on excellent quality TVs, a LG 47" and a Vizio 32" and it just doesn't work for me, its the lack of spacing between the letters even more than the thinness of the font, it just all runs together from a distance. Everyones eyesight is different, and my user experience just went way downhill so the font really needs to be a choice.

11. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
    I got the update earlier today and I feel like I've been waiting for this my whole life and now that it's here my life is complete. It's such a shame that some people are having trouble adjusting to the new UI. I personally find it a joy to use my TiVo, like experiencing a whole new level of awesome I never before thought was possible with a Premiere. I don't think I'll be able to go to bed tonight because of how over the moon I am with it.

12. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
    When I was referring to the quality of tv, I was also referring to how the display was setup (based on certified professional calibration verses someone winging it by eye so it "looks about right") because there is a difference and that makes a world of difference. Same with ambient lighting which in bright environments can make the image look too dark and hard to see and read. Also depends on the cabling used, composite or S-Video as everyone knows would make anything look worse and isn't HD verses HDMI which is HD.

13. Thunderclap

Thunderclap Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Chicago area
    I noticed the font is tough to read and jagged if looking at the guide on an SD channel. Seems the resolution quality drops on the guide on SD, but otherwise it looks good and is easy to read, at least for me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

14. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
    Then why not just set the TiVo to a fixed HD resolution and have it upscale?

15. dcline414

dcline414 New Member

Apr 30, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    +1

Our Tivo is set to output only 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. HD content is passed through and SD content is upscaled. I can't think of any advantage to having 480p passed through and upscaled by the receiver or TV.

16. Thunderclap

Thunderclap Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Chicago area
    Because I hadn't considered it. :)

17. weaver

weaver Member

Feb 27, 2004
    New...
    There would be an advantage if the receiver or TV upscaled better. Mine don't, so I just have 1080i and 1080p out of the TiVo.

18. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    The premiere and Roamio's have the same software now.

19. marinrain

marinrain New Member

Oct 30, 2001
    Corte...
    HATE the orange...and very hard to see particularly in daylight...wish had color choice of font color and highlight color

20. jay_winter

jay_winter P4+P4XL+Mini+FIOS

Jan 13, 2004
    Richmond, VA
    Like the new look, but I wish I could turn off the preview row up top, which I never use or pay attention to, to make more room for the My Shows list. With the new font, the list is shorter than ever and I'm constantly scrolling up and down to read it. Alternatively, let us pick a smaller font for the list.