20.2 HDUI/SDUI Poll

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by nrc, Jan 28, 2012.

Are you using the HDUI or SDUI with 20.2

Poll closed Apr 28, 2012.
  1. I use the HDUI and used it prior to 20.2

219 vote(s)
    55.7%
  2. I use the HDUI but just started with 20.2

96 vote(s)
    24.4%
  3. I still use the SDUI with 20.2

78 vote(s)
    19.8%
  1. Jan 28, 2012 #1 of 144
    nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    I'm wondering how the 20.2 release has affected use of the HDUI. Please only respond if you have 20.2.

Please comment below on how 20.2 has affected your preference.

2. Jan 29, 2012 #2 of 144
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Gave HDUI a shot for about 10 days straight on 1 Premiere and then just couldn't stand the sluggishness and all the little bugs and annoyances so went back gladly to SDUI. HDUI is better than it was but nowhere near good enough for me.

3. Jan 29, 2012 #3 of 144
    btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    I use both, and 20.2 hasn't affected my choice yet. The downstairs TiVo was on HDUI because the wife liked it, if it were up to me I'd still be using the SDUI. I'll carry on using the SDUI on the other one.

I haven't noticed much difference in the HDUI with 20.2 yet.

4. Jan 29, 2012 #4 of 144
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Well I like still like the SDUI better but I do like the 2 guides in the HDUI, so for the first time the HDUI actually has something I prefer. If I could mix and match pieces of both it would be great :D

5. Jan 29, 2012 #5 of 144
    ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Never used the HDUI prior to 20.2 but have started since. The thing I like most about it is being able to see which programs are scheduled to be recorded in the guide. What I don't like about it are:

1) The sluggishness of the interface.

2) The fact that when I scroll the right side of the guide to a different day the left side doesn't reflect the change.

3) If I'm playing a recording and back out of it, it continues playing (in the live video window) until I close the interface and return to live broadcast. When I leave a recording I'd like it to stop playing - the window should show the channel on one of the tuners.

4) The fact that if I scroll above the top recording in My Shows I end up bringing up one of the items in the Discovery Bar. I'd like to only go to the Discovery Bar if I really want to. Actually, I'd like to be able to simply disable the Discover Bar as an option.

5) I'd like the HDUI to be consistent throughout all options rather than switch to the SDUI when you make certain menu selections.

6. Jan 29, 2012 #6 of 144
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I said it in other threads, but I will say it again here. I could never stand the HDUI for very long but would try it after each update, just to be fair. I maybe could go one or two days after each update before giving up in disgust and going back to the SDUI. With 20.2, I have actually stayed in the HDUI, full time, for the very first time. It has improved enough that I can just tolerate it. I do like the higher resolution screens. The Discovery bar is far less annoying than before. It is faster, overall, than it has ever been.

But it still has a ways to go before I will be happy/comfortable. It is just too sluggish- too many pauses between operations, key presses, and after highlighting programs. Trying to rapidly delete programs is still way too much of a pain. I hate accidentally ending up on the Discovery Bar because there was lag and I misnavigated, and then I am trapped there for many extra seconds (I really, really, really want to get rid of the Discovery Bar).

20.2 is a BIG step in the right direction, and I am hoping the next update will wipe more bugs, improve performance more, and give users more UI choice/control.

7. Jan 29, 2012 #7 of 144
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    This is one of the most interesting Poll results EVER. It was just posted and already has 34 results.... and MORE THAN ONE THIRD (33% at the moment) of those responding have switched to HDUI due to this one update??? That's 64% of the SDUI users. WOW!

Of course, we all know that polls in the forum do not represent the TiVo users out there, at large. People on the forum are picker, more demanding, and more savvy. But given that, the results are even more amazing in this case.

8. Jan 29, 2012 #8 of 144
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    For me, it's all about speed and ease of use. TV watching is my #1 priority on my Elite; user interface is a far second.

I realize I may be a dying breed, but I don't use a single other form of content other than cable--no Hulu, NetFlix, etc. All I care about is watching my shows as easily as possible. And the SDUI works well for that. I want speed, responsiveness, stability, etc. Until the HDUI is as fast as the SDUI, or until there is a feature I can't live without that isn't on the SDUI, I will stick with the SDUI.

I love love love my Elite, but it is just a tool, not the goal.

9. Jan 29, 2012 #9 of 144
    sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    HDUI in 20.2 is dramatically improved. I'm still waiting for Brentil to post some quantitative speed results (hint) but there are no plans for me to use the SDUI again, ever. I'm really looking forward to the Netflix update in the spring along with the fix to the Amazon VOD pixelation issues!

10. Jan 29, 2012 #10 of 144
    tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005
    I have used it the entire time. It just did not bug me as much as others.

I do love the speed improvements and i like the fact that you do not need to wait for the discovery bar to populate. I still dont get why they just do not cache that thing. Pull down the next display when showing the previous one (that was cached).

11. Jan 29, 2012 #11 of 144
    OC7

OC7 Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    One way to get around this issue is to scroll up using the Channel Up arrow rather than the Up arrow. Trying to scroll above the top recording in My Shows with the Channel Up arrow does nothing.

12. Jan 29, 2012 #12 of 144
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    +1 +1

13. Jan 29, 2012 #13 of 144
    gteague

gteague golftango

Apr 1, 2007
    dfw (euless)
    +1 -- what he said.

my experience was the hdui on my elite slowed down incrementally day-by-day since the 20.2 update until it became as slow as it was when i first encountered it with 14.9.

/guy

14. Jan 30, 2012 #14 of 144
    hv9200

hv9200 New Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Agreed, I tried the HDUI and really wanted it to work. Its just painful to use. SDUI for me until it becomes as quick as the SD

15. Jan 30, 2012 #15 of 144
    Thunderclap

Thunderclap Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Chicago area
    I just switched to a Premiere from the HD and am very happy with the HDUI. The sluggishness is barely noticeable in my opinion, and only appears occasionally.

16. Jan 30, 2012 #16 of 144
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I dumped the SDUI when the premiere first came out and never looked back. I can't stand using the SDUI any more. With 20.2 the HDUI saw some great improvements. Hopefully this trend continues through the rest of 2012 and beyond.

17. Jan 30, 2012 #17 of 144
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Don't try the SDUI then since the performance difference is still like night and day.

18. Jan 30, 2012 #18 of 144
    TooMuchTime

TooMuchTime New Member

Jun 29, 2008
    I've used the HDUI since I got my Premiere. I tried to go back to the SDUI but it just wasn't what I wanted. One of my peeves was that, with an older release, if you went to the guide from a non-HD channel, the text was non-HD and a nuisance to try to read. They fixed that and I was happy with the HDUI at that point. Then I got a TiVo Advisors questionaire about the new HDUI. I just thought it was the text update because I hadn't got 20.2 yet. Two days after I answered the questionaire I got the 20.2 update! Oh, well.

By the way...I like the new look. I haven't noticed the slugishness mentioned here and find it easier to navigate. But, like others here, I really would like to be able to kill that stupid Discover Bar. I have NEVER used it. I think TiVo is getting better and 20.2 shows that.

19. Jan 30, 2012 #19 of 144
    gteague

gteague golftango

Apr 1, 2007
    dfw (euless)
    i dislike that if i leave a show i'm playing, it still plays in the thumbnail window.

what would be super is if i could have all 4 tuner channels replace the discover slots so they'd all show simultaneously and use the 5th one for playing a pre-recorded show. you'd have to mute the 4 tuner channels, but perhaps, while i'm dreaming!, they could program it so that if you selected a thumbnail you'd get audio. super pip!

/guy

20. Jan 30, 2012 #20 of 144
    phone man

phone man Member

Nov 4, 2011
    +1! Seeing scheduled recordings and being able to distinguish a season pass from a one time recording is very nice. I switched back and forth between hdui and sdui a few times since 20.1 but we're finding more things that we like about the hdui now that the cursor response has improved.