2 year commit issue

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by cougfan, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Mar 7, 2007 #1 of 16
    cougfan

cougfan New Member

Feb 10, 2005

Advertisements

My friend leased a non-hd dvr (H20) last June. He's in for a 2 year commit. Today, the HD installer arrived and refused to install the dish because of roof and chimney concerns. My friend called directv and they are balking at letting him out of his contract.

Anyone had any issues like this with Directv before or have a suggestion for convincing directv that they can't enforce the commit unless they can provide the requested level of service?

If it matter, he had the typical "I'll want to upgrade to HD later" conversation and was assured it would be "no problem" to do so.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Mar 7, 2007 #2 of 16
    bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    He got the H20 (non-DVR HD receiver, btw) in June of last year, but didn't have it installed until today or did he move?

3. Mar 7, 2007 #3 of 16
    Bonanzaair

Bonanzaair New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    I e-mail DirecTV everything I want to talk about with them. I want it documented that I do not want a 2 year commitment on anything from them. If DirecTV ever slips a commitment on me - I'll have documentation.

I don't play with these f....ers! It's just makes good business sense!

Bonanza

4. Mar 7, 2007 #4 of 16
    cougfan

cougfan New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    He had the H20 installed in June. He had the HD installer out today to upgrade his current system to an HD system, which required the install of a new and larger dish.

5. Mar 8, 2007 #5 of 16
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000

Advertisements

If you activate a receiver you have a commitment.

6. Mar 8, 2007 #6 of 16
    tivoboy

tivoboy Member

Jan 14, 2002
    SFO
    I consistently record my calls with DTV

7. Mar 8, 2007 #7 of 16
    RBerryman

RBerryman Just a Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Dallas, Texas
    Is there anywhere on their website where you can see what your commitment period is?

8. Mar 8, 2007 #8 of 16
    Lee L

Lee L Got Basenji?

Oct 1, 2003
    Morrisville, NC
    Call DirecTV and ask them to send another installer who is competent and/or gives a crap to help him.

9. Mar 9, 2007 #9 of 16
    tivoboy

tivoboy Member

Jan 14, 2002
    SFO
    what is the out for the 2 yr committment, 200$ or something?

10. jimb726

jimb726 New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I thought that I read 12.95/month for each remaining month. Potentially 300.00 rings a bell for some reason, but I am not 100% sure on that.

11. Mark W

Mark W Member

Dec 6, 2001
    CT, USA
    yup, call back D* and tell them that they need to send out an installer that will do the job. What exactly did the installer say the problem was? In many cases, if an installer does not want to do a job for some reason, they will just tell you it can't be done. Some of them don't carry ladders long enough for some roofs either.

12. Bonanzaair

Bonanzaair New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Actually I got it in writing (well - an e-mail) that as long as I only activate equipment that was on my account at one time or another - no commitment. That's good news because I had an H20 on my account and now I will pair it with a SA Tivo and wait until the new HD Tivo arrives. I can avoid the whole DirecTV DVR+ product bull, get all the new HD programming, TivoCAST, KidsZone, and now Amazon Movie Downloads and NO COMMITMENT!

I win!

Bonanza

13. qposner

qposner New Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Fortunately, on two separate occasion when I should have been under contract, they said I was not. D* does not do well in the records department.

14. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    Are you getting the Series 3? If so there *is* a commitment to the Tivo service (at that I see in their plans). Maybe you've got a lifetime you can transfer to avoid that.

Also be careful because cable card will soon be dead with cable moving to Switched Video. Time Warner has already announced they plan to aggressively move to Switched Video to complete with DirecTV's HD offering. So be careful if your cable company is Time Warner, cable card will be gone sooner then later.

Cable is going thru the same change that Dish and DirecTV are going thru. Dish and DirecTV are moving to MPEG4 needing new receiver. Cable is moving to Switched Video needing new equipment as well. Big changes all around the next couple years.

15. Bonanzaair

Bonanzaair New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    An S3 - nope. Tivo at their Qtrly Earnings Conference announced that they felt that this last holiday season the Tivo missed a large number of new subs because the only product Tivo had in the marketplace was the S3. Tivo announced a new "lower" priced HD model for August or September. Until then I will be using DirecTV HD20 with a Series 2 Tivo model. I'll gain all the wonderful features of the new Tivos (TivoCAST, KidsZone, Amazon Movies, Product Watch, etc) without having to make a commitment to DirecTV.

I don't mind a commitment to Tivo - that's my prefered hardware interface. I don't see that changing in a year or two. I can get content from any provider such as DirecTV, Comcast, Dish, Internet, etc.

Bonanza

16. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i haven't been on DTVs site in a while. I went today to see my commitment..where the heck is it?

why dont they just print it on the bills?