2 units upgraded to 6.3e - 2 questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by plybyply, Aug 22, 2007.

1. plybyply

plybyply New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    I had ptv and Instant Cake on both of my Philips 704 receivers. Both units got the update to 6.3e and with that I have lost network connectivity (1 wired and 1 wireless) on both.

Also, the receivers are not connected to phone lines. I thought with the aforementioned software that I would not get forced updates. Clearly, I must have done something wrong. I am PC literate and comfortable with HW installs but Linux is foreign to me. Any suggestions? Do I need to reinstall?

2. Da Goon

Da Goon Registered Abuser

Oct 22, 2006
    If you didn't update it yourself manually or using the slicer,etc, then all your hacks are gone. You'll probably need to hack it from scratch. I don't believe the ptvupgrade products disable automatic updates.

3. BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    true, ptvnet doesn't default to disabling upgrades

It sounds like it also doesn't disable routing to the mothership, (at least, that's one possible way for a tivo to trigger an update without a phone line connected, I believe)

Da Goon is right... if an upgrade was pushed through and you didn't change the prom password, you'll have to pull the drive to hack again.