2 tuner TiVo + FIOS = no signal on one tuner, blank recordings

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Brian Kendig, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Brian Kendig

Brian Kendig New Member

Nov 25, 2007

Advertisements

I have a 2-tuner Series 2 TiVo, and for my television service I just switched to FIOS, which behaves exactly like digital cable except that there is no analog signal.

The problem is that my TiVo doesn't realize it can only get a signal from the composite A/V cable, so occasionally when it records a program it tries to use the coax analog cable and ends up with a recording of blackness.

Is there any way to tell a dual-tuner TiVo to only use input from the composite A/V cable, and not from coax analog?

2. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    Fios is 100% digital. The Series 2 is not digital. How are you hooking the fios coax into the series 2 if the series 2 can't recognize digital without a digital converter?

Are you using a digital converter anywhere?

3. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    You need to run Guided Setup again and tell it that you only have cable with a box.

4. Brian Kendig

Brian Kendig New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    ciscokid, I've got a digital converter box to convert the FIOS television signal to a composite video that my TiVo can use.

ggieseke, I think I already have it set for "only cable with a box", and so it sends IR commands to the converter and uses the A/V input for digital cable channels, but it still thinks it can get lower-numbered channels (1-99?) over the analog coax input. Are you saying there's an option in Guided Setup where I can tell it that it CAN'T get any non-digital channels?

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Advertisements

If you just (as in very recently) switched to FIOS, then you should have just (as in even more very recently) re-run guided setup after the switch.

TiVos have at least this in common with computers: If not given accurate information, performance will be compromised.

Oh, and they don' read minds.

6. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    It's been a long time since I ran Guided Setup, but somewhere in there you should be asked if you have analog cable for the second tuner. I have 4 S2DTs running on satellite, and when set up for a single source you don't even see the Box or Cable options in the channel list.