2 Tivo's Premier & HD 1 Glo remote?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by BOHICA, Sep 14, 2011.

1. BOHICA

BOHICA New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    USA
    The search feature is Tossing an error so forgive me if this is covered.

I have a Tivo Premier XL and A Tivo HD. The problem I am having is they cannot be in the same room with the glow remote. When ever you use it, it controls both at the same time.

Has there been any work a rounds? Just like using the 1 - 2 switch on older remotes? I'm not looking forward to having to buy a new universal remote.

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Mehthod(link):

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8561030#post8561030

Sorry to be so short. If you don't understand, I will try to explain, another way. But this is the only way, for a peanut remote without a 1-2 switch. All peanut remotes can control many units(about 9, supposedly) in the same room this way. (I don't think there is another way).

I do it all the time for 3 units(previously 4), even though I have a Harmony universal remote.

ps: You also have to program the remote address code on the System Info screen of each Tivo unit, separately.

3. BOHICA

BOHICA New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    USA
    Thanks a bunch. I just found the info myself from another post after switching PC's to get search working :)

Posting what I found as well.

2 Tivo's 1 remote

Remote with 1-2 switch (From Tivo Support)

1. Prepare the DVRs. Cover the area around the shiny, dark plastic window on the front of one DVR (either oneĀ—call this one #2). You can use a dark piece of cloth or a magazineĀ—something thick and opaque. This prevents DVR #2 from receiving signals. Point the remote control at DVR #1, and go to TiVo Central by pressing the TiVo button. Go to the System Information screen; for instructions, see How Do I Access the System Information Screen?Press the DOWN arrow until you see the item Remote Address.

2. Prepare the remote control. Move the DVR SWITCH to 1. Point the remote away from DVR #1 and cover the front end of the remote with your hand. Press and hold the PAUSE and TiVo buttons simultaneously until the red light at the end of the remote control comes on, remains steady, and then stays on when you release the buttons.

3. Assign side 1 on the DVR SWITCH to DVR#1. Point the remote control at DVR#1. Use the number buttons on the remote control to enter a number 1. Press the RIGHT arrow. On the screen, the Remote Address changes from 0 to 1. Press the TiVo button.

NOTE: You have now programmed side 1 of the DVR switch to control DVR #1. Now continue to Step 4 and set up side 2. If you do not, side 2 will still control both DVRs.

4. Prepare the DVRs again. Change the input source on your TV so that it displays DVR #2. Do this by pressing the input, source, or TV/Video button on your TV. Then remove the cover from the plastic window of DVR#2 and cover the plastic window of DVR#1. Finally, go to the System Information screen of DVR #2, and press DOWN arrow until you see Remote Address displayed.

5. Assign side 2 on the DVR SWITCH to DVR#2. Move the DVR SWITCH to 2. Repeat Step 2, above. Then use the number buttons on the remote to enter a 2, and press RIGHT arrow. Finally, press the TiVo button. Now when you set the DVR SWITCH to 1, it will only control DVR #1 and when you set it to 2, it will only control DVR #2.

Glow Remote (do save as above)
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8561030#post8561030
    Use this to switch the Glow remote from DVR1 to DVR2

To switch it among different Tivo units, press and hold the Tivo button at the same time as you hold and press the "Pause" button, until the little red light at the top end of the remote remains lit(about 5 seconds). Then press the number on the number keypad which corresponds to the "remote address" of the Tivo unit to control. The little red light will flash a few times and turn off to confirm the remote has switched addresses.

Or 2 remotes 2 tivo's

Cover the IR receiver on the Tivo not being programmed, get the first TiVo to the System Information Screen. (other one on any screen but SI).

Change the remote for this TiVo to #1 by: first while holding both TiVo button and pause button ~1-2 sec, wait for LED on remote to glow constantly. Second, press the "1" button. (three LED blinks in response). Third, page up and down and check that the System Information Screen now shows remote address 1.

Repeat the above for the other TiVo (code "2") and be sure not to leave either TiVO on the SI screen when using the other remote or it will revert to that new address.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can choose any of the codes from 1 to 9, but setting to code 0 is like resetting the codes because it contains all of them.

5. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    There are Glo remotes with a 1-2 switch, they're not "new" and that should be clarified in the thread. You're referring to Premiere Glo remotes above.

My answer? use a remote with a 1-2 switch, it's a LOT easier, and I have yet to find something that requires the colored buttons on my Premiere

6. mimalmo

mimalmo New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    I'd just buy 1 or 2 of the keyboard remotes and be done with it. My family loves these remotes.

[​IMG]

7. nycityuser

nycityuser Member

Dec 30, 2004
    New York, NY
    Are these bluetooth remotes paired only with the specific dongle that comes with the remote?

I currently have one of these keyboard remotes for my living room TiVo. I'd like to get one for the bedroom TiVo but am worried that a single remote will cause responses on both TiVos. Is this the case? Or will a remote only work on the dongle that came with it?

8. mimalmo

mimalmo New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Each one has its own connection to its box. No problem using two or more of the bluetooth keyboard remotes at a time.

9. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes. But the point of this thread is to control two boxes in the same room with one remote.

Can the slide do that? If it can, I imagine the switching process is similar to that with a peanut with no 1-2 switch.

Plus, op stated he/she wanted to do with the "glo remote" on hand, and not have to buy another remote.

10. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    The OP wants to separately control both TiVos with one remote. Unless one of the original remotes has been lost or broken, using two remotes should be possible with what is "on hand".

11. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Unless you get an older remote with a 1-2 switch, the only way to control two Tivo's in the same room with a single remote is to set two different remote addresses on the TiVo boxes and then reprogram the remote to the proper address each time you want to use it (using the TiVo/slow combo press, followed by the corresponding 1 to 9 key for the address).

12. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    That just sounds like such a PITA to bother with, I don't get why folks would do that over a 1-2 switch older remote. Have I missed something that a Premiere does that requires the colored buttons?

13. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Not everyone has an older remote. I have 2, but the 1-2 switch is non-functional on one of them. Fortunately (I guess), I don't currently have multiple TiVos in the same location.

Personally, I would have preferred they kept the 1-2 switch. The only time I've used the colored buttons is check to see if they actually work. Like the window in the HD menus, it seems like it is merely an attempt to make the TiVo look more like a DirectTV DVR. Ghod knows why they want to do this.