2 Tivos, only one Amazon acct.

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by rmturner, Mar 26, 2010.

1. rmturner

rmturner New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    Atlanta

Advertisements

A family member watching one of my Tivos in her room wants to use her own Amazon account to download videos. I know my Tivo account can only be linked to one Amazon account, but wondered if anyone had any alternatives. I kind of want to pay the monthly Tivo rentals, so would rather not transfer the Tivo over to her.

As a stretch, all I could come up with is she could download a video from her Amazon account to her laptop and transfer it to her Tivo with the Tivo Desktop. But I'm guessing it either wouldn't be in a format that Tivo could view, or she couldn't transfer it due to film company restrictions.

Another alternative I haven't tried....could she open her own Netflix account and get videos that way? Thx.

2. Karl Childers

Karl Childers New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    A...
    I would definitely recommend using Netflix, providing the TiVo in question is a S3-platform TiVo. I would also recommend connecting that TiVo to your home network via an Ethernet cable to avoid any streaming issues.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You can transfer it to a new account and still link it to your credit card so that you're still paying for it. I pay for TiVos for several of my family members and they're all on different accounts. And don't worry they can't see your complete credit card number, all they can see when they log in is the last 4 digits.

Dan

4. rmturner

rmturner New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    Atlanta
    Dan203 - Excellent idea! I could just open another account under her name, transfer her Tivo there and stick my credit card in for payment. Great. And Karl, I hear you on the wired vs wireless network. Unfortunately her room doesn't have an ethernet connection, but with 22/5 cable internet, the wireless isn't all that bad. She's got a TivoHD, so Netflix should work too. I might try it out myself on my Series3. Thanks guys.

5. javabird

javabird Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle

Advertisements

Will you lose the Multi-room discount if you do it that way?

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yes. The multi-TiVo discount only applies when all TiVos are on the same account.

You will also lose the ability to transfer recording between them, even if they are on the same network, and any videos transferred to a PC via TiVoToGo will require different keys to access. (not sure if you use those features or not, but figured it was worth a mention)

Dan