2 TiVos in same room best uses ????

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Rkkeller, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Feb 8, 2012 #1 of 13
    Rkkeller

Rkkeller Well-Known Member

May 13, 2004
    I have a TiVo HD upgraded to 157 hours HD and just added a TiVo Premier upgraded to 317 hours HD and they are both in the same room and I wanted to see how others are using multiple TiVos in the same room.

I have about 120 SP's on the HD and when getting the Premier at first I was just going copy all the SP's and see where I go from there.

What I ended up doing was only copying my top 60 SP's to the Premier but still left all 120 SP's on the HD.

Then I thought maybe just use the HD as mass storage for shows where I like to keep alot of them. Then I thought this???? Then I thought that??????

Now I am trying to figure out the best way to use both and wanted to see how others handle it.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::

2. Feb 8, 2012 #2 of 13
    janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I'd split the season passes between them based on networks so as to minimize conflicts.

3. Feb 8, 2012 #3 of 13
    Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

Sep 11, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    It seems like selling both and then getting an Elite would buy you more convenience.

I still wish they'd implement whole-house recording so that you don't care or manage which TiVo in your house is recording what but you just tell it, "I want to record 'whatever'," and it figures out how many tuners it has available on the network at that time and then either assigns the task to another TiVo or tells you, "Sorry - not enough tuners are available.."

Then just use the Now Playing list as an overall list of what's in your home and everything either plays off the current drive or streams from another TiVo.

Of course, even better than that would be to get rid of all hard drives altogether and just have it all recorded once at the cable company and then your cable subscription allowed you to get it all On-Demand (although their menus are horrible). Makes more sense than every household having multiple drives recording roughly the same things all across the US.

4. Feb 8, 2012 #4 of 13
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I used to have three or four Tivos in the same room. I'd make up a schedule grid when the new fall shows would come out and split up the season passes between the Tivos so as to avoid conflicts and also allow me to use a free tuner for live TV, as needed. I eventually switched everything over to a HTPC with multiple tuners (currently at eight cablecard tuners and four ATSC). No more scheduling conflicts and multiple season pass lists. Having everything on one box has simplified my life considerably.

5. Feb 8, 2012 #5 of 13
    NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    I use my second TiVo to capture mostly 'suggestions'.

6. Feb 8, 2012 #6 of 13
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yeah, split the SPs so you can most likely have padding _and_ no conflicts..

Also, use the TivoHD remote, since you can switch between 1/2. Is that even on the orig Premiere remote? I know it's not on the Elite remote.

(i.e. of course, as you must have done already, you need to reprogram the Tivo and the remote to be on different frequencies so you can talk to each Tivo separately.)

7. Feb 9, 2012 #7 of 13
    TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    This is what I did to replace my S2 & S3 which means I can use the S3 downstairs a nd then maybe sell the S2. It really depends on what you (the OP) want to get out of it but for me it was a lot of little things like taking two units down to one, freeing up a plug etc.

8. Feb 9, 2012 #8 of 13
    Rkkeller

May 13, 2004
    Thanks for some good ideas. I am going to fool with the guide and SP's and see what I can do for best all around coverage.

I know some prefer all in one devices but I like having a backup and using 2 TiVo's even though it might be a little more setup. A couple times I had a TiVo fail and when it went I was lost for days until I could get it replaced. That why I went for a 2nd expanded drive TiVo over selling my old one and getting an Elite. When one fails, and its only a matter of time for the HD's, I can just copy the SP's back from the Tivo.com website and in minutes be back to normal.

9. Feb 9, 2012 #9 of 13
    DeWitt

DeWitt Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Saratoga...
    The flexibility of having two is nice. I know an elite might make my life simpler, but it wasn't available when I bought my second Premiere. I have upgraded both to 2 Tb so I now have 4Tb of storage and 4 tuners.

For simplicity I use one primarily for regular TV, networks series etc. The second is almost exclusively a movie box. There are a few nights a week when I have two many SP's and just move the extra ones to the movie machine.

No pressure for now to buy an elite, but if I needed a premiere in another room an elite would be a no brainer.

My Receiver handles the HDMI switching. I mapped one button on each remote to select the correct HDMI input. One is a slide and the other is a glo from the XL. Makes it easy to tell which unit you are using.

10. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    You can use the different remotes without the 1/2 switch. Look at this guide and it will show you how to program them. I use the "Glow" remotes so I just programmed each one for a different Tivo.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/285/kw/tivo remote control

edit: nevermind I see you said it already, sorry :eek:

11. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Here in LA we have just about ENDLESS local new almost around the clock, but I would always miss something like a really good report or some live happening. So, now I have 3 TiVo's (at various times when they are not recording other content) recording almost all the VHF channels morning shows and newscasts starting at 4AM-3:30PM, then starting at 4PM again until 7PM, then starting at 8PM to 11:35. Now, I miss nothing. I only view the recordings if I know of something I wanted to watch, but otherwise have them set for ONE episode and delete several each night without looking. But it sure has come in handy for watching LIVE how they ended that pursuit or kicked out the Occupy people.

12. Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005
    When we had three HD DVR's we used one for CBS & NBC, one for ABC & FOX and the other one for the rest. Made it easy to know which one had a specific show and minimized conflicts.

13. Rkkeller

May 13, 2004
    It was a little pain but I started going thru the guide and found some conflicts and deleted some SP's on one or the other TiVo so I now will have less conflicts.

I have over 100 SP's but only the top 50 roughly really matter but its still going to take me another round of fooling around to get it so everything is recorded and no conflicts.

I am also thinking once I get things where needed, I will use the TiVo HD more for mass storage of some shows and only keep 2 of things on the Premier.

I like to record entire seasons of Survivor, Big Brother so I can have SP's on both but delete the shows on the Premier and save them on the HD.