2 Tivo's Can't See Each Other...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Scott.k2, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Scott.k2

Scott.k2 New Member

Jan 5, 2006
    Portland,...
    I have two Tivo's and two routers.

Comcast Broadband feeds the basement router, which is then hardwire connected to a router on the 2nd floor of the house.

The basement Tivo has a wired connection to the basement router (This one I've had for a year). The bedroom (2nd floor) Tivo has wireless connection to the 2nd floor router. It's wireless because there is no easy way to get a wired connection to the Tivo/TV on this floor. (This one is new this week.)
    Each Tivo is functioning independently of each other. They connect and download data from Tivo Central. The wireless connection was a breeze to set-up (once I found a compatible adapter - but that's another story.)

The 2nd floor Tivo will connect to my PC. BUT, neither Tivo see's the other one, so there is no multi-room viewing. I've tried looking at the IP info...but it's complicated (or seems so to me) since the 'set-up' screens are different from the wired connection and wireless connections.

The home network routers talk to each other.
    Each Tivo gets information.
    But how do I get them to see each other?

Thanks in advance for any tips, help, suggestions.

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Normally two routers on the same network screw up the IP addresses because they both want to assign them. You only need the wireless one which usually also has some sockets for wired connections.

3. Scott.k2

Scott.k2 New Member

Jan 5, 2006
    Portland,...
    Ugh...that's not what I wanted to hear. :)

We tried to get along with one router -- but the signal wouldn't reach everywhere, so we got the second router several months ago. The two are connected to each other; Cable modem wire to router #1 wired to router #2.

I should have just gone with the Comcast DVR for the second box if they won't connect to each other.

4. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    What you need is a switch rather than a router. Switches look just like routers but let the router it is connected to worry about the IP addresses.