2 Tivo's accessing their guides

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by sailnut, Sep 5, 2007.

1. sailnut

sailnut New Member

Sep 12, 2002
    I presently own a Series 2 Tivo which I have connected to my home network. I have the "Home Media" software installed and running.

I have just ordered a HD-Tivo which I will also install on my network and will activate it on the same account as the present Series 2. This means that the media keys will be the sameĀ… right?

The series 2 will be moved to another room in my house.

Time Warner is my cable provider (New York City) and most of their programming requires a box to decode.

I understand that I will need to install a cable card in the HD-Tivo to view these channels.

During the time I am waiting for the card can I access the guide and recorded programs (on the Series 2) from the new HD-Tivo?

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    No.

The guide is sent to each Tivo from the service. However, you will get a trial period on the new TiVo. Transfers are also unavailable on the Series 3 platform at this time, so you can't MRV to/from your Series 2.

When transfers get enabled, they should both get same keys, so MRV will work.

You will add the new TiVo to your account ,but it will need separately subbed, if you want to keep your existing Series 2 operational.

You will neen one or two cablecards for the TiVo HD to get digital cable.

3. sailnut

sailnut New Member

Sep 12, 2002
    I activated the unit last night.

This morning I called TW (Staten Island NY) to order the cards only one card (I have OTA on the other tuner). The tech at TW told me that their cards are only function in TV's and will not work in a DVR like TIVO.

I asked to speak to his supervisor. "I will not. He will tell you the same thing!!!!!"

I hung up and called TIVO. They called TW... conference call. The discussion got mired in a debate re M and S cards. All I want is an S says I.

TW promised to set up an appointment to install the card. One hour later (10:30AM) they called back for the model of my TIVO.

Since then....!!

What should I do?

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Just give them the model.

It should be noted, with one S-card, the DMR will only record one channel at a time at all. The inputs don't go to separate tuners, the each go to both, and only one S-card disables the other tuner, so the one you have can tuner either cable or antenna. If you want to record cable and antenna at the same time, you need two S-cards, or an M-card (if you have a TiVoHD at this time).