2 TiVo Mini's in same room - can separate remotes work?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by dmk1974, Nov 13, 2020.

1. dmk1974

dmk1974 DA BEARS!!!

Mar 7, 2002
    Cary, IL

Advertisements

So, here's what I want to do. In the same room, I have 2 TVs.

TV#1 already has a TiVo Mini VOX, but I operate the Mini via IR (not RF) with a Logitech Harmony Remote.
    TV#2 I would like to add a Mini A93 (the RF version) and use the actual TiVo RF remote with it.

I know way back there was a way to program each IR signal to each TiVo in one of the settings screens. But what about since I'm using the universal Harmony Remote? Is that a limitation or will I be able to use it still without activating actions on TV #2? Conversely, can I use the RF link on the TiVo remote for TV#2 without also sending an IR signal to TV #1?

Hopefully that's not too confusing! Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Sure, as long as the TV sets have different codes. The Harmony will tell you that quickly. The TiVo remote doesn't care how many TV sets are in the room.

3. dmk1974

dmk1974 DA BEARS!!!

Mar 7, 2002
    Cary, IL
    Thanks. Yes, the TVs are different brands so no concern there. I just don't want to have the wrong TiVo respond depending on which remote I grab.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Pairing the RF remote to the TiVo will avoid that issue. Also, just to be sure, you can set the IR channel on the RF remote to non-zero. Noise can cause an RF remote to drop into IR mode. I can't find my link to the procedure, but it should be easy to find.

5. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008

Advertisements

Just set up the remotes to use different non-zero addresses. Any TiVo will repond to a remote that is set to address 0.

C+TiVo Remote IR mode
    D+TiVo Remote RF mode
    Setting IR address of remote/TiVo
    <TiVo>+<Pause> then <0..9> set Remote address
    To set IR remote address of TiVo:
    1) Go To "System Information" Page
    2) Page down so that "Remote Address" is diplayed
    3) With remote in IR mode, push Right Arrow to send remote's IR
    address

mattack and shwru980r like this.
  6. dmk1974

dmk1974 DA BEARS!!!

Mar 7, 2002
    Cary, IL
    I get that if I was using 2 TiVo remotes, but can a harmony IR remote be programmed to the address too? I figured it would always be zero no matter what.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Certainly ... though, worst case, you'd have to teach the Harmony remote every IR command for each IR remote address. (But I believe Harmony may support a few of the IR addresses out of the box ... requiring only a few learned commands. I expect someone else will come along w/ an authoritative answer, such as @mdavej.)

8. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    @krkaufman, Your answer is spot on. I'll only add that the Harmony software should prompt you to send those few learned commands so that it can determine which code set to use. Of course, your Tivo remote needs to be set to the desired address beforehand and set to IR mode.

krkaufman likes this.
  9. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    All the TiVo Code Sets 0-9 are in the Harmony Database.

Some are more complete than others, so I recommend using the lower numbers if you're going off Zero.

-KP

krkaufman likes this.
  10. dmk1974

dmk1974 DA BEARS!!!

Mar 7, 2002
    Cary, IL
    Thanks for the tips. Not having luck just yet. Found this procedure and tried a couple times with no luck:
    One Harmony remote, two or more TiVos
    The TiVo remote I have in the Harmony was definitely set to IR mode, already set to the ID, and the Harmony seemed to pickup reading the TiVo remote just fine when it instructed me to hit the 1, channel up, and guide buttons.

I do have both of my original TiVo remotes set with their own IDs now (5 and 6 I picked) and no cross issues when I use those in the same room with the 2 Mini boxes (tested with both on IR and both on RF). Worst case, for when I need to use the 2nd TV on football Sunday's, I'll just set the Harmony aside.

krkaufman likes this.
  11. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    5 and 6 are less likely to be in the Harmony database. I'd try 1 and 2 if I were you. If you insist on 5 and 6, simply teach the whole code sets to Harmony as new devices. Either option should work fine.

krkaufman and dmk1974 like this.
  12. dmk1974

dmk1974 DA BEARS!!!

Mar 7, 2002
    Cary, IL
  13. dmk1974

dmk1974 DA BEARS!!!

Mar 7, 2002
    Cary, IL
    That did it! I sent the one I wanted to link to the Harmony to "1". Left the other as "5". All seems good. Thanks!

kpeters59, krkaufman and mdavej like this.