1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 specific questions on BOLT

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by iglesiab, Oct 10, 2018 at 12:59 PM.

1. iglesiab

iglesiab New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Hi Everyone,

i have 2 questions on the BOLT that hopefully someone can answer.

I have the original BOLT (not VOX or OTA). Is it true that it does not support HDR?

Also is the tuner in the original BOLT the same as the tuner in the BOLT OTA?

thanks

brian

2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    That is not true about HDR. Where did your hear that? Where's your HDR content going to come from?

The BOLT OTA has the same tuner as the Roamio OTA. Some users have reported identical performance compared to BOLT. Others have reported that the Roamio/BOLT OTA is better.

3. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Tivo's new user interface supports HDR, at least, but the apps need to be updated to support it.

4. Resist

Resist Active Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I find this hard to believe since many people have had trouble with their Bolt tuning in OTA channels, that Roamio and even Premiere boxes can tune in.

5. pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    You misunderstood his statement that you quoted. mdavej was referring to Bolt OTA, not Bolt and he stated the same thing as you: "Some users have reported identical performance compared to BOLT. Others have reported that the Roamio/BOLT OTA is better."

6. Resist

Resist Active Member

Dec 21, 2003
    No, I understood exactly what he was saying. Some Bolt OTA users are not getting channels with its tuners, that the Roamio and Premiere can get OTA.

7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    See, the millions of users with a Bolt OTA never post since their tuners are much better than the few dozen with the defective Bolt, Roamio and Premiere OTA units.

8. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Take it up with TiVo_Ted who is a very reliable source inside Tivo: New TiVo Bolt OTA

But I still think you are confusing the original Bolt with the just released Bolt OTA. We have virtually no feedback from those users yet. So how would you know the extent of their issues?

I'm giving the OP all the information I have, which is, the new Bolt OTA tuners are identical to the Roamio OTA tuners. Comparison to the original Bolt is mixed and inconclusive. But logically speaking, if one accepts the premise that Roamio OTA has good tuners, then the new Bolt OTA's tuners will be the same.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 9:25 AM
    chicagobrownblue likes this.
  9. iglesiab

iglesiab New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    I would like to play my files with HDR content through the Plex app but have never been able to. So if the BOLT supports HDR, then is my issue with the Plex app?

It is very confusing as I have 4K files that are in line with the specs that tivo says they support but the plex app never plays them natively - so not sure where the issue is.

10. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Totally

May 8, 2006
    Some have said Plex did not work on HDA.

11. iglesiab

iglesiab New Member

Oct 28, 2004

HDA? Hydra interface?

12. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I'm seeing the same thing. Looks like for now you'll need some other streamer for HDR via Plex, like Shield, ATV, Roku or Xbox.

13. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Totally

May 8, 2006
    yes

14. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I use plex with hydra every day.

15. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    And you get HDR? That's great news.

16. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I thought the Bolt OTA was just a 4 tuner Bolt Vox with the cable card bracket and Moca removed.

17. tapokata

tapokata Active Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    The original Bolt (I have two of them) streaming apps currently do not support any flavor of HDR. I have no experience with Plex on the Bolt.

Except for a few test locations, no US based Over The Air station is currently broadcasting in 4K, let alone 4K with HDR enabled.

The original Bolts will scale and/or output source material at 4K resolution to a 4K equipped display, but again, without HDR enabled.

18. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    So you read the link I posted which is written by one of the guys involved in the actual design and testing, and you're still questioning it? Where exactly did you get the data to support what you "think" the Bolt OTA is, Tivo_Ted's boss?

19. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Do you think the Bolt OTA will run cooler than the original Bolt?

20. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I have no idea.