2 questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by grantsa4, Nov 13, 2008.

1. grantsa4

grantsa4 New Member

Jun 14, 2007

Advertisements

1. Is there any quick way to delete everything in the recently deleted folder?

2. Is there any way to find out how much space is left on the dvr? Or space used?

Thanks

2. LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    1. You could go to Messages and Settings, Restart or Reset System, then Clear & delete everything.

But I'm not sure if you have to go through guided setup again if you do that, maybe not. I have never done it.

2. I'm not sure, some one else could probaly give a better answer.

3. grantsa4

grantsa4 New Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Thanks - I don't want to delete "everything", just everything in the recently deleted folder - I checked on the Tivo website and couldn't find anything.

Not sure if maybe you just can't do it.

4. LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    Haha, sorry, I miss read you post.

If you have tivo software 9.4, you can hit the clear button when the recently deleted folder is highlighted and it will delete the entire group/folder.

The stuff in the recently deleted folder will not take away recording capacity. It will just record over it first. You know you are getting low on space when your programs marked to be deleted soon in yellow start getting recorded over before you delete them.

5. grantsa4

grantsa4 New Member

Jun 14, 2007

Advertisements

Great - thanks for the help

6. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    "Recently Deleted" is not like the Recyle Bin on your computer. All the items in the "Recently Deleted" folder are already marked for deletion the instant some space is needed for a new recording. It's more like an undelete feature on a computer that can recover deleted files.

7. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    This program (for Windoze) will do what you ask...

TiVoPlaylist.

8. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Using the recently deleted folder is how you can determine how much space you have for new recordings. Roughly speaking, with 25 shows in that folder you have 25 available spots for new shows.

9. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Don't worry about deleting stuff from the recently deleted folder.
    Like Jim said, use it as your free space indicator. When it starts getting low, you know your Tivo is almost full.

10. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    This doesn't work for the Recently Deleted Folder. There is no way to mass delete it. Because there is no reason to. Ever.

FSI? Hmm, what a novel concept.:eek:

11. rescuefire

rescuefire New Member

Jul 7, 2006
    Michigan
    I was wondering the same thing about deleting everything at once from the recently deleted folder. And why is it you say "never" needs to be deleted? Since that folder filled up my picture is pixelated and there are dead sound spots etc. When I cleared that stupid "recently deleted" folder that problem stopped. So I guess there IS a reason to clear that folder. Back to the original question is there a way to do it all at once? Is there a way to NOT put deleted recordings in that folder?

Now my Tivo seems like a moron(MS)-computer, do you want to delete? (thats why I hit the button) are you sure you want to delete? (yes again nothing has changed in the last half a second) are you really positive that you are not a moron and hit delete by accident? (YES already go AWAY!) Very frustrating to say the least!

12. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    That's either a false correlation (coincidence), or you have a bad spot on your hard disk, and should replace it. It's not a reason to clear the recently deleted folder.

13. txporter

txporter One sec, almost done

Sep 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Agreed, what wmcbrine said.

14. rescuefire

rescuefire New Member

Jul 7, 2006
    Michigan
    False correlation? Lets see, I had the problem, I deleted all the "recently deleted" and the problem went away.

By the way it's a new hard drive.

15. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    The best you can do is go into the RD folder and hit the 'clear' button in rapid succession.

16. Mars Rocket

Mars Rocket Loosely wound

Mar 24, 2000
    Sinnoh region
    It's a false correlation because it's not the fact that the deleted items folder has anything in it that's causing the problem, it's the fact that you have a certain amount of stuff recorded. If you fill your TiVo with recordings and don't delete anything then you'll have the same problem but the Recently Deleted folder will be empty. It sounds like a bad spot on the hard drive (or a bad hard drive) to me as well. Just because it's new doesn't mean anything.

17. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    huh, I have the stock drive, recently deleted has shows in it and I have no pixellation. What is the correlation for that one example.

and in your scenario - why is a bad hard drive ruled out simply because it is new?

18. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Others have covered the "bad disk/pixellation" issue, but as far as your questions, no & no. Can't do it all at once, and can't prevent deleted recordings from being put there.

You exaggerate for effect. If you press CLEAR while on the RD Folder list, it asks ONE time, are you sure?

19. lastdeadcat

lastdeadcat 22 years in Alaska

Mar 14, 2005
    Duvall, WA
    There might not be a TiVo functionality reason to delete those files, but there could be a social reason. You take it from here.

20. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Not sure (I don't delete shows from the RD folder) but I think you still have to acknowledge each one, as opposed to other locations.