2 Questions about Tivo HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Chimpware, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Chimpware

Chimpware New Member

Jan 30, 2002

Advertisements

Just got Tivo back, after having 8300 HD for a while. Previous Tivo units were both Hughes DirecTV units. 2 questions / minor issue with new Tivo HD:

1. Why no List button? I have this button where Aspect is now on new remote on older DirecTivo remote and it still works. Seems like it would be better to have List available with 1 click than Aspect Ratio.

2. Why does the guide move to the next show when there is about 5 minutes left in the previous show. This was one of my pet pieves with the 8300 when browsing the guide. At least the Tivo does not ask if you want to record or just go to the station when you choose the program from teh guide like the 8300, but why not just keep the guide on the correct show until the show is over, then update the guide?

2. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    1) They've never had a list button. To get to the Now Playing you can hit the TiVo button twice.

2) Because at 7:55pm most people will want to see what is on at 8:00pm, not what started at 7:30pm, 25 minutes ago.

3. vstone

vstone Active Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...
    Ther is a list command that can be used by some programmable remotes.

4. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    north carolina
    Yes, the Harmony remotes database has the LIST button.

The Sony TiVo's used to have the List button on their remote.

5. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...

Advertisements

TiVo has never had this on any of their remotes, going all the way back to the S1. You just hit 'TiVo' twice. See this page for more shortcuts.

The IR code is in the box, so remotes that have the button, universal remotes, etc, can use it.

User testing showed that most users prefer it this way. In fact, a few revisions back there was a bug it an update that killed this functionality and there was an uproar from the user community and TiVo fixed the bug in the next update to bring it back.

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I wish they had an option to turn that 5 minute guide feature off. That is one feature that I dislike. When I look at a guide at xx:56 I expect it to show what is on now. It already shows whats coming up next on the list on the right.

7. wdwms

wdwms Member

Jan 10, 2003
    I can never understand this side of the argument for this feature. What could you possibly watch in the last 4 minutes? The last four minutes usually contain 2-3 minutes of commercials, then the "coming next time on Chico and the Man", credits scrolling by at mach 2 (in a side bar of course) complemented by an ad for the next reality TV series; then some more commercials and finally the next show.

Personally, I love the way that Tivo works. Don't tell me what I missed, tell me whats coming up!

-t

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It already tells you whats coming up. I see that already before it jumps ahead 5 minutes. Sometimes I see that I missed something and I will look for it to record in the future. Or I see what's listed and think that everything is going off when actually it hasn't started yet so I don't bother setting it to record and miss the show because I've turned off the Tv. An option to turn it on or off would appease both sides of the fence. I would think it would be easy to implement.

9. Chimpware

Chimpware New Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Actually you are not correct, the DirecTivo remote did have this button in the same place that the current Tivo remote has the Aspect button.

DirecTivo Remote

Thanks for the shortcut though.

10. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    The DirecTiVo boxes are not considered TiVo units, they're DirecTV units. All *TiVo* remotes have never had the List button - not the S1, S2, DVD combo, S2DT, S3, or TiVo HD.

DirecTV and Sony included the list button on their remotes, but that was not TiVo's doing.

11. Driller

Driller New Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Love the LIST button on my HR10-250. I'm sorry that it's not on my HD.

12. drew00001

drew00001 New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    This option might exist. There are tons of macros. Keep researching.